What small DFW things will you be doing this week? WC 17/07

Options

Comments

• PurpleFairy26
    PurpleFairy26 Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Morning determined and all who follow :hello:

Those baskets sound lovely. I tend to make chocolate slabs as gifts for either Christmas or summer leaving for the smalls teachers/nursery staff. Really easy and cheap, just melt a bar of chocolate the bigger ones you get in the cooking aisle, put in the base of a small loaf tin (lined if not silicon) chill for a bit. Then melt a little white choclate and pipe on what ever you want, I normally do 'thank you, from X' and then pipe a couple of blobs of chocolate on and either stick some sprinkles on if I have them in the cupboard or dr oetker (sp) stars look good and you only need 1 or 2. Work out about £1 each :D

My list for today:
    Quick shower, hair dry naturally
    Check banking, update sheets
    Update grocery spend. UFM is going well on the grocery front, lower spends again this month
    Tea from planner, no tea for smalls as they're at holiday club and will be fed
    Couldn't get DD in to holiday club tomorrow but MIL has said she'll have her. First time ever :eek: let's hope she doesn't cancel :cool: either way £36 saved
    Try and paint my nails tonight, was gifted some gel colour change nail varnish and I really want to try it out :)
    Snacks and hot drink to work, am in an off site meeting so work will buy lunch
    Maybe quick run when I get home, even if it's just a quick loop of the block

Right, must get on. Enjoy your day. Purps.
  • La_escocesa
    La_escocesa Posts: 3,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Morning gang :wave:

Baskets sound fab DNMS as do your choccies Purps! :D

Thanks everyone for all the positive vibes for OH. :A

We're not doing too well on our frugal plan - ate out last night! :naughty:

I was lucky yesterday - thought my weekly travel card was valid until yesterday but it was Monday! Thankfully I didn't get caught as it's a £50 fine!! :eek:

I found a little bargain yesterday - a soap dish in Wilko's clearance for 50p - exactly like I've been looking for (circle rather than oval)!! Going to go back today to get another for the bathroom and one for the kitchen too. Oh, the small things that can make me happy :rotfl:

I'm going to try to get into work early so I can eat my porridge. :cool: If I run in the door at 9.10am I don't feel like I can waste another 5 mins by the microwave and eating at my desk when it's 'real work' time. :o

Getting our break pads replaced today - the car maintenance fund has taken a hammering recently! - used Click Mechanic and saved about £50 over what the garage quoted. Added bonus is that they come here. Told OH to try to get his mobile no so we don't need to go through the website next time. :cool:

Right, best rush off so my porridge plan has half a chance! :p

xxxx
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 July 2017 at 9:08PM
    Options
    Morning all :)
    Blackberry muffins are fab FatVonD :D
    Got to go to the dealership and do the paperwork for the new (to us) car this morning, and, no doubt, part with lots of money :eek: Only parted with a deposit...
    Apart from that:
    Washing pegged on line, more rain forecast for later, so hope it dries before then! All dry
    More washing A couple of delicates items, they are dry as well :)
    Ironing :eek: Not done :(It is now :D
    Washed blankets from my car, which I must finish emptying tomorrow!
    HM meals from stores, steak and mushroom pie tonight, made the filling in the SC yesterday :)In progress, made a huge pie, enough for at least 2 meals for both of us :)
    Make a cake, bought some proper dark choc yesterday, so probably Nigel Slater's banana and chocolate muscovado cake, which will handily use up the blackening bananas :)Not likely to happen today :(
    Help OH sort out all the carp in the garage, so that our new car will fit into it - my current car, which lives in it atm, is smaller, and surrounded by piles of junk! Done, and it was a much bigger job than I thought - OH has tonnes of carp :( However, some has been put out for a tip run tomorrow, and the rest tidied and condensed into a much smaller area
    Try to fit in a bit of cleaning :(Not done, though I did sweep out the garage!
    Dog walk later OH did.
    Checked banks :eek:

Back later to update - keeps me accountable!
  • Julie67
    Julie67 Posts: 2,362 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Good morning all,

I've been missing again for a few days. We are so busy getting ready to put the house on the market, I haven't even had time to read the thread properly.
    So this weekend we painted the stairs hall and landing. I managed to get a new door curtain in a blue and cream check from the charity shop which looks great and only cost me £3. It's really brightened the hall up.
    We have also had to have a new cooker. An absolute necessity, the other one had had it and after I set the grill on fire last week:eek: and managed to melt all the knobs it was pretty much unuseable.
    We did manage to get a bargain from the auctions, £120 for a brand new double oven , it would have been more than 3 x that in the shops, so pleased we managed to get a bargain.
    This weekend we are going to try and complete two of the bedrooms, one has been recently decorated so just a couple of pics to put up.
    The other is used for storage for my business so needs a clear out but just fresh bedding and a good clean and that should be another room done.
    I also managed to get a couple of xmas presents for the grandchildren in Asda. They had the Little Tikes big mobile phones with playdough inside down from £10 to £2.50 so I have put those away.
    Todays jobs
    -check bank
    -post 8 parcels
    -drop a return off at Asda
    -pick up some bread whilst I'm there
    -call in Wilko's, I have heard they have lots of 50p items in the sale
    la Escosa I'm interested in the soap dishes and I believe they have lots of imperial leather toiletries for 50p which I love and buy anyway.
    Better get a wriggle on, have a good day all x
    Started Self Managed DMP 10th May 2017.
    Working hard to get rid of our debt.
  • La_escocesa
    La_escocesa Posts: 3,096 Forumite
    Options
    :rotfl: porridge plan is slowly slipping away! Completely forgot about my ticket again!! Had to get off after one stop to buy one as got the fear of getting caught (and wanted a clean conscience:p) so now I'll probably be late for work anyway:rotfl:
  • Happy_Kitties
    Happy_Kitties Posts: 1,615 Forumite
    Options
    Many thanks for everyone's kind wishes.

Really good news LaE for OH.
    DNMS the day u described with madam yesterday brought back some wonderful memories for me. During school holidays I used to have my niece over to stay as there is a lot more to do where i live. About ten minutes down the road there is a country park with a free museum and walks, picnic areas, forestry, it is used a lot for diving and kayaking. I spent 5 hours sitting there once with a newspaper and a book while my niece and DD happily played. We used to pack a picnic with a flask, the day cost me nothing but we spent so many times there. As the girls got older we used to get my mum's dog and the girls did the various path walks.
    Happy days. We're not that far from the beach either, so many times we would go for chips and an ice cream and the girls would play happily for the day. Less than £10 spent for the day as the girls were too busy wanting to play. The memories never leave you:)

Feeling less sick at the minute with the help of Sprite:D. For some reason when I'm not 100% i go off tea and have a craving for something, usually its a milky coffee but with being so warm and humid when we stopped to buy cat food yesterday we got some stocks of sprite:rotfl::rotfl:
    Cat cleaning all done, banking all checked.
    Want to stay at home today and clean the stairs as I've got a man coming out tomorrow to give me a quote for decorating. I hate having to get someone in but have no choice.
    It's a general tidy around and then leg elevation......i will keep myself out of hospital on friday:T
    The car was looking good yesterday, the adaptations they have done are amazing but it will mean I won't have to lift my chair across me anymore.
    We're still eating out of the freezer and after the mention of porridge this morning, I have some in so that's lunch sorted:T:T
    Have a great day everyone x
    Decluttering challenge 2023🏅⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 
    Decluttering challenge 2024 🏅⭐️
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,118 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 19 July 2017 at 11:38AM
    Options
    Morning Wednesday Penny-Wranglers,
    I'm not likely to get my big gardening day today, as at some point I think the big rain clouds will reach us. Not sure about thunder though. Reckon mr f will see some driving home tonight & it might reach people who are nearby but a little further over (such as Purplefairy!) but I think we may just get rain here. Have left off watering the garden in the hope that nature will do it for me.
    Today's money-saving activity:
    *Two baths from one lot of hot water.
    *Made sourdough. It's just on its first proving. Will feed jar later so it's ready for next week's loaf.
    *Watered greenhouse veg.
    *Harvested 2 courgettes & a big colander of basil.
    *Make pesto. No need to buy anything. I have walnuts & cheddar in, so will use those instead of buying pecorino & pine nuts. The recipe is pretty versatile as long as it's got basil, oil & garlic as its base.
    *£5 survey voucher code arrived. Thought I was behind on surveys this year, but have updated my signature where I keep a tally of survey income & I have earned £210 this year so far, which is the same as the whole of 2016, so I must keep at it. I did try a few Ipsos today but only earned a few points for being chucked out as wrong demographic.
    *Checked online banking. Just don't feel that my most recent budget update was quite accurate & I would hate for us to slip overdrawn because of an error. So am logging on every day till pay-day just to check if some sort of error comes to light.
    *Leftover half an avocado on toast for lunch......somebody on here (Ally, I think?) said that they do keep if you leave the stone in one half & tightly foil-wrap it & store in the fridge. I do that regularly now & rarely find the kept half has gone brown.
    *Find out if mr f is still planning to get the grocery shopping in tomorrow morning while I'm volunteering at a local charity. If so, then I will be adding 'Do meal plans' to today's list......& writing a shopping list.
    *Knit more Christmas present & more of my scarf. Feels really nice to be having a new thing to wear for Autumn that has cost me nothing, because the lovely yarn was an Easter gift from my Mum.
    *Line dry cat's blanket which has had a good wash today post flea-treatment.
    *Free entertainment.....library book, audiobook, catch-up TV episode & update my blog.
    *Dodgy conservatory door opened fine this morning. We thought it had broken yesterday when I was unable to close it properly last night, then it refused to lock. The key just wouldn't turn. Nearly escalated into a shouting match (we rarely argue but we are both shocking drama queens!) as I was worried that mr f was forcing the lock & that it would break & need an expensive locksmith callout in order for us to be able to secure the house. In the end, I walked away & did something else, as I knew I'd blow a fuse if I saw him trying to force it again (he is tremendously strong & sometimes breaks things by accident).....& he said he would go off on one himself if I told him one more time that he was forcing it, lol! So he stayed in there, grumpy, & fiddled with the key until it somehow righted itself. Opened like a dream this morning......just hope the bloody thing shuts ok tonight or that will be more expense on top of the washing machine & vacuum. Grrrrr!
    NOT money saving:
    *Vet bill for cat's annual check-up & jabs this morning BUT let's be fair on this one. Much better to pay for these than have a sick animal. Also, was amazed that the bill for the triple jab & a worm treatment plus check-up was £48. Our previous vet practice was charging £70 for this over 15 years ago. Unless the drug price has dropped, I think this shows how variable prices at different practices can be, Anyway, cat is back on front drive lording it over smaller weaker cats as usual.......he will zonk out tonight from the shots, he always does.
    Well, Frugal Friends, that is my plans so far today.......off to zizz up the basil now. Have a good day, all.
    F xx
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Afternoon all :)

More of the same old, same old for me, brought in breakfast lunch and snack. I found a hair in my sausage roll, I'm trying to convince myself it was one of mine but it was quite well buried in there and I have my hair tied up today :eek:

I didn't need to water the garden last night or this morning but did a quick check on the veggies and there are five new flowers on the courgettes and Auby has about eight aubergines forming now, three or four of them are a few inches long already :T

I have a date now for an interview for the local job, I did a few sums and and the money is quite a lot less than I earn now IF I'm fully booked but if I had bookings for three weeks out of four (like this month) the difference isn't so great and once I've deducted the cost of train fares there's very little difference. That said I don't think I will get it as she seems quite young and will probably think I'm ancient and I am a bit overqualified but I hope she'll be able to see past that and realise I could be an asset to her company. (In turn I am very interested in her business model :o )

My Mr T delivery, mostly paid for with coupons, is arriving tonight so no YS run for me tonight.

Really need to iron and put some washing away :(
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • crazy_cat_lady
    crazy_cat_lady Posts: 7,063 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hello :hello:
    Another day closer to the summer. Just 2 more hours of teaching, one meeting with the Head and a morning with my form class between me and 6 weeks of the summer! I know it's a pain for a lot of parents but I love my time off work and I'm lucky that I'm in a job that doesn't require any additional childcare.
    Not too much money saving going on today - I'm just making my way to the end of term and getting back to normality after exam marking.
    Lots of love and hugs to all that need them. :grouphug:
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I am excited for you CCL!

Having said I wouldn't go down for YS stuff I couldn't resist looking in on my way past and they had done it early. I bought way too many cherries, a sandwich for tomorrow and some potatoes. They were one of the things I left off my online shop because they often have them and I managed to get a bag of regular ones and a pack of finest jacket potatoes :T

I've just posted on the grab it board but will put it here too... the N@ndo's sauces are currently half price and it came with a neck collar for a free quarter chicken if you spend £5 in N@ndos.
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure