Anyone used Rointe heaters?

Options

Comments

• penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dimplex is a well known reliable make, what about these?

http://www.e-tradecounter.co.uk/p-157-monterey-electric-panel-heater.aspx#.UK4o_tc7nEQ

They are a little pricey however have a frost stat and optional plug in timer.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • Rightsofway
    Options
    penrhyn,
    Good advice, I am now investigating the Dimplex Monterey Electric Panel Heater. I think this is a good priced, well reviewed wall heater. I like the water / splash proof rating, good for a property that may have a low level flood. You may have just saved me a lot of money.....Thank you..... Rightsofway
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 23 November 2012 at 12:59PM
    Options
    Pleased I could help, I am in no way connected to Dimplex.
    I have used their oil filled radiators in the past and they last donkey's years.
    Creda appear to sell the same range under the Contour 100 name.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • Bspks
    Options
    penrhyn wrote: »
    Pleased I could help, I am in no way connected to Dimplex.
    I have used their oil filled radiators in the past and they last donkey's years.
    Creda appear to sell the same range under the Contour 100 name.

Heatstore Dynamic Radiators are also exactly the same and come with the plug-in 7 day timer supplied as standard, rather than as an extra like Dimplex.
    They are also slightly cheaper than the Dimplex ones.
  • Cknocker
    Cknocker Posts: 235 Forumite
    Options
    My father in law has decided he wants to purchase new "Efficient German Heaters", he asked me my opinion last night and to be honest I a sceptical on massive increases in efficiency, even with a purchase cost of £3,500!!! As that buys a lot of electric!

I've been looking around at different makes which all seem much of a muchness to me, although an electrician today I spoke to recommended Rointe, hence how I've ended up here (From what I can can see Rointe seem to target the trade, unlike say Fischer who seem to target the consumer).

I can see a few people here are even more sceptical than me - I can see some cost saving over a storage heater due to a quicker reaction time meaning less over heating, however I would have thought you are looking at less than 10%. However that would be countered by a loss of cheap rate electric in my opinion.

The issues start when you consider the house construction, which is cavity with no insulation, large areas of window (Although double glazed) and no loft insulation. i.e. high heat loss!!!

My Father in Laws prime problem with Storage Heaters is that they are cold by the evening - in my mind to counter that he needs larger heaters, which with a higher stored heat capacity could be set to release the heat at a slower rate and hence provide useful heat later. Another option would be an E10 Tariff but they seem like hens teeth now!

That becomes a problem in itself, in that I don't think I can find sufficient wall space to fit larger heaters to, which then lead me towards either something like the Dimplex Duoheat or a combined Night Store/Convector, which would enable a boost in the evening.

The next issue is he wanted to fit the "German Heaters" in the bedrooms as well - there is currently no heating in the bedrooms, my own personal thoughts here is that due to the fact that bedrooms are generally unoccupied during the day, the best course of action would be to install timer controlled panel/convector heater which would also be able to use the off peak over night.

Would anyone here recommend this approach or another?
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Cknocker wrote: »
    Would anyone here recommend this approach or another?

There are two issues here:

1. Continue with storage heaters or change to 'normal' electrical heating.

2. If the latter what type of electrical heating.

Firstly there is no doubt that storage heaters have disadvantages. As you state they can 'run out of heat' in the evening if they are used all day, and the E7 tariff means you pay extra for all daytime(17 hours) electricity.

On the other hand the majority of the heating and hot water will use cheap off-peak electricty.

The combined heaters like Duoheat do nothing more than a storage heater and cheap £10 fan heater would achieve.

Personally I would favour continuing with storage heaters and accepting that you will need some additional heating in the evenings.

However if he does decide to ditch storage heating it is just plain crazy to even think of paying £3,500 for electrical heating.

You really must impress upon him that these 'efficient' German heaters produce no more heat, for the same running cost, as ANY other electrical heater; and that includes a £10 fan heater, £20 oil filled radiator etc.

That is not an opinion, it is an absolute fact!
  • Cknocker
    Options
    I accept totally what you say about additional standalone heater as opposed to the duoheat, the problem is I don't think the in laws will ever accept having to put additional heaters to "boost" the prime heating, ultimately there I guess we are looking at aesthetics, so an all in one unit is going to be the only acceptable solution, personally myself I think I would go for the combined Convector/Storage range like the CXLS.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    Cknocker wrote: »
    My Father in Laws prime problem with Storage Heaters is that they are cold by the evening ....

The next issue is he wanted to fit the "German Heaters" in the bedrooms as well - there is currently no heating in the bedrooms, my own personal thoughts here is that due to the fact that bedrooms are generally unoccupied during the day, the best course of action would be to install timer controlled panel/convector heater which would also be able to use the off peak over night.

It's normal for lounges in E7 houses to have a decorative electric fire which provides the evening boost if needed.

Panel heaters, timer controlled if wanted, are usual in bedrooms and will use the off peak rate overnight. They do not need to be the "German Heaters" but you might want to pay for ones with electronic thermostats and timers as the mechanical ones go clicky-clicky all night long which may be distracting.

Fan assisted storage heaters store more heat, and the fan controls the output better, but they're expensive and bulkier than ordinary storage heaters.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    Read this, a good example of someone just last week facing similar choices, your FIL £3,500 compared to £1,200 install costs. On heating costs your FIL will pay 100% for all electricity including water. The example I offered you has 3x Duo heaters, 6 panel heaters and a tank of boiling water every day at half the cost, and that poster had reasonable single level living and insulation.

- all sparkys, if they are fitting will recommended Roin£e its like installing a kettle, its a 13a plug
    - cavity with no insulation, large areas of window, no loft insulation and three times the price for electricity
    -'cold by the evening' is because not sufficient storage of the cheap stuff was installed in the first place
    - Dimplex Duoheat range [Radiant] is an excellent product
    - the biggest duo-heat they do is a small [by comparison with a 3.4 non-duo] at 2.6kW / 0.54kW ditto their cxls
    - 'German Heaters' in the bedrooms ridiculous price, panel heaters will do the same job, see #44
    - 'don't think I can find sufficient wall space' - two choices, (1) store sufficient or (2) pay twice the price for heat & water
    - need more reading put the word > snake < into the search button on the TRHS

Read the threads I gave and get back with your questions, best of luck. Ultimately your in laws have three choices (1) lose the aesthetics (2) lose a lot of unnecessary money on extra compensating energy that will rise year on year (3) stay cold .. .. because the storage capacity of cheap stuff and the flexibility of the system was inadequate in the first place, and they want it remain under capacity and inflexible. Changing to a modern duo will occupy no more real estate than the one you chuck out.

NOTE : Do your FIL an extra favour, ring him and check he has not already been in touch, and had a deposit taken and a contract signed .. .. go on ask him quick in case the appointment is tomorrow .. .. ask him !
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    -'cold by the evening' is because not sufficient storage of the cheap stuff was installed in the first place

But also because we expect houses to be warmer. In the 60s and 70s 17degC was probably considered warm - many houses still had no central heating - now the recommended temperatures are 18-21degC and higher for the elderly.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback