Sky, Virgin & BT TV Haggle down prices and get serious discounts Article Discussion

Options

Comments

• sirmarcus
    sirmarcus Posts: 1,381 Forumite
    edited 23 March 2013 at 12:17PM
    Options
    fredfat wrote: »
    Last month i did channel audit and realised I watched less than 25% of what I pay for, very rarely use the phone having plenty of minutes on my mobile, and as for broadband did I re need 60 megs to browse the money saving forums :D ?

It was time for me to call customer service and down grade
    from; TV:XL Phone:XL BB:MB £65.00
    to; TV:m+ Phone:m BB:MB £41.99

Great I had saved £23.00 and was very pleased with myself!

That was until I checked and realised that new customers are getting the same package plus a Tivo (I have v+ box) for only £40.99! now it may only be £1 cheaper, but I felt a little miffed that I was being charged more for being a loyal Customer (too many years to remember)

So It was time to phone customer retentions/relations and see if they could knock the £1 of my bill and provide me with a Tivo Box? I spoke to the most pleasant and helpful man and after a very short chat he reduced my bill to £30.09
    for 18mths plus a new Tivo box :j.

Should have tried harder....I pay £27 per month for Sky Entertainment, all Sky sports channels, TalkTalk unlimited b/band, phone line rental and TalkTalk free evening/wend calls !;):):rotfl:

By the way I am also not on a contract and have the deal for 12 months :j:j.
  • timbmth
    Options
    I'm pleased to say that my first attempt at a haggle worked. I was paying £50 a month for a sky tv/broadband/phone package and I phoned up to say I was considering leaving because we don't watch all the channels and Virgin/Talk Talk do cheaper deals.

I asked if there was anything they could offer me, and I was told that they would knock it down to £32 a month for 9 months. I'll just have to do the same at Christmas. :)

One thing I would say though, it's definitely worth working out exactly what channels/package you want and work out how much the competitors do it for because I had a barrage of questions that I was ill-prepared for. Still worked though, so I'm addicted now and looking for my next haggle.
  • moosetastic
    moosetastic Posts: 1,195 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    so, was telling my mum about the great deal I got offered on my sky the other week. Shes been a sky customer for years and years and was paying £52.50 a month, quite a lot for a pensioner.

Anyway, told her to phone yesterday and cancel. She phoned to cancel, they said, oh, you've been a customer with us many many years, so sorry, they reduced her package to £32 a month there and then for 9 months and told her to ring up in November to renegoiate the deal again before this one expires. Not the best deal I grant you but shes very happy!! :D
    You're so very special, I wish I was special :dance:

• foxyuk
    foxyuk Posts: 966 Forumite
    Options
    well guys been disconnected from sky one week, received no phone call was on the 50% off for 12 months... called them up and they have no discounts to offered me and told me that it would be doubtful i will get a call or be carded.

Looking at virgin now however there offering 1/2 price on full package for 12 months however an 18 month deal so last 6 months costs you £101 per month
  • shavy65
    shavy65 Posts: 562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 23 March 2013 at 4:38PM
    Options
    Been particularly dismayed at the quality of movies on sky lately which prompted me to "cancel" them...obviously just wanted one of these 1/2 price for 6 month kinda offers. Just called up about 10 mins ago, said I wanted to dump movies, they said....."OK, hold on.....right done, anything else I can help u with??!

Oops. So, any advice on best way forward from here?

Thanks
    3.975 kWp System, South facing, 21 degree pitch, 15 x Canadian Solar Elps, Samil Inverter, location NE Scotland (Fraserburgh) Bring on the Sun :beer:
  • THOMMO7777
    THOMMO7777 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    shavy65 wrote: »
    Been particularly dismayed at the quality of movies on sky lately which prompted me to "cancel" them...obviously just wanted one of these 1/2 price for 6 month kinda offers. Just called up about 10 mins ago, said I wanted to dump movies, they said....."OK, hold on.....right done, anything else I can help u with??!

Oops. So, any advice on best way forward from here?

Thanks

You need to phone up and be prepared to cancel,if you are happy to be without sky for a month or so ,i did this and had loads flyers through door for 1/2 price for 12 months kept throwing them in bin,until they phoned and and offered free sky full package for 6 months without contract ,
  • lnjk
    lnjk Posts: 895 Forumite
    Options
    I called up to cancel and got line rental and broadband for £10 for 9 months
  • shavy65
    shavy65 Posts: 562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    THOMMO7777 wrote: »
    until they phoned and and offered free sky full package for 6 months without contract ,

Cracking deal! I`v already foned back, tail between legs......
    I was on a discounted rate anyway, 20% off for 12 months so cancelling movies was only saving me £5.60 pm.

Got a lovely Scottish lady who honestly told me I couldn`t get a better deal until this one runs out. Fair enough, got movies back, now paying £43.60 for full pakage until September, at which time she told me to call back.

Still think films recently have been shocking! :p
    3.975 kWp System, South facing, 21 degree pitch, 15 x Canadian Solar Elps, Samil Inverter, location NE Scotland (Fraserburgh) Bring on the Sun :beer:
  • badgerboy68
    Options
    I cancelled Sky at the end of January & was turned off on 2nd March. The people I talked to on Customer Services & Cancellations were pleasant enough, but not prepared to offer anything at all.
    I was on a 50% off deal for Entertainment +, Sports & HD that had run for 12 months.

Purely financial reasons for cancelling, £29ish was okay per month but £58ish is too much. Did the same last year & was turned off. I think I have been on half price deals for 4 years & with Sky since around 1993.

Filled in the 'Where did we go wrong' survey & was pretty complimentary about the service & coverage which I think is pretty good particularly the Sport.
    Have not received any calls from Sky that I know of (we don't answer the phone if a number is not displayed, don't know if Sky display their number if they call?).
    Last year we were off for 5 - 6 weeks before we received a 50% offer through the post which we accepted, annoyingly a couple of weeks later we received a 75% offer but were already back on.

Couple of questions:-

I think my marketing preferences are set so that we don't receive calls or e-mails from sky I assume this will stop them from ringing with an offer?

Having had 50% off deals for a few years what are my chances of getting another, is anyone else in the same position as me & still getting a deal?

Just using the Sky box to receive the free channels at the moment & can't really afford to go back for more than £30 for the package I used to have.

Are we missing it? - I'd be lying if I said we weren't, as I love most sports & have had to catch the F1 & Football coverage wherever I can, but not able to pay the full price so off it stays.
  • philgods
    philgods Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    On full package with HD, movies and sports at £60.75 pm. No phone or broadband.

Followed the advice above and went straight through to cancellations, citing that it was too expensive etc. I didn't ask for any 'deals'. A Scottish lass offered me 25% off for 6 months but I declined.

Will report back if I get a call with a better offer. Otherwise, balls to them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure