PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Ftb jitters?

Options

Comments

• kezzygirl
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    The car's MoT expired on 5th March 2016 and it's SORN, so it may not be going far anytime soon!

• Nearside Stop lamp not working (1.2.1b)
    • Offside Stop lamp not working (1.2.1b)
    • Offside Rear fog lamp not working (1.3.2b)
    • Nearside Rear Road wheel distorted (4.2.A.1a)
    • Offside Rear Tyre has a tear, caused by separation or partial failure of its structure (4.1.D.1b) Dangerous
    • Steering system has excessive free play detected at the steering wheel (steering rack fitted) both ends of steering rack (2.2.A.1b)
    • Nearside Front Brake pipe excessively corroded (3.6.B.2c)
    • Offside Front Brake pipe excessively corroded (3.6.B.2c)
    • Nearside Brake pipe excessively corroded front to rear (3.6.B.2c)
    • Exhaust emissions carbon monoxide content after 2nd fast idle excessive (7.3.D.3)

Can it be SORN on publicly accessible land belonging to a housing association?
    Oh blimey!!!
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    ess0two wrote: »
    Not as bad looking at the pics,6 months of not trimming those conifers,that container roof will be gone from sight.
    I'd be more worried about that flat roof leaking and the repair cost £££££
    I don't think you've quite got the hang of this thread.

A container is an inert object, unlikely to cause too much bother, but it's where the container is and what accompanies it which signifies a human presence with not much regard for the niceties of civilised life and behaviour.

Flat roof looks OK to me. Mind you, I'm not a surveyor. Bet you aren't either.

I'm a gardener, though, and half those leylandii are dead!
  • FTBScotland
    Options
    It sounds and looks as though this neighbour is a hoarder, and one certain thing with those types is that they continue to hoard. The junk will spread, and 'tinkering' often means noise on a weekend with revving engines. If they continue to accumulate junk could it infringe your acccess? I'd be too worried to carry on with the purchase. I'm completing in 4 weeks and have a few jitters, like do I like the decor, the new commute etc. but they're minor and all under my control. I've had awful neighbours before with clutter all over the place, it's awful. These people have zero respect or manners regarding space, tidiness and peace and quiet.
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 February 2018 at 9:44AM
    Options
    . I'm completing in 4 weeks and have a few jitters, like do I like the decor, the new commute etc. but they're minor and all under my control. I've had awful neighbours before with clutter all over the place, it's awful. These people have zero respect or manners regarding space, tidiness and peace and quiet.

Who buys a house based on the decor?:(

You'll soon discover the joy of wielding a paintbrush. ;)
  • Contessa
    Contessa Posts: 1,131 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    The car's MoT expired on 5th March 2016 and it's SORN, so it may not be going far anytime soon!

• Nearside Stop lamp not working (1.2.1b)
    • Offside Stop lamp not working (1.2.1b)
    • Offside Rear fog lamp not working (1.3.2b)
    • Nearside Rear Road wheel distorted (4.2.A.1a)
    • Offside Rear Tyre has a tear, caused by separation or partial failure of its structure (4.1.D.1b) Dangerous
    • Steering system has excessive free play detected at the steering wheel (steering rack fitted) both ends of steering rack (2.2.A.1b)
    • Nearside Front Brake pipe excessively corroded (3.6.B.2c)
    • Offside Front Brake pipe excessively corroded (3.6.B.2c)
    • Nearside Brake pipe excessively corroded front to rear (3.6.B.2c)
    • Exhaust emissions carbon monoxide content after 2nd fast idle excessive (7.3.D.3)

Can it be SORN on publicly accessible land belonging to a housing association?

Dave,
    You seem to have contacts in the police. Or, are you in MI5 or the CIA?

My respect and admiration for you grows!
  • Fisa002
    Fisa002 Posts: 145 Forumite
    Options
    After reading all this thread I!!!8217;m not surprised you have jitters. Me personally I would pull out and think that the money already paid is nothing in comparison to the possible future stress. Already you have been to the council to make further enquiries etc.

Also, in the worst case scenario if you did proceed and then find out that the neighbour and all the other issues you have mentioned are too much to deal with, then you could also be left with a house that no one else wants, because of the issues mentioned beforehand. And god forbid if you got into any disputes etc with the neighbours then you would also need to disclose these when trying to sell.

I think the majority of people on here have voiced their opinions. Now it!!!8217;s in your hands. I know it can be hard especially so near to completion but do what your heart tells you is right x
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    OP, buy these, do them up tightly, point yourself in opposite direction and off you go as fast as you can.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Options
    Contessa wrote: »
    Dave,
    You seem to have contacts in the police. Or, are you in MI5 or the CIA?
    I once had contacts in the police, but that was a long time ago.;)

A car's MoT data is now freely available from gov.uk, which can be very helpful when buying older cars to confirm mileage data, likely maintenance levels etc.

So, if the owner submits it for testing with a list of obvious defects like those in the example, one can conclude that it's not well looked after, they're not terribly bright and concern for anyone's safety/well-being isn't on their radar.
  • cloo
    cloo Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    Options
    I'm usually one for saying 'stick with it through the jitters', but these neighbours are very worrying. They're a factor that is almost certainly beyond your control and I agree there's a likelihood of increasing mess and possibly noise.

When added to concerns about distance and transport links, you don't want to find yourself in a situation where you want to sell up but can't.
  • kezzygirl
    Options
    Well, we did it. Pulled the plug. Emailed the solicitor today to confirm we are withdrawing. I feel relief. I don't want to live there- despite the house itself being nice, shame about the location. The pressure release is nice.

I did have a conversation with the estate agent yesterday, she was giving it the blurb 'oh, you know, he might be really nice and agree to move the stuff'.....'well, its up to the land owner to ask them to move it'....'oh, I dont think it would cause bad feeling because it wouldnt be coming from you, it would be coming from the land owner'...etc,etc

I asked her if she would like to live next door to someone whose back garden looks like steptoes yard? She stuttered a bit before saying he might be nice etc. She even tried saying she showed us round the back when we first viewed- told her that no, she didn't, and we only saw it on second viewing when we specifically went round the back to take pics for our solicitor. She said we wouldnt even see it from our back garden- told her its not the point. I asked her if she has even been around the back because I have, and I have pictures I can send her if she would like? She said she didnt think that would be necessary- HA!

So, its back to house hunting. Bit lighter in pocket, but wiser. Thanks to all who responded. kezz x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure