Anyone used Rointe heaters?

Options

Comments

• Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    Much of a muchness. TLC don't appear to do Creda Sunhouse. which is also a long established brand. Dealec have their own brand.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • 813swerve
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I am new to this and have read this blog with a great deal of interest.

We really need some help with resolving our heating needs and I want to expolre electric heating because it is relatively simple etc.

We have bought an old but reasonably well insulated house a year ago and have just finished working on it intending to rent it out for holiday rental (it is in Scotland). When we bought the house the previous owner had just spent a load on a biomass log boiler with buffer tanks and new radiators. The problem is we cannot expect people to keep refilling the log boiler and regulating it while they are on holiday. We thought of using the boiler to bring the 3 bedroom house up to ambient temp ready for a weeks let and then have wall mounted electric heaters to maintain that temperature.

Someone recommended a company called the Economy radiator Company. Having read this thread I would really welcome some advice on a system / thoughts etc. to resolve our predicament.

Many thanks
  • LittleVermin
    LittleVermin Posts: 737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 1 November 2012 at 2:06PM
    Options
    813swerve wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

I am new to this and have read this blog with a great deal of interest.

We really need some help with resolving our heating needs and I want to expolre electric heating because it is relatively simple etc.

<snip>

Someone recommended a company called the Economy radiator Company.
    <snip>

Welcome!

I hope you get lots of useful advice. There's a thread devoted to the "Economy Radiator Company" - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=56800463#post56800463

Lots more reading!

There are lots of these expensive electrical heaters - most make extravagant claims about how 'economical' they are. Some even include "test data" - which when you actually look at it (if you can) does not seem to back up the claims about "economy".

ALL electrical heaters put out the same amount of heat for each unit (kWh) of electricity. They are ALL 100% efficient at turning electrical energy into heat energy. If you use cheap rate electricity in a storage device you'll get more heat for your five pennies worth of electricity. Day time electricity is a very expensive (but convenient!) way of heating. You can check out relative costs of heating at http://www.nottenergy.com/energy_cost_comparison/energy_comparison_data/september_2012 (you just need to put in local costs).

Here are some more brands which probably come in the same stable as Rointe and the Economy Radiator Company: Farho, Suka, Redwell, ELTI, Calortec, Ducasa, intelliheat, .....

You may feel that your needs are better met by a cheap heater from e.g. Argos. There are recommended brands mentioned in the threads.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    813swerve wrote: »
    When we bought the house the previous owner had just spent a load on a biomass log boiler with buffer tanks and new radiators. The problem is we cannot expect people to keep refilling the log boiler and regulating it while they are on holiday.

You could probably charge extra rent for the eco-friendly carbon-neutral heating system.
  • Fluffwump
    Options
    This is all very interesting, and confirms what I had thought when reading the Rointe brochure, I have read more convincing stuff from Hans Christian Anderson to be honest, how can you create more Killowatts than you are pulling from the grid I ask you? Anyhow my question is.. I am a landlord and will be renting rooms including heating,they will only be used during the daytime, and may be only used for a few days a week, so I am looking for a programmable controllable electric (my only option) heat source, I would like to be the only person able to adjust the controls, as I don't want them to be left on overnight, and I don't want the heat turned up with the windows thrown open, I have been a landlord for many years I'm not being mean but this is what tennants are like! Does anyone know of any heaters that will fufill this purpose? I know the rointe ones will, but I don't want to pay their inflated prices just for this programming aspect... any help?
    Many Thanks
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    With 'normal' electrical heaters you can plug them in via timing sockets that are programable and even remotely controlled.

However I cannot see how you could stop a tenant overriding any settings for any system, including Rointe or any other overpriced heater.
  • Fluffwump
    Options
    [QUOTE

However I cannot see how you could stop a tenant overriding any settings for any system, including Rointe or any other overpriced heater.[/QUOTE]

No honestly the rointe can be programmed then locked which is why some schools are using them, this is the only feature that interests me, as I believe that their economy claims are bogus, but this lockable aspect I believe would save me a lot of money in the long term.
  • grahamc2003
    grahamc2003 Posts: 1,771 Forumite
    Options
    Fluffwump wrote: »
    [QUOTE

No honestly the rointe can be programmed then locked which is why some schools are using them, this is the only feature that interests me, as I believe that their economy claims are bogus, but this lockable aspect I believe would save me a lot of money in the long term.

Welcome new poster. I find it a little strange you have quite a deep understanding of quite a vague functionality of Ronte heater, yet you don't seem to be able to find out whether other heaters have similar functionality.

Anyhow, you're going against the previous selling point of Ronte heaters, which was their controllability. Now you seem to want complete uncontrollability - so if someone is cold, they can't do a thing about it!

Is there an element of role playing here? You are playing the part of a landlord/school employee who can save a lot of money by using Ronte heaters?

I'd say it would be trivial for anyone with a bit of glue to take away the ability of control on any heater at all - you don't have to pay big bucks for that lack of control!
  • Fluffwump
    Fluffwump Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 3 November 2012 at 4:53PM
    Options
    Welcome new poster. I find it a little strange you have quite a deep understanding of quite a vague functionality of Ronte heater, yet you don't seem to be able to find out whether other heaters have similar functionality.

I was hoping that someone would be able to help me short cut all the searching and point me in the dirction of cheaper heaters with the same functionality

Anyhow, you're going against the previous selling point of Ronte heaters, which was their controllability. Now you seem to want complete uncontrollability - so if someone is cold, they can't do a thing about it!

I don't see how you come to that conclusion, it's just that i want to be the one in control not the tenant

Is there an element of role playing here? You are playing the part of a landlord/school employee who can save a lot of money by using Ronte heaters?

What?!! no no role playing I am a genuine lanlord

I'd say it would be trivial for anyone with a bit of glue to take away the ability of control on any heater at all - you don't have to pay big bucks for that lack of control!

What on earth are you talking about, if you don't have anything constructive to add ..... well you can supply and end to that sentence! or are you just trolling?
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    Fluffwump wrote: »
    No honestly the rointe can be programmed then locked which is why some schools are using them,

Some of the dimplex heater ranges have controls which are tamper-resistant, or can be controlled by a central controller which you could lock in a cupboard.

Or you could use impulse timer switches where the tenant can press a button and gets an hour of heat, then the heater turns off. The dimplex equivalent allow a set-back temperature for background heating and frost protection.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback