PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Other thread opened my eyes

Options

Comments

• lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    David.......thanks for those kind words and sharing your experience of counselling. I'm glad it helped you.

I am sure that you did everything you could for your mum. And that you did it with love and true feeling.

I was a carer for my husband for nine long years and It was a steep Learning curve. I am sure if I had to do it again there are things I could have done better or least differently. Same with my mum.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. I am sure we can all make wiser decisions with a bit of prior knowledge or experience but we can only work with what we have at the time.

All we can do is our best.
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    DavidF and everyone else who has had the courage to post here.

This makes me realise how true the saying is, "Be kind to everyone, for everyone is fighting a hard battle that you know nothing about."

Thank God for places like this where people can find friends and acceptance.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 23 January 2017 at 4:11PM
    Options
    Litchielou wrote: »
    The reason I go for 2 long hours is I live 10 miles away thank goodness. Good news I won't be going today as it's very foggy and forecast to get worse, I have to drive through country lanes to get to hers.
    I have noticed that everyone who has issues with theres calls her Mother but those close its Mum.
    x

Not quite the case imo.

I call mine "mother". It started some time back in teenage years and then stayed that way.

The woman who is my mother is someone who admits to never having wanted to be a mother (but we hadnt got to the age of contraceptive pill and abortion yet) - so there wasnt a totally free choice about it that I've had (thank goodness:)).

She's not the worlds easiest person to get on with and she isnt a Mum. But she's my mother and I'll "defend" her if need be. I sympathise with her (a lot actually...) that she didnt have the choice I've had as to whether to have children or no. I know my generation onwards are blessed to have that choice at last and feel so sorry for men for not having that choice yet and so pleased they will have it soon:T. In my agegroup I am shocked at the realisation that's been dawning in recent years that even female friends of mine in my agegroup don't seem to have given their husbands their 50% share of the say as to whether to conceive a child or no and I'm struggling at dealing with them having done that - as, in other respects, they are decent people. But, in that respect - words fail me...at thinking of their poor husbands not being given their "say" in this. It looks as if only one of my female friends allowed their husband to have his 50% share of the say about that and accepted he refused to have more than one child.

I know that - despite children not having been her choice and that she is "damaged" in some ways (her mother didnt want to be a mother either/going through a major World War/etc) that she has tried to do what she can to be a responsible mother. No - she hasnt fully succeeded imo (ie she does rather have my brother as a "favourite" and that's not right obviously). But she has tried hard to deal with being a parent and do it properly and eventually learnt to accept that I'm a rather different person to what she had hoped for as a daughter.

But...yep...the habit of calling her "mother" has stuck and I think we both accept she isn't a "mum" type person. A "mum" is someone that actively wanted children/put them first/etc/etc and will probably try and act in a "mum" type way to pretty much anyone that is young enough to be "theirs".

So - there is a level of acceptance for us both on both our parts after all these years and I feel sorry for her for the position she is in and she seems to have finally accepted how different I am to her. We rub along...

I think what I'm trying to say is one can feel sympathy/empathy for someone that didnt choose to be a parent and we do have to bear in mind that we (ie us Baby Boomers women) are the first generation that have had the ability to choose (ie that pill/abortion). We are blessed with that being available at last. Those who became parents up to and including the 1960s may not have chosen to be parents and some of them will not try that hard. Others will accept that it's not our fault that we turned up anyway and get on and make the best of things and - come the end - then we've forged a reasonable relationship and it's based on both sides having accepted that it wasnt a relationship of choice and then deciding to make the best of things and not the fault of either of them and get on with making the best of things.

The generation of people now late teenage will have the choice there for both sexes - and both sexes will be blessed by knowing that they will only be parents by choice (not because methods arent available to deal with this or women arent allowing their men to have their say and are forcing parenthood on them regardless). The men that are currently up to 15 years of age or so are blessed too - because they will be able to prevent parenthood.

The generation that will be born to those 15 years old and downwards are very blessed - as they will know both parents chose to be parents. Meanwhile - it's fair enough to "cut some slack" for those who are mothers of my generation upwards and also for men of, say, 15 years old upwards - as they may not have chosen to be parents.
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    I call my Mam, Mam but I notice when I write about the pain I call her Mother.
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    My sister and I are both estranged from our brother who was my mother's very clear favourite as in "get up from that chair and let your brother sit down". I think after she died he expected us to pander to him in the same way.
    My sister and I are close - she is 14 years older than I am and the only person I experienced any kindness from in my childhood. I consider myself fortunate that my mother died when I was 16 and I went to live with my sister. My life got a lot better then. She also finds it hard to forgive her.

But I have been happily married for 30 years - well apart from when I contemplate burying him under the patio. And I have two beautiful daughters. And as long as nothing dreadful happens to them I can honestly say I will have had a happy life
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Options
    Reading through this thread makes me realise how much I love my mum.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    I loved my Mam too it's just that she couldn't cope with the hand she had been dealt and therefore the choices she made became addiction which in turn caused a lot of unnecessary pain for me and my sister.

We're all flawed as parents and as offspring. Essentially we are our own people with our own ideas. Sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't. For me love doesn't come into it. It's about how we cope with our lot. Some of us can while some of us can't cope. The nature v's nurture debate is age old.
  • spirit
    spirit Posts: 2,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 24 January 2017 at 3:37PM
    Options
    Thank you for starting this thread

I too have a Mother and not a mum. Most definitely narcissistic too!

My mother I guess didn't actively choose to be a mother, it was more of what was expected at that time, in addition to the limited choices or whether to or not.

To cut a long story short, she married again after her divorce, but her reasons for doing so were based on having someone provide for her. She chose someone who would now be known as a pee do, wasn't so talked about then. so my sister and I suffered. She said I was making it up when I told her - so I ran away from home at aged 16 and had little to do with her. then about 15 years ago, there was a 'discussion' over the phone and I've not spoken to her since. The 'kiddiefiddler' died just before then and I'd refused to go to his funeral.

The funny thing is, she always held the view that you had children to look after you in your old age. But for 15 years, 2 of us have had nothing to do with her (my elder sister wasn't affected).

Even now she refuses to accept her part in what happened, so yes, she is reaping her sowings.
    Mortgage free as of 10/02/2015. Every brick and blade of grass belongs to meeeee. :j
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Options
    Spirit....what a brave person you are. What a sorry tale. My heart goes out to you.

Spent the day with my sister, we talked a lot. I think it was good and it did clear the air a bit. She was shocked at some of my revelations about how dad had treated me. I am 11 years older than her, so there's a lot she didn't know. Hopefully now she will be a bit more understanding about why I feel so conflicted.

She has repeatedly asked me to contribute some nice little stories for dad's eulogy. In the end I had to tell her there were no nice stories. I simply have no happy or fond memories, not one.

At first she found this difficult to believe but after our talk I think she finally got a clearer picture of how things have been all these years and why I have kept a healthy distance.

After much deliberation I have decided I will go the funeral and I will put in an appearance at the wake, although I may not stay long. I am still dreading it but I think I will feel worse if I don't go. At least I will have done my duty and shown my resoect, which is more than he did for my Late husband - my father refused to attend my husband's funeral.

Hey ho.....at least I will feel I've "done the right thing"

My stomach is still in knots - hopefully I'll start to get better after the funeral.
  • Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well done for opening up to your sister; not always an easy thing to do after keeping quiet for many years. Hope the funeral and wake go as well as they can for you x

I wanted to post as this thread really struck a chord with me!

My relationship with my mother is very difficult; growing up she was mentally abusive to both me & my older brother with a lot of emotional blackmail, amongst many other things I chose not to share.

I keep her at arms distance- am a friend on Facebook and speak with her if my brother decides to call her while I am there but that is it. I have made a happy healthy life for myself and part of the self preservation is keeping destructive/emotionall abusive people out of it.

Conversely, I've been in three long term relationships and with each I have gotten on marvelously with their mothers and called them mum :heartpuls:
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure