* I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread

Options

Comments

• LMG1305
    Options
    mandco - no idea what to suggest on the situation regarding the advent calendar, however I will say that I have had quite a few beauty advent calendars over the past few years & to be honest I've not come across any that are worth the money. Most of the items are sample size, so don't last very long & some of the items are really quite pointless. I had a Benefit calendar a few years ago, lots of small sample size products but also silly things like a pink paper clip, a tiny notepad that you could probably fit about 3 words on each sheet, a bobble that ripped my hair out when I actually used it. Other advents I've had you get one or two good products but they're mostly filled up with hand/body lotion, shower gel etc.

Just my opinion obviously, I appreciate that a lot of people do like them & based on how popular they are now & how many brands are bringing their own versions out, I think they'll be around for a while, but for me personally I felt they're not worth the money.

Maybe you could speak to her & say that as she didn't save any money toward the £80 one, she can have a cheaper one (I think Boots No7 was around £40 last year) or she can have the £80 one but will have to take something else off her Christmas wish list.

Thanks for the tips on Boots & The Works guys, I'm going to have a look today :)
    Options
    Hello hello hello,

It is getting to that time of year that we all love!

I have some dates for the wrapping parties.... I have done saturday and wednesday dates.

Weds 4th October
    Saturday 28th October
    Wednesday 8th November
    Saturday 25th November
    Wednesday 6th December
    Saturday 9th December
    Wednesday 13th December

I have tried to use a midweek and weekend to accommodate everybody who expressed an interest. Remember it is a bit of fun that will enable us all to wrap our gifts whilst messaging on here, listening to music or watching a film in the knowledge that us Christmas crazy people are all doing the same thing lol

Christmas themes for Crafts

October- Gingerbread
    November- Snow
    December- Star

Now dates are set, shall we set a specific time or decide nearer the dates?
  • fatblackandwhite
    Options
    Mandco - could you make your own advent calendar for her? i.e. pick up 24 beauty bits that she might like and wrap them with a number for each day? Much cheaper than the shop bought ones and probably more useful!
  • Peppapig
    Peppapig Posts: 1,415 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Thanks 0462, I'm so behind on the pressie front if I don't get a move on I'll have nothing to wrap. I'm going shopping with DD1 on Thursday so hopefully I'll get something then. How about 8 o'clock for the Wednesdays? Give those who work time to eat and those who go to bed early can still join in.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year :
  • alja
    alja Posts: 838 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you for setting the dates! :) I've got events on the first two to attend, but the 4th I might be home later in the evening to at least wrap a couple of things.

Looking forward to all the wrapping parties!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I bought did the Sanctuary Spa advent last year not beauty products as such it things like shower gels / moisturiser etc she loved it so much so she wants the same one this year .
  • mrsinvisible
    Options
    2-3 years ago l made 3 Christmas fabric advent calendars for my fave cos, BF and DSlL and put in wrapped small gifts for each day, they loved them so much that they return them in November and l re-fill them and give them back. Fave cos has taken on the idea and now does them for her DD and DDILs. (after l made her the calendars cos she doesn't sew).
    maybe do something similar for DD if she cant have the £80!!!!! one?
    Thank you for doing the dates for the wrapping party l am looking forward to it/them, l mean.
    OOps, l dropped a clanger this week, DS2 asked me to repair a hoodie for him, as the welts on cuffs and hem had worn out and become raggy. l turned the ends in and zig zagged them by machine, and now they are all 'wavey, ruffled looking' . so l will have to redo them by hand after all. grr.
    DD has an appointment with the orthtist at 9 am so l am taking her there, then we may go for coffee/breakfast and indulge in a little retail therapy, (l say 'may' l mean 'will definitely'), so l'd best get out of bed and get ready.
  • murie
    murie Posts: 1,251 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Chrissy- I do advent calendars for the adults from freebies I collect throughout the year, I wrap them individually (a pain as there are 126 of them!) and put them in a one of those hessian Christmas sacks from the £shop. They do a lucky dip each day. There are always loads of perfume samples, make up samples etc on the freebie boards. I did get DD a Nuxe beauty calendar (only 12 days though) reduced at the beginning of the year so she is half sorted.

The weather is lovely today so after decluttering 2 drawers and 2 cupboards in the kitchen (and subsequent tip run which I do every 3 or 4 days as Birmingham bin men are on strike) I have taken The Hound for a lovely long walk in the park- it was almost summer like! I didn't bother with a coat as it was so sunny, unfortunately I realised that I should have once I got back , as the middle buttons on my blouse had come undone and I was flashing 'tomorrows washing' as my nan used to say!
    lovin' this site!
    :j
  • murie
    murie Posts: 1,251 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you 046 for taking the time to sort out the dates-looking forward to it.
    lovin' this site!
    :j
  • vulpix
    vulpix Posts: 2,356 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    As what Murie said 0462.I have the dates in my diary.Just need to crack on and get some more stuff for DD2.

We are going to Liverpool tomorrow for DD2's 16th Birthday.I am going to the Tate gallery whilst t'others go to the beatles story.Not interested enough to go with them.There may be some retail opportunities in Liverpool 1 in the afternoon.

I was going to make a Lotus biscuit cheesecake for DD2's birthday today.Mr V got the biscuits for me on his way home from a job last night and left them on the kitchen table.Came down after DD had gone to school to find a note saying she had hidden the biscuits to save me from eating them! This is the 3rd packet btw.

First day of Autumn today,Christmas is on it's way.

Vx
     :
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family