PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Breadmaking - recipes, hints, tips, questions

Options

Comments

• Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you don't fancy the idea of leaving it to cook overnight so it's ready for breakfast, then I can thoroughly recommend the rapid bake white loaf on page 25 of the booklet and it only takes 1hr 55 mins from start to finish :j

I'd avoided making this loaf for a long time, as my experience with rapid bake loaves in my previous machine was a bit of a disaster. But this one is perfect for sandwiches and toast and produces a lovely loaf, just like you'd buy from the bakers, and is the one I use all the time now for a general white loaf :D
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Gingham_Ribbon
    Options
    Is it okay to miss out the milk powder on the rapid bake ones? I can't find any organic anywhere.
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I don't see why not as I've heard plenty of people mention leaving out the milk powder and still producing good loaves :confused:

You could always make the liquid content half and half with organic milk and water if you wanted to keep some milk content in them ;)
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Pal
    Pal Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    Options
    I think that the milk powder is just to add taste and nutrition to the loaves, which is good as modern flour milling pretty much destroys the nutritional content of most flours, especially white.

I like the rapid bake loaves but my real favourite is the french, which is superb for both sandwiches and toast. The only problems are that the loaves are smaller than the normal white ones, and that they take six hours! This is especially annoying as the machine just seems to sit there doing nothing for the first 3 hours or so! :(
  • paulac_3
    Options
    Has anyone else found a wide variation in the quality of their HM bread depending on where they buy their flour?

Started off my panasonic love affair using Asda's bread flour and was thrilled with the results - lovely large airy loaves. Moved on to Sainsbury's flour and found the bread wasn't so spectacular-looking. Last week I bought my flour from Tesco and had really rubbish results - my loaves were flat on top and really dense. I thought at first I was losing my touch or there was a problem with the machine but having gone back to Asda's flour this week have realised it was that all along.

So it's a twelve mile treck to Asda for me from now on instead of the Tescos down the road!
  • skylight
    skylight Posts: 10,716 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    CHELSEA BUNS! in Bread Maker

DOUGH:
    Medium Eggs - 1 Beaten and made up to 150ml ith tepid water
    Strong White Bread Flour - 225g
    Dried Milk Powder - 15ml
    Salt - 25g WRONG try about 2.5g instead.
    Caster Suger - 25g
    Easy Blend Dried Yeast - 5ml

Filling
    Melted Butter - 25g
    Light Soft Brown Sugar - 50g
    Mixed Dried Fruit - 100g
    Glace Cherries, chopped - 50g
    Chopped Nuts - 35g

Glaze
    Caster Sugar - 45ml 3 tbsp
    Water - 30ml 2 tbsp

Place all dough ingredients into bread pan in order as listed above
    Select Dough Programme
    At end of cycle, (mine is 1hr 50mins), remove and place on floured work surface
    Knock back the dough and roll out to form rectangle 30 x 23cm
    Brush surface with melted butter. Sprinkle Sugar, fruits and nutsonto dough and roll up in a swiss roll fashion, starting from longest side
    Cut into 9 equal pieces and place together in a greasead tin
    Cover with oiled cling film and leave in a warm place for 40-60 mins. Remove cling filme.
    Bake in a pre-heated oven at 220/gas mark 7 for 10-15mins.
    Make glaze by heating sugar and water together until sugar has disolved and brush over the buns.
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Printed already :)

First thing tomorrow... in the pot it goes. Thank you very much.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • skylight
    skylight Posts: 10,716 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    I want to make Jam in my new BM tomorrow - the recipe book says 1lb Jam Sugar.

Is this an actual different product to normal refined and caster sugar then????
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don't quote me but I think it's got pectin added into it.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • apprentice_tycoon
    Options
    Yes, Squeaky, it has added pectin because some fruits such as strawberries don't have very good pectin levels, you can use normal sugar but you need to add a high pectin fruit like apple to the recipe, but with this sugar they all set.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure