Getting a divorce just found out our property is owned by my husband's mother

Options

Comments

• FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am in the early stages of getting a divorce I have 2 children with him and we been together for 5 years before I seek professional help I wanted to just ask on here quickly to see what I'm dealing with.
    But married for how long? Because married 5 years is already not guaranteed to be considered a long marriage, but if 'it's only 5 years together' and married years left, then it's even more precarious.

Are the kids his?
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    If she was contributing towards the 'mortgage' and it was really rent going to her MIL, it shows the level of deceit her husband and his family were willing to stoop to.

fairy_woman - you need to get legal advice on your situation.

When this is all sorted out, be grateful that his true colours have been shown now and that you haven't spend a lifetime with someone who was prepared to lie to you over such a fundamental issue.

The Op has already said there is no mortgage.

Yes it is deceitful to lie about owning the house but the Op seems just as bad saying she would not have married him if she knew he did not own the house!
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    FBaby wrote: »
    ..Are the kids his?

The OP refers to "my children" rather than 'our children'. So it would be a question worth asking.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Options
    I have 2 children with him
    antrobus wrote: »
    The OP refers to "my children" rather than 'our children'. So it would be a question worth asking.

Its in the OP.
  • davidwood123
    davidwood123 Posts: 471 Forumite
    edited 10 May 2017 at 3:23PM
    Options
    If the ex can now home and care for the children better than the OP, I hope he get's custody.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,961 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    3) Wouldn't have married him if she had known he didn't own a house!

I wouldn't marry someone either if I discovered that they had so little faith in the marriage they were putting assets into their mother's name. A profoundly paranoid and stupid move as at any time the mother could throw both son and daughter-in-law out of the house, sell it and use it to start a new life with a young stud named Pedro she met in Cape Verde. By giving it to a parent the son risks losing the lot, whereas if divorce does happen he stands to lose half - subject to the needs of the children and the terms of the settlement.

"Ah but I'm sure he can trust his own mother more than his wife" you say. Paranoid people aren't trustworthy. They're liable to do anything at any time because their tinfoil hat started itching. And apples don't fall far from their trees.

If the mother goes under a bus the taxman could take nearly as much in Inheritance Tax (40%) as the wife would in the event of divorce.

People are far too quick to cry "golddigger" on this forum. The OP's statement "I would never of gone through the marriage itself if I knew his mother owned the property" [i.e. if she knew that their husband-to-be was a paranoid irrational lying git] is basic common sense and anyone who thinks it makes her a golddigger needs to take a look at themselves.

OP - you need to take advice from a solicitor. But the peanut gallery is correct that you may be well advised to take your husband's offer.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    Malthusian wrote: »
    I wouldn't marry someone either if I discovered that they had so little faith in the marriage they were putting assets into their mother's name. A profoundly paranoid and stupid move as at any time the mother could throw both son and daughter-in-law out of the house, sell it and use it to start a new life with a young stud named Pedro she met in Cape Verde. By giving it to a parent the son risks losing the lot, whereas if divorce does happen he stands to lose half - subject to the needs of the children and the terms of the settlement. - It seems in this case a profoundly clever choice.....

"Ah but I'm sure he can trust his own mother more than his wife" you say. Paranoid people aren't trustworthy. - it's not paranoia if it's true.... They're liable to do anything at any time because their tinfoil hat started itching. And apples don't fall far from their trees.

If the mother goes under a bus the taxman could take nearly as much in Inheritance Tax (40%) as the wife would in the event of divorce. - indeed, but she didn't. The ex wife however is trying to....

People are far too quick to cry "golddigger" on this forum. The OP's statement "I would never of gone through the marriage itself if I knew his mother owned the property" [i.e. if she knew that their husband-to-be was a paranoid irrational lying git] is basic common sense and anyone who thinks it makes her a golddigger needs to take a look at themselves. - No, it's quite clear the implication is to do with ownership not trust.

OP - you need to take advice from a solicitor. But the peanut gallery is correct that you may be well advised to take your husband's offer.

Paranoid and irrational... I love it. Shame he was right!
  • emmatthews
    emmatthews Posts: 678 Forumite
    Options
    How did you find out? If you have only been told it by him or MIL then I would check with the land registry. I think it costs around £3.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It seems in this case a profoundly clever choice.....
    Maybe indeed, but then still going ahead and father two children certainly wasn't if he had such doubts to start with.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    FBaby wrote: »
    Maybe indeed, but then still going ahead and father two children certainly wasn't if he had such doubts to start with.

True, assuming they were planned which often kids aren't.

In any case, the kids could always stay at home with the dad. This is a divorce between 2 adults afterall, the kids don't automatically have to leave.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure