🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Getting a divorce just found out our property is owned by my husband's mother

Options
I am in the early stages of getting a divorce I have 2 children with him and we been together for 5 years before I seek professional help I wanted to just ask on here quickly to see what I'm dealing with.

My husband told me he owned the house before we got married but I just found out he put it on his mother's name before we got married I thought all along he owned the house this has come as a shock to me.

what does this leave me and my children in terms of a settlement? He said to me he is willing to me put a deposit on a flat but he does not want me to have a share of the property this is what's really hurting me at the moment. Do you I have any chance of getting share of his property since I was working for the 5 years and contributing to the family also.

I really feel like I been deceived

Comments

• ~Beanie~
    ~Beanie~ Posts: 3,043 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Do you I have any chance of getting share of his property since I was working for the 5 years and contributing to the family also.

I think you need to get some legal advice on this because as it stands, it isn't his property, it belongs to his mother and that being the case I dont see how you could get a share of it.
    :p
  • fairy_woman
    Options
    beanie thanks for that, this has happened so quickly I'm getting legal advise soon
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If she owns it and has owned it since before you married, it's probably "game over", you were, in effect, just renting it.

You contributed for 5 years, but you had a roof over your head - which is where you'd be if you'd been renting all that time.... with nothing.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    I am in the early stages of getting a divorce I have 2 children with him and we been together for 5 years before I seek professional help I wanted to just ask on here quickly to see what I'm dealing with.

My husband told me he owned the house before we got married but I just found out he put it on his mother's name before we got married I thought all along he owned the house this has come as a shock to me. - So his mum owns the house. Was there a mortgage?

what does this leave me - well without a house. and my children in terms of a settlement? - children don't get a settlement as part of a divorce. He said to me he is willing to me put a deposit on a flat but he does not want me to have a share of the property this is what's really hurting me at the moment. - it's not his property to share with you Do you I have any chance of getting share of his property since I was working for the 5 years and contributing to the family also. - its not his. so no

I really feel like I been deceived

A deposit sounds like a good starting point
  • warehouse
    warehouse Posts: 3,362 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Wise wise man.

Take the deposit as said above.
    Pants
  • Kayalana99
    Kayalana99 Posts: 3,626 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Even if the house was in his name, a marriage less then 5 years is considered short in the eyes of the law (and not sure if you have been married 5 years, or a couple for 5 years here?) and it's unlikey a court would give you a 50% share when he owned the property before you even met.

You may have been entitled to a small percentage, but I think the offer of a deposit is generous considering.
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
  • fairy_woman
    Options
    no mortgage

I understand now its not his but from the start I thought it was his I even paid for many of the bills and new furniture and works needed in the house thinking it was his.

I would never of gone through the marriage itself if I knew his mother owned the property I have also proof of him saying he owned the property.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My husband told me he owned the house before we got married but I just found out he put it on his mother's name before we got married

So she has been your landlord. Have you been paying her rent? Has she been complying with all the LL legislation?
  • Kayalana99
    Kayalana99 Posts: 3,626 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options

I would never of gone through the marriage itself if I knew his mother owned the property I have also proof of him saying he owned the property.

Sounds like a very smart man indeed.
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
  • warehouse
    warehouse Posts: 3,362 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options

OK, now it's pretty obvious this is simply a trolling post. Too much to soon, good try.
    Pants
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family