Bees/Wasps how to get rid! (merged threads)

Options

Comments

• vauxhallboi
    Options
    After reading the whole of this forum I decided why should I spend £20-£50 getting them removed.

So I just took a can of Mr. Muscle foaming Over Cleaner and a pair of marigolds and sprayed a load directly into the hole between the bricks where the wasps are going in (usually carrying bits of leaves to build their nest).

That was last night at around 8pm, and I haven't seen hide nor hair of a single wasp since.

Cruel, but effective; I don't see many wasps apologising for stinging human so I don't feel an ounce of guilt!

Sorted! :j
  • b3nton
    b3nton Posts: 254 Forumite
    Options
    The foam method sounds like a great idea. I'd never recommend boiling water as most nests are raised away from the entrance.

i21-29.jpg
  • dawnie1972
    dawnie1972 Posts: 2,428 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've just discovered a wasp nest - they are going into a tiny hole in my brickwork (up by the guttering) - i did suspect i had one as a crack has appeared in the paintwork in the bathroom and i could hear some noise and where they are going in is on the outer wall of this - i know that ant powder will solve the problem but as the entrance to the nest is high up would i be better using the wasp nest foam?
    A home is not a home ..... without a dog :heart:
  • wafijim
    Options
    at this time of year the wasps nest are building. Do not delay, kill any this week. or you will realy regret it one the apples, pears, plums rippen. Once they start having lots of food they will start to make queens. these will go off and either find somewhere new to set up or a hybernating spot (curtains, coat sleaves etc).
    Year before last we left a nest on eco grounds because they reduce garden pests. Last year we had 8 nests!! and after getting badly stung while in the attic. it is now Permithryn ant killer every time (and rose clear on the roses!)
  • buzzyy
    buzzyy Posts: 291 Forumite
    Options
    i got rid of a wasps nest in the shed,to end up with bees under the shed,the councl said they would charge me to get rid o the wasps,but bees people would remove the bees ,i have been told to leave them since they arnt much of a threat,good luck im to scared to go out in my garden now!!plus bees are a endangerd scpicies so you cant kill em,not that i would want to xxxx
    buzzyy
  • dawnie1972
    dawnie1972 Posts: 2,428 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well, i got some of the wasp nest foam, have just been out and have smothered it along the top of my wall where it meets the guttering as they are going into the tiny holes between the bricks - i practically used an entire can, not sure if i've done it right and won't sleep tonight as am worried what happens to the ones trapped inside the nest as i could hear them working away when i was in my bathroom so i will be paranoid until i don't hear any noise - i'm terrified of them as i had a nest at an old house and pest control sorted it but one day i opened my loft hatch and there was a huge sphere honeycomb which was the nest they'd been building - that sight will terrify me forever.
    A home is not a home ..... without a dog :heart:
  • Forgetful
    Forgetful Posts: 1,729 Forumite
    Options
    well i had one nest 3 years ago on one side of the porch and it was under the eaves of the roof.. they were eating away at the plaster board.. anyways got wasp nest killer x2 and sprayed it then broke off the plaster board on the inside and removed the nest....
    Now this year again.. but on the other side of the porch..... here we go again... :(
  • poppy27_2
    poppy27_2 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

I also have a wasp problem - noticed about 7 dead ones in my back bedroom a few days ago and more have appeared each day - luckily they keep dying off quite quickly because it's so warm in my bedroom and they can't escape as I keep the window closed but as more and more are appearing, it's very worrying. I'm not sure where the nest is (maybe in my attic as we found an old nest there a few years ago) but I can't see how they are getting in my bedroom unless it's through a crack in the plaster behind my radiator (leading to the outside wall) - can they really get through things so small? If so, if I fill the crack in with plaster, will this stop them from coming in or should I remove the nest just to be sure? My Council has quoted £60 for removal but they can't come out for another week!
  • outlaw777
    outlaw777 Posts: 871 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hey,

I have a wasp nest in my front garden, its on a staircase and they are going through a small vertical crack. The staircase is concrete so impossbile to knockdown, what should I do?
  • justjohn
    justjohn Posts: 2,260 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    oven cleaner (foam stuff) or ant powder then run...or just leave them alone
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts