PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How long does cooked chicken keep for?

Options

Comments

• jasperconran
    jasperconran Posts: 756 Forumite
    Options
    hi guys,

Got some chicken leftover from sundays roast. been wrapped up and in fridge since then. will it still be ok to use for tonight? ive checked it, and it smells/tastes ok. just wanted to check though with u guys though! thanks Tracy x;)
    LBM: April 2009 - honest debt figure: Secured: £0.00!! (paid back april 2017) unsecured: £53117.48 (roughly):eek: back with CCCS starting again:(
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes, it will be fine.
  • Sentinal73
    Sentinal73 Posts: 100 Forumite
    Options
    Hey all,

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but I'm looking at saving money and one idea is to take my own sandwiches to work.

Currently am speading too too much money buying pre-cooked / pre-packaged meat each week, so did think that it might be better to buy and cook my own chicken, cook it and slice it up for sandwiches.

Also, any left overs might be good for a curry and the bones be good for stock, though couldnt do that every week !!...only so much stock you can take i guess.???

So, if i was to cook a chicken on a sunday, how long would it last...i know its a "how long is a piece of string" question, and if it dosent smell or walk to the bin itself, then its good enough to eat, but I'm just thinking out loud............

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 28 July 2009 at 12:54AM
    Options
    Hi Sentinal73,

My general rule of thumb with cooked chicken is three days at the most providing it's been cooled fairly quickly and kept refrigerated.

There's an existing thread where you'll be able to read more opinions so I'll add your post to it, and this thread may give you some more ideas for using the chicken:

Rubber Chicken

Pink
  • Queen-Bee_2
    Queen-Bee_2 Posts: 828 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I have some [raw] chicken thighs from Sainsbury which need to be eaten by tomorrow.

If I cook them however, does this extend their life by a further three days (which seem to be the majority's 'rule of thumb' on here?)
  • Shelley84
    Options
    Hi,

I cooked a whole chicken on sunday for a roast. I have loads left over, but just put the leftovers (still on carcass) in the fridge. It is now 4 days since I cooked it - will it still be ok to eat?

Could I take the meat off and freeze it? Just worried as it is 4 days old now and not sure if it will be safe to eat it or not!! :rolleyes:

Thanks
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Shelly,

I tend to use three days as a rule of thumb for keeping cooked chicken in the fridge. As we can't see or smell the chicken, it's really up to you whether or not you think it's worth risking it after four days.

There's an earlier thread with other opinions that may help so I'll add your post to it so you can browse the replies.

Pink
  • CCP
    CCP Posts: 5,061 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I would say it's probably OK as long as it doesn't smell/look unpleasant - I would cook it rather than eating it cold, though, just to be extra safe.

I wouldn't leave it any longer than today, too - stick it in the freezer if you're not going to eat it today. (I also roasted a chicken on Sunday and stuck the carcass in the freezer first thing this morning so I don't think my advice will lead to you poisoning yourself, I hope!)

Cross-posted with Pink-winged! Three to four days is about my limit for cooked chicken, too.
  • Shelley84
    Options
    Thank you! Normally I will take all the meat off and also boil the carcass for stock the next day, just been really busy this week!

I'll strip the meat off today and freeze it.

Thanks for you tips
  • headcrash27
    Options
    Sorry this is probably a really dumb question but i don't know the answer and i don't want to give us all food poisoning! I cooked a roast chicken for lunch today and the use by date was today. Will the cooked chicken still be ok in the fridge for 3 days or should i throw it out as the use by date was today?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure