Pay off mortgage and start having fun!

Options

Comments

• gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    OH that is sad news NG. It sounds like he is already part of your family and I'm sure you will all support him. Sometimes there really is nothing you can say, but a hug always works xx
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Fortune_Smiles Posts: 5,055 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    So sorry to hear this.

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 86% paid Mortgage Neutral: 100% Emergency Fund: 100%
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,955 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks guys, they have popped round tonight so Dd can get clothes for the week as she will stay with him, as he doesn't want to leave his younger sisters.

Super hot here today, the heat has clearly meant the poor builders have had to work for just a few hours at a snails pace!
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, currently month 19 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    NG:

Re. neighbours: you may be overreacting if it's a one-off incident but I'd keep note of it for if it carries on.

Re. your daughter's boyfriend's mum: I'm very sorry to hear what has happened and quite shocked to read such sad news (it is usually inflatable flamingos and highly-flammable house coats on here ;)). I cannot really imagine what your daughter's boyfriend is going through at the moment and also be prepared to support your daughter. This may sound rather callous but I say this from my own experiences; choosing to live sometimes doesn't seem the right choice to make and it is that individual's choice. A great deal of anguish will have led to the decision. Please encourage your daughter's boyfriend, his sisters and possibly your daughter to seek counselling.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • newgirly
    Options
    Hi Alex, thanks for the comments. I will suggest counselling to him for sure, at the moment he seems to think he is ok and 'almost expected it one day' how he feels will change many times though as he comes to terms with it. He is a very sensible strong young man, but I believe this is his first experience of death and grief. I just feel so sad for him as even if you can move on it's a cloud that will always be there.

No work today thank goodness, I'm going out with my best friend for the day shopping and for breakfast and lunch (very low cal as it s weigh in day) I am so looking forward to it, everything at home and at work has been quite stressful lately and a bit of shopping and aircon may help. :)

Payday tomorrow, I've not updated last months figures -or lack of them! Dad said he would pay for the bathroom bedroom switch including fittings etc. But I do feel a bit awkward asking for money for what I've bought so will probably end up paying for some of it.

Also trying to pull together a break for dh and I, not sure how where or when but I am desperate to get away for a bit and he could really do with a rest, not sure how the logistics of that would work at the moment though.
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, currently month 19 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    newgirly wrote: »
    I'm going out with my best friend for the day shopping and for breakfast and lunch (very low cal as it s weigh in day)
    No, no, no. It's not the calories that count on weigh-in day, it's how heavy the food is :D.
    Save
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • newgirly
    edited 22 June 2017 at 8:38AM
    Options
    :rotfl::rotfl: souffle for lunch then?
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,925 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    So sorry to hear your news NG. Wise words from Alex re counselling, when the time is right. x
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• newgirly
    Options
    I've done something very spontaneous :eek:

I've booked a WEEK LONG :eek::eek::eek: cruise leaving this Thursday. It's the only time dh can go before prices go up a lot in the the holidays, coupled with us having the builders working, along with the fact I can use that as an excuse to get the boys to stay at my parents (no worries about parties etc!) and Dd and her boyfriend can have the house to themselves if they want it.

It's done and now I am panicking a fair bit!

I had a long chat with dd and she is fine with it, we have sorted out as much as we can for the moment to help out, but the arrangements they are making will take time due to the circumstances.

Everything was fully booked up except a Cunard cruise to Italy and croatia, I almost booked it but couldn't find my passport, spent a couple of hours searching and eventually found it. Thought I'd read some reviews before paying and although it seemed great the dress code was really strict, along with a much higher cost. Then I noticed a p and o one suddenly available which had not been earlier today. Gave them a ring and booked it quickly :eek: £679 each compared to £1100 for the Cunard one.

We will be flying (I don't like flying!) to Malta and sailing mostly around Greece.

Can't believe I've done it and am really worried about missing the kids and being homesick - I get homesick even if I'm away with he kids, dh and my parents :rotfl: but we have been a bit bogged down with life lately and it will do us good to have some fun, the kids don't want to go away with us anyway at the moment.

As for the financial impact, I think it will add a month on the term.....
  • smallholdingsister
    Options
    Woohoo! Exciting.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family