Add your feedback on Mobile Recycler Fonebank

Options

Comments

• Cloudane
    Cloudane Posts: 524 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh dear...
    They've had my phone since Thursday morning and it still says "Pending" on their site. Ironically I just received an email from them reminding ME!

Between this and the fact they don't send you a posting bag, I definitely prefer Mazuma (but for this phone, Fonebank were offering far more)
  • Cloudane
    Options
    Success! They finally got around to processing it and sent payment.

Slow, and poor communication when the receive the phone, but they do get there eventually. Sent last Tues, arrived Thurs, payment today (Tues)
  • Cloudane
    Options
    I called "success" too early, that was just them receiving the thing.
    Really not impressed - the whole process is taking forever, and like getting blood out of a stone.

Received an email midday Tuesday that payment had been sent via BACS.
    BACS normally takes 3 working days (including the day it's sent) (so that would be entered Tuesday, processed Wednesday, cleared Thursday)
    Nothing in my bank yesterday, I called my bank and had them check and they said there wasn't even anything showing up at the processing stage.
    So I called fonebank at about 17:15 and was told "the payment actually went out just before 6, and it's usually literally 48 hours so keep an eye on your account".. nothing happened. Double-checked my bank details, definitely correct.
    Looked this morning, STILL no payment.

Starting to have doubts that I'll get my money out of them at all.
  • Cloudane
    edited 12 November 2014 at 1:10PM
    Options
    Resolved. I'll stop spamming the thread with running commentary now.

Basically first they had a backlog, then they had a glitch on one of the days sending payment. But to be fair the lady on the CS line was friendly and helpful and they did get there in the end (even if it did take 2 weeks!)

I'd say keep an eye here and trustpilot before using just in case this is all down to Things Going Down behind the scenes over there, but it might have just been a bit of bad luck.
  • fallen121
    fallen121 Posts: 900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 22 November 2014 at 11:08AM
    Options
    I sold a Blackberry Playbook when I upgraded to Android. Only worth £15 so not worth using Special Delivery so I sent it by their Packet Post Service. Took it to the Post Office and requested the tracked receipt. Thought nothing of it.

A week later, I started getting "reminder" emails saying they hadn't received the Playbook and would I click the links in the email to confirm either that I had sent it or that I wanted to cancel the order. Trouble was, even when logged into Fonebank, clicking on the links in the email just took me to the Homepage. And there didn't seem to be anywhere in the site where I could click and confirm I'd sent the order. The emails then started saying if they didn't receive the device soon the order would be cancelled as they couldn't guarantee the price for longer than ten days.

I tried emailing. But despite the promised 48 hour response, no replies to any of my emails asking for help.

Then I thought I try tracking the package to see where it was. This was when I realised with horror that the guy at the village PO I don't use very often hadn't scanned the barcode and given me the proper tracked receipt, he'd just generated an ordinary Horizon Proof of Posting with the address on. I should have known better because this same bloke has done this to me before. He doesn't seem to know how to generate those Proof of Postings which show price paid and weight and stuff like that, you just get the Horizon receipts all the time. So asking for a tracked receipt would be like asking a four year old to split the atom. But this left me in a difficult position. Because now I had no way to prove where the parcel was or that it had even arrived. Just a receipt that said FONEBANK LTD.

So I went on Facebook and posted about my situation. Noting all the other people posting about phones which had also not been processed. Even tracked one which had arrived at the warehouse. Fonebank doesn't make a point of using Facebook for anything other than upbeat promotional messages. The never actually reply to anything.

Then things started to get stupid. I tweeted them a few times, asking why they would respond to my emails or Facebook posts and asking what I was supposed to do?

This morning I've discovered that they have sent me a number of Direct Message on Twitter. In order to read the messages, I have to go through a validation process called "True Twit" which is designed to root out spammers. Now even when logged into twitter whenever I click on the link for the Direct Messages it just takes me to a page which says "User has Been Validated". I can't find out how to actually read the messages or find out what has been said. And I can't reply to the Direct Messages because Fonebank don't follow me!

I am beginning to lose patience with the sophisticated attempts being made by this company to keep me at arms length, and also with the Post Office, whose incompetence has left me in a difficult position as regards actually proving where my parcel is.

Wish I'd just sold the Playbook on eBay now, but there are thousands of them on there, this seemed liked a quick way to get some much needed cash, but I've probably spent more in time trying to sort this mess out and am no nearer knowing what I am supposed to do now. :(
  • clarky_cat
    Options
    Just sold my Samsung Galaxy S2 for £41. Posted it on Friday, received the email yesterday and the money appeared in my account today.

I've used other Mobile recycling companies before and have always got less than the quote so it was great to get the full amount this time.

Great service, would recommend.
  • Airedalejoe
    Options
    iphone 5 16GB, offered £110.
    Received email saying they had revised amount to £80 as even though phone working fully and screen fine it had quite a few dents!!!!! It had a few marks but nothing major, not impressed. Asked for phone to be returned and won't use them again.
  • KevinG
    KevinG Posts: 1,865 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Superb service from Fonebank again, two phones, valued higher than any company on the MSE tool, both paid in full to my bank account within a week of sending at no cost to me and with Quidco cashback. Why isn't Fonebank in the MSE tool any more?
    2kWp Solar PV - 10*200W Kioto, SMA Sunny Boy 2000HF, SSE facing, some shading in winter, 37° pitch, installed Jun-2011, inverter replaced Sep-2017 AND Feb-2022.
  • The_Grateful_Ghoul
    Options
    I have a 6S Plus to sell, but it has a scratch on the screen (not crack) and looking for somebody that won't try to knock the price down too much, so might give these a try and report back.
  • kneilster
    Options
    After waiting 8 days they got in touch to tell me that my iphone6 was "pressure damaged" so they were subtracting £75 from the offer - despite this not being the case when I sent it. I packaged it in the original box / plastic mould tightly wrapped in a large jiffy so I don't see how it can have happened in transit.

I won't be using fonebank again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport