Getting a divorce just found out our property is owned by my husband's mother

Options

Comments

• Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,690 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well suspect we have a chap who wanted to appear more affluent and successful than he actually was.

Owning a house outright- at least that is what he told the ladies.

Only thing is, it was his mum who owned it (and probably had funded all along) - is he really going to admit to this?
  • gycraig_2
    gycraig_2 Posts: 533 Forumite
    Options
    What have you realistically missed out on. If you hadn't met him you would of thrown thousands and thousands away on rent over 5 years.

If you paid some gas and electric maybe some broadband and some furniture you have done very well.

you are lucky he is willing to pay a deposit for you to buy your own house in all honesty
  • borkid
    borkid Posts: 2,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    gycraig wrote: »
    What have you realistically missed out on. If you hadn't met him you would of thrown thousands and thousands away on rent over 5 years.

If you paid some gas and electric maybe some broadband and some furniture you have done very well.

you are lucky he is willing to pay a deposit for you to buy your own house in all honesty
    Possibly quite a lot. It depends on what she based her decisions on.

Before I married we agreed to have a family and because of how we agreed to bring up the children I didn't persue my career as actively as I would have done had the prospect of children not been there. For example I turned down the opportunity of doing a PhD because I was planning to give up work in about 5 years and OH was studying. I also turned down the offer of a lecture tour of the states after my first was born. There were many other instances as well, those are the two main ones.

I don't regret any of the decisions made but we're still together 43 years later but I wasn't lied to about money.

You don't know what opportunities the OP has given up to contribute to the family. and how that might affect her future.
  • yvonne13_2
    yvonne13_2 Posts: 1,955 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm finding this hard to belive. Why didn't you buy a new house together or get your name on the deads before you said "I do"?
    It's better to regret something I did do than to regret something that I didn’t. :EasterBun
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,975 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    What have you realistically missed out on.
    Five years she could have been in, or seeking, a relationship with someone who isn't a waste of space. Plus what Borkid said.
    yvonne13 wrote: »
    I'm finding this hard to belive. Why didn't you buy a new house together or get your name on the deads before you said "I do"?

Presumably the house they had was perfectly suitable. And if you're under the assumption that your husband is telling the truth and the house belongs to him, why would you ask him to put your name on the deeds? If the marriage lasts there's no point (if your Wills are up to date) and if it doesn't there's even less point as the assets will be divided the same way whether your name is on the deeds or not.

Asking someone to hand over their assets to you before the vows are exchanged would be quite bizarre and the sort of thing that a golddigger would actually do (unlike saying "I wouldn't have married him if I knew he was a liar"). You could then jilt them at the altar and take half of all their stuff.
  • davidwood123
    davidwood123 Posts: 471 Forumite
    Options
    I presume from your outrage OP you entered the marriage with a house of your own or at least an equal amount of assets?

Actually, you probably did.......you both had nothing!
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    warehouse wrote: »
    OK, now it's pretty obvious this is simply a trolling post. Too much to soon, good try.

Exactly. OP joins on 10 May, makes 3 posts in an hour and then logs out and has not logged in since.
  • Ronaldo_Mconaldo
    Options
    It's all fictional, the owners of this site pay a company to make up stories that are so onbviously untrue just to keep traffic going on here.
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,243 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    jondav wrote: »
    Judging from this bit quoted, I completely agree. Sounds like he had a lucky escape!

Hardly. He has two children under 5. It's going to cost him dear, hopefully.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • gycraig_2
    gycraig_2 Posts: 533 Forumite
    Options
    borkid wrote: »
    Possibly quite a lot. It depends on what she based her decisions on.

Before I married we agreed to have a family and because of how we agreed to bring up the children I didn't persue my career as actively as I would have done had the prospect of children not been there. For example I turned down the opportunity of doing a PhD because I was planning to give up work in about 5 years and OH was studying. I also turned down the offer of a lecture tour of the states after my first was born. There were many other instances as well, those are the two main ones.

I don't regret any of the decisions made but we're still together 43 years later but I wasn't lied to about money.

You don't know what opportunities the OP has given up to contribute to the family. and how that might affect her future.

How would him not owning a house outright at the start of the relationship affect any of that ?.

If I'd been living rent free for 5 years with a gf because she owned a house and I hadn't paid rent I wouldn't even consider trying to go for a share of the equity.

She's been lied to which is bad but she's basically had 5 years rent free in her boyfriends mums house

Pre relationship assetts should be irellevant in the divorce proceedings but they aren't. Don't hate the player hate the game
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure