Updated Mobile Unlocking Article discussion

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    roscoe8888 wrote: »
    Please can anyone out there help?

I bought a secondhand (one month old) Blackberry Priv knowing that it was locked to EE off eBay. I contacted EE directly and after paying the required amount received an unlock code with simple instructions and the warning that only a single entry would be possible.

After inserting my sim and entering the code, the handset was not unlocked. I re-contacted EE and was told to try again, albeit in a different format. Still 'locked'! I had been using an MVNO sim (not a sim from a major carrier: Vodaphone, EE, O2) and this would not work with an unlocking code. Two further attempts later under EE instruction and the handset is permanently locked to EE they tell me, as do Blackberry themselves.

After contacting the Ombudsman, Citizens Advice and escalating the issue through the ranks of EE, I have been told that nothing can be done at all to unlock the handset.

This is a brief overview of the story from over a 6 month period and any assistance would be hugely appreciated.

BEWARE, unlocking can sometimes be a NIGHTMARE
    This website may help you out, make sure to read all of the comments before trying anything.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-priv-f440/my-priv-mep-locked-what-can-i-do-1079568/
  • roscoe8888
    Options
    Just read some posts about problems unlocking with EE. There is a direct contact number to call to get unlocking codes from EE. 07953.966.250. I used this 6 months ago and after giving my IMEI number, they called me back a couple of days later to say that a code could be provided at a cost of under £10 (I can't remember now exactly). The code was e-mailed through a week later. Simples.

WARNING: The instructions seemed simple and I had successfully unlocked another phone a few years ago. You CANNOT use a sim from anyone other than the major companies; EE, Vodaphone, O2 - NOT Virgin, NOT Tesco, NOT 3 etc., because they are called MVNOs (google it!)

Because I wasn't aware of this, I appeared to use up all my Blackberry handset attempts and EE now tell me that this is tough, the handset is now permanently locked to EE. BEWARE!!
  • islagran
    Options
    Hi, recently bought a 2nd hand iphone6 that was locked to ee network. Visited local mobile phone shops who all said it would cost£40 and would take up to 2weeks. After reading this forum advice I phoned ee who were very helpful, I paid £8.99 and had phone unlocked in 24 hrs, brilliant, just glad I didn't pay £40!
  • pol098
    pol098 Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    Re comment that the SIM used for unlocking must be from a major network (not Virgin, Tesco, THREE, etc.): I unlocked a phone locked to Orange (now EE) with a 3 SIM with no problems a few weeks ago. I think that is because 3 is a major network rather than an MVNO (part of Hutchison Telecom); the restriction may apply to actual MVNOs.
  • T.F.S.B.I.G.W.S.
    Options
    I am tempted to buy an Android Smartphone from Asda as they seem to have a good selection of small phones (so many of the phones seem massive to me).
    It will probably be supplied with an O2 or EE simcard - but, perhaps, not locked (?) or easy enough to unlock - I could just slot my Tesco simcard in there and hope for the best - just thought I'd run that by you guys before I get round to it.. .. cheers!
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am tempted to buy an Android Smartphone from Asda as they seem to have a good selection of small phones (so many of the phones seem massive to me).
    It will probably be supplied with an O2 or EE simcard - but, perhaps, not locked (?) or easy enough to unlock - I could just slot my Tesco simcard in there and hope for the best - just thought I'd run that by you guys before I get round to it.. .. cheers!

Well what phones do yoou like, google the model and if its easy to unlock.
  • T.F.S.B.I.G.W.S.
    Options
    As the phones were on display it was difficult to tell what models they were but I guess I'll look a bit harder. Thanks
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Well what phones do yoou like, google the model and if its easy to unlock.
  • carolliam
    Options
    Hi can anybody recommend a online website to unlock my phone thanks
  • T.F.S.B.I.G.W.S.
    Options
    I like Alcatel Pixies (at least it was an Alcatel - I think it was a pixie) as they are pocket sized. Looks like they are easy to unlock if this is to believed https://sim-unlock.net/simlock/Alcatel/Pixi_4_(6)/
  • theloft
    theloft Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    Options
    After being quoted ridiculous amounts from EE (T-Mobile locked) and time it would take. After some research I used an EBay seller for unlocking my HTC Desire phone. This was smartunlocking UK. Total cost £1.29 and done in minutes.
    Would certainly use them again.
    "0844 COSTS YOU MORE"
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport