* I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread

Options

Comments

• Flowfy
    Flowfy Posts: 148 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning all

Never underestimate the fun you can have with an 8 week old puppy and a sick 7 year old - she has caught some horrid stomach bug from school so we have had her being sick most of Saturday (whilst I was in work and my mother in law had her!) but she isnt allowed back to school until she is 48hrs clear so she has a day off to chill today

Prep wise - all I have succeeded in doing is eating my way through a box of Heros - well not fully but I am waiting to be caught as no one else knows they are open! :eek::eek: and husband is off all week

I am still looking at ways I can afford my husbands riding present. I found a few bits I can sell on our selling pages so will post those up later and hope that they get me to the bulk of my way there with the credit union. i figure if I can get £100 in there by the end of November then I will use that to get it for him and surprise him.

Also realised I owe my mother in law money as well which she wants in November so I will have another load of money to pay out before then! £160 to be precise. I put £20 a month away for her watching the kids for me but this year I got a bit lapse with it :( my own fault but means Christmas is getting tighter! :eek: but overtime kicks in in October/November so I'm hoping that will pull me through.

Starbucks drinks - I wish they did something other than coffee.....or they did a decaf version of them - I cant drink caffinated coffee and would like to try one.

Nothing much planned this week I don't think. I am going to have a clear out with Holly today of her bedroom toys and see if we can re-home or donate anything before the big man comes. She rewrote her Xmas list the other week and said she doesn't want toys really this year because she is getting older now :(:( 7 mind! Shes only 7. Which also reminds me I need to discreetly look in my present cupboard as well because I think I might have put DS's in there and I wanted to gift her one of those for Xmas.....

Right Im off, Mini 4 legged boss is nagging......

You can ask for the coffee to be decaf - i have heard people do it. x
  • Peppapig
    Peppapig Posts: 1,415 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    SAMMYKAYE Costa did a really nice honeycomb hot chocolate a couple of years ago which was fabulous so I'm hoping they'll do it again. I don't drink coffee at all (don't even like the smell let alone the taste) so it's flavoured hot choc all the way for me.

Yucky weather so planning a fair bit of QVC Christmas today. Nice snow scene dome at the moment although I must admit the woman's voice is driving me mad already. Might have to watch with the sound off :D
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year :
  • elliew8
    Options
    Morning all, hope everyone is doing well and the Christmas prep is coming along nicely…I can’t believe we’ll be in October next week, feels like Christmas is coming around so quickly, I need to get my behind into gear!

Sammykaye glad to hear the mini 4 legged boss is settling in ok and the kids love her, you could get her a little Christmas jumper :)
    Welcome PinkAngel and creative girl!
    LMG1305 I have the same rule about Christmas music but then from November 1st I go a bit overboard. Sounds very MSE with your stored points, enjoy spending them
    Pavlovsdog I agree about the boots website, I had a look through but was disappointed, hopefully they add more as we get close to Christmas
    Thanks for setting the dates 04624181, I’ll see closer to the time if I’m free but won’t be able to joint in on the October dates because I haven’t even bought any presents yet!
    Mandco I think if your DD has suggested it for her main present then maybe it’s worth getting
    Alja, they usually have them in home bargains/ B&M/ poundland but probably will be November time after the Halloween confectionary has finished
    Nic I’ve been avoiding trying the pumpkin spiced latte cos I know I’ll love it and we don’t have any starbucks near us!
    Peppa hope the babysitting went well, enjoy QVC J

I had a huge win last week, was checking the balance of some gift cards in my purse and thought they were all between £5 or £10 but found a john lewis one that had £100 on it! Me and the DH were very generously both given £100 JL gift cards from work when we got married last year and had a nice shopping spree in there so thought we’d used both of them but obviously not! Will use it to get some bits for the house but the rest will go on pressies J
    I'm dreaming... of a white Christmas :snow_grin :xmassmile:rudolf:
  • DSmiffy
    Options
    Hi to all on the Christmas thread.
    Wondering if anyone can help me out with this.

Every year I make up a Christmas Eve Survival Kit, to be opened Christmas Eve, obviously! everyone gets one each and it has christmas pyjamas, novelty slippers or socks, some chocolate and a miniature bottle of spirit or liqueur.

Looking to sort them out now as the list of people I do them for is getting longer and longer every year!!

Just wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction for some inexpensive but decent quality novelty christmas pyjamas, slippers and socks (all adults by the way) Or is it too early to be looking?

• Peppapig
    Peppapig Posts: 1,415 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Welcome DSMIFFY. B&M usually have Christmas PJs and slippers and Primark normally have some lovely Christmas ones too. I think Primark slippers are always really good value. I didn't see any specifically Christmas designs when I was in there last week, may have to wait another couple of weeks but they do have nice generic designs that would be great for winter generally. Quite a few people on here do Christmas Eve boxes so you won't be short of suggestions. :)
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year :
  • VeronicaMars
    Options
    I can't believe I've just found this thread!! Loving seeing what everyone has been doing for Christmas...and I've been planning my Christmas myself all this time!! :xmassmile :xmastree:
    I've got a lovely wooden box that I need to paint and order a topper for as i'm going to have it be our family Christmas eve box and like *DSmiffy* above I'll be putting some hot chocolate and new pjs in it every year with some bubble bath and whiskey (for the adults) along with a Christmas DVD!

You can get decaf in most of the big coffee chains - decaf peppermint latte at Christmas is one of my favs :D

I've just ordered a rather expensive but lush Christmas tree from Balsam hill whilst they are still on sale. so I will be joining the two Christmas trees house club! Hubby and I disagreed over this but our dining room/kitchen was a bit miserable compared to our living room last year and I was adamant it wasn't happening again this year.

I've also started handmaking our Christmas cards with my little ones hands and feet :heart:! MistleTOES, Rudolf and Christmas trees :heart: was a fun way to kill an afternoon! We've still got more to do but I need to string it out as she stops enjoying it after a couple of them!

I MIGHT be hosting Christmas this year so going to start slowly stocking up on the chocolates (after eights and mint and orange matchmaker and terrys chocolate oranges :D) :EasterBun - *ANYONE KNOW IF THE SUPERMARKETS DO DEALS ON THESE THINGS?*

And so far I've got two a couple of small Christmas presents and two presents for my daughter. One present was bought with a TOYS R US voucher and I wanted to take her shopping next year when shes a bit older to pick it but with the recent BANKRUPTCY news across the water I got nervous so went and picked her a present and i'll take her next year and use cash!

We've agreed not to do adults this year so its - THANKFULLY - just children and parents we are buying for! But I'll still get everyone a wee something at £5.

And lastly I am going to start on some handmade Crimbo deccies with some lovely red material I got in a charity shop and some tartan ribbon left over from our wedding (3 years ago - I just wanted to put it to something we could keep!!)
    :happyhear

That's me! Sorry for the long post I got excited!!
    Originally debt free 27th November 2014 :T

Mortgage July 2016 - £175,295.00 | Sept 2017 - £167,350.00 | Sept 2018 - £162,926.00
  • Clumsy42
    Options
    Afternoon everyone, just been catching up. :wave:

Big news - after years of being turned down for my ESA (and then going to appeal and eventually being put in WRAG) I've had quite the shock. I've been put in the support group straight away with no need for appeals or anything! I've never made it to the support group before, quite the novelty! :rotfl: I'm very happy because it means the stress of going to the Jobcentre shouldn't happen now.

On the health front, still waiting for test appointments. My heart rate has been all over the place today. I guess Tesco can do that to you. ;)

Speaking of Tesco. Half of the 'Seasonal' ailse was devoted to Xmas chocs and some wrapping paper and the toiletries section had some gifts out.

I'm about half way there with my Mum's advent calendar. Running out of ideas though. Thinking cap must go back on!

Hope eveyone is well. Good to see Xmas progress is being made.
    “In 900 years of time and space, I’ve never met anyone who wasn’t important”
    - Eleventh Doctor
  • VeronicaMars
    Options
    LMG1305 wrote: »

I have ordered some really cute little wooden snowflakes & hearts on string from Amazon. My plan is to decorate them, probably with glitter & maybe some swarovski crystals to make them really sparkle & they will then be part of my gifts for my sisters. I've started coming up with so many to do lists that need to be completed before Christmas, it's just finding the time to actually do them!

I have a little bag of Swarovski crystals that I got from them when ordering my bridesmaids gifts!! I am going to do something like this with them as I have never known what to do with them!! :T

Mortgage July 2016 - £175,295.00 | Sept 2017 - £167,350.00 | Sept 2018 - £162,926.00
  • newthrift
    newthrift Posts: 1,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hiii :) I don't even know where to begin on trying to have a bit of a catch up, so i'll just say I hope you are all ok, hugs for those struggling and hope that Christmas prep is going well.
    Those of you who have me on insta will see I had a little boy on 5th July. Life is definitely different and each week I'm slowly getting the hang doing normal life with a baby in tow. Christmas prep is not going well, I'm just working my way through maki.g a list at the same time as writing thank you cards and planning a christening haha.
    Nice to be starting to make my way back on here.
    sammy- you can ask for any of the drinks decaf :)
    veronica - if you keep an eye out, choc oranges drop to £1 and aldi version on matchmakers taste just as good (or they do also gp on offer). Think I saw them cheap in sainsbugs the other day.
    Christmas is the most magical time of the year :santa2:
    Mum to two boys :heartpuls
  • VeronicaMars
    Options
    newthrift wrote: »
    sammy- you can ask for any of the drinks decaf :)
    veronica - if you keep an eye out, choc oranges drop to £1 and aldi version on matchmakers taste just as good (or they do also gp on offer). Think I saw them cheap in sainsbugs the other day.

Thanks! Looks like Tesco has got some offers on ALL of these items so I might stock up on some over the next couple of days!

Next stop Shloer :D:D:D

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure