🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Getting a divorce just found out our property is owned by my husband's mother

Options

Comments

• Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Options

It's not as if he transferred ownership after they were married. It was always his mothers house.

Really, I think in reality it's always been his house. How long do you think it will take for the ownership to be changed back after the divorce is final? Do you think he'd on board with his mother selling the house and keeping all the proceeds, or putting other tenants in and keeping all the rent, as a true owner of the house would be perfectly entitled to do?
  • davidwood123
    davidwood123 Posts: 471 Forumite
    Options
    My wife has parents who have three houses. One will be left to my wife. She lived in it before I met her.

Even though she thinks it's hers and calls it hers......it isn't!
  • Tammykitty
    Tammykitty Posts: 1,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's not as if he transferred ownership after they were married. It was always his mothers house.

My husband told me he owned the house before we got married but I just found out he put it on his mother's name before we got married I thought all along he owned the house this has come as a shock to me.

It reads to me as if it was the husbands house and he transferred it before they got married - I think he did own it at one stage
    GlasweJen wrote: »
    OP when did you find out there was no mortgage? We're these "household bills" a contribution to electric/gas/shopping or have you been led to think you're handing over £X to pay for the mortgage and your husband has pocketed the cash?

I wouldn't marry OH if he hadn't had his flat, we would have married eventually but the money we saved would have been put towards a house before we paid for a wedding, maybe this is what the OP means?

Its quite conceivable that the OP didn't think they had a mortgage - the house could have been an inheritance or he could have been given the money (possibly inherited) the money to buy it.

My husband owns a house jointly with a family member and as its owned as joint tenants I won't live in it until this issue is resolved, as I (and any children we could have) could be kicked out if anything happened to my husband.
    I wouldn't not marry him because of it - but I wouldn't live in the house.

I can see why the OP is so upset, if they hadn't have been divorcing and instead something tragic happened - the OP would be left with nothing.
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    This can't be solved online. You have to engage a good solicitor.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,980 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Guest101 wrote: »
    Paranoid and irrational... I love it. Shame he was right!

What, right that the relationship would break down? Of course he was, that's a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you go into a marriage certain that it's not going to work, you will be correct.
  • cashbackproblems
    Options
    Is there a way of transferring a property to parents before marriage? Its currently in my name only witha a mortgage which i would continue paying.
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    Is there a way of transferring a property to parents before marriage? Its currently in my name only witha a mortgage which i would continue paying.

Nope not with a mortgage on the property.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,177 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 May 2017 at 8:08AM
    Options
    Nope not with a mortgage on the property.
    Exactly, which is why I don't believe what the OP has been told below
    My husband told me he owned the house before we got married but I just found out he put it on his mother's name before we got married I thought all along he owned the house this has come as a shock to me.
    Either there was no mortgage on the property at this point, or it was his Mum's property from the beginning. Or he's lying in an attempt for OP not to have any claim.

I don't know enough about it to say if someone owning a (mortgaged)property can later add their parent. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can confirm. But if you can then the property would be jointly owned

OP- What about bank statements or on-line banking, Did you not see transactions for x account going into a bank/building society each month; mine against the payment is listed as 'mortgage'
  • borkid
    borkid Posts: 2,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Spendless wrote: »

Either there was no mortgage on the property at this point, or it was his Mum's property from the beginning. Or he's lying in an attempt for OP not to have any claim.

I don't know enough about it to say if someone owning a (mortgaged)property can later add their parent. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can confirm. But if you can then the property would be jointly owned

OP- What about bank statements or on-line banking, Did you not see transactions for x account going into a bank/building society each month; mine against the payment is listed as 'mortgage'
    I would never have seen this as OH kept all the accounts I could have looked but I trusted him. That's the problem the OP trusted her husband to tell her the truth and reacted accordingly.

I would never have lived in a house owned by a family member my experiences of mine are not positive especially where money is concerned. As someone has already said if told before marriage that the house was owned by MIL then they would have waited to save for a mortgage or rent and get a place themselves it's nothing to do with being a 'gold digger'.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Spendless wrote: »

From pretty early on in the thread:
    no mortgage

I understand now its not his but from the start I thought it was his I even paid for many of the bills and new furniture and works needed in the house thinking it was his.

I would never of gone through the marriage itself if I knew his mother owned the property I have also proof of him saying he owned the property.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport