Getting a divorce just found out our property is owned by my husband's mother

Options

Comments

• paddy's_mum
    paddy's_mum Posts: 3,977 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 10 May 2017 at 7:31PM
    Options
    There are several very good reasons why someone might not want to progress a relationship into the formality of marriage including loss of previous pension rights or entitlements, 'ownership' of children, the giving up of a council house or other secure tenancy...I got the impression that the OP's comment was more to do with this aspect than in any overt gold-digging.

Either way, it would appear that husband and mother conspired to conceal the facts while happily taking the wife's money, effort and financial contributions over a long period of time and in the same shoes, I'm sure that I too would be reeling with shock, fear and mistrust.

Good luck, OP.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    there are some true colour in this thread, and they are the OP's

1)OP knew they weren't paying mortgage or rent
    2)Think paying for bills and furniture makes them entitled to the house, when they are just living expenses
    3) Wouldn't have married him if she had known he didn't own a house!

Seems like the person who know the OP best has had a lucky escape!

Thats the sum of it. The O/P seems to think that paying towards some furniture and day to day living expenses entitled them to "joint own" the property. :eek:

I am sure the O/P is gutted - but for all the wrong reasons....
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Either way, it would appear that husband and mother conspired to conceal the facts while happily taking the wife's money, effort and financial contributions over a long period of time and in the same shoes, I'm sure that I too would be reeling with shock, fear and mistrust.

Good luck, OP.

Taking the wifes money, effort and financial contributions? You mean like buying or part buying some furniture now and again and contributing towards household bills?

That entitles you to half a house does it?

Where do i sign up?
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,778 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 May 2017 at 11:17AM
    Options
    no mortgage

I understand now its not his but from the start I thought it was his I even paid for many of the bills and new furniture and works needed in the house thinking it was his. You would have had bills to pay no matter who owned the house so that point is not really relevant. Furniture would be considered communal property and you can expect this to be split between you.

I would never of gone through the marriage itself if I knew his mother owned the property I have also proof of him saying he owned the property. So you only married him because you thought he owned property? Nice! You may have proof that he lied to you but that won't entitle you to a share of his mothers property.

No doubt you have been deceived and that was a crappy thing for your husband to do. However, the fact that he lied to you does not entitle you to a payout. You have the offer of a deposit on another property and it would probably be prudent to take that. I would expect that your husband will be expected to make some financial provision for his children also. At the end of the day you need to take this to a solicitor who will advise you based on the specific circumstances of your case but I would not expect any kind of settlement from the house.

It is always hard to discover that you have been deceived by someone close, particularly when that person is your husband or wife. But the truth of the matter is that, in almost every case, this would not render the culprit liable to make financial compensation. Get a decent brief and sort things with regards to the divorce as best you can.
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP when did you find out there was no mortgage? We're these "household bills" a contribution to electric/gas/shopping or have you been led to think you're handing over £X to pay for the mortgage and your husband has pocketed the cash?

I wouldn't marry OH if he hadn't had his flat, we would have married eventually but the money we saved would have been put towards a house before we paid for a wedding, maybe this is what the OP means?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'd be more concerned that if he could lie about something as big as that, what else could he be lying about?
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    Judi wrote: »
    I'd be more concerned that if he could lie about something as big as that, what else could he be lying about?

Theyre getting divorced - I don't think that matters now
  • kev25v6
    kev25v6 Posts: 235 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd be causing havoc in the house if after years of paying into it I found out I had no claim on it at all.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Am I the only one here thinking the guy was very sensible.

If you take the emotion out of it why wouldnt you protect your assets if the other party brings nothing to the table.

Relationships frequently break down and to run the risk of losing everything seems foolish in the extreme tbh. If you are older you dont have time on your side to make yourself financially stable again.

For me the deception has been not telling OP the true situation rather than the act itself.

As it transpires the relationship has broken down after a short time so he has been wise in hindsight.
  • davidwood123
    davidwood123 Posts: 471 Forumite
    Options
    BBH123 wrote: »
    Am I the only one here thinking the guy was very sensible.

If you take the emotion out of it why wouldnt you protect your assets if the other party brings nothing to the table.

Relationships frequently break down and to run the risk of losing everything seems foolish in the extreme tbh. If you are older you dont have time on your side to make yourself financially stable again.

For me the deception has been not telling OP the true situation rather than the act itself.

As it transpires the relationship has broken down after a short time so he has been wise in hindsight.

No. I think the majority are with you.

It's not as if he transferred ownership after they were married. It was always his mothers house.

I think he's either been very lucky or very clever.

Lucky if he told a white lie to impress her and never corrected it.

Clever if he thought he'd see how the relationship turned out. ( considering her views, it was a result)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure