We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

VW Touran ESP/ABS problems

Options

Comments

• TiTheRev
    TiTheRev Posts: 3,215 Forumite
    Options
    Definately doesnt effect the TSi, rest easy ;)
    :A Luke 6:38 :A
    The above post is either from personal experience or is my opinion based on the person God has made me and the way I understand things. Please don't be offended if that opinion differs from yours, but feel free to click the 'Thanks' button if it's at all helpful!
  • sparish
    Options
    I know this thread is rather old now but as an owner of a Touran with this problem you may be interested to know what happened. Also apologies for the length of the post but maybe it will help anyone in a similar position.

I have an 06 2.0TDI SE Touran that was at the time the fault occured 3yrs and 1 month old and had covered just 21000 miles

The ESP light came on one day for no apparent reason and could not be switched off. I took it to my local independent garage who diagnosed the fault as internal to the ABS unit. Coincidentally they had looked at another Touran the same day, of the same age and this had the same fault! They gave me the bad news that this was a £1000 plus repair.

Reading about it on this site and others, and knowing that at least in the past VW had contributed to repairs outside of warranty, decided to take it to my local VW dealer, Citygate Chalfont in Bucks. I got a call during the day to tell me the car was ready and to my surprise at not cost/under warranty. This was without any argument or even requesting any such gesture with them, although I had commented that I wasn't too happy about this part failing at such low mileage when I dropped it off.

They said they had checked with VW and that they were accepting claims from vehicles (Golfs, Tourans) that had this problem so long as the mileage was not over 60k. They said that there were many instances of this happening and the cause was unknown.

Although I have had a few faults with the car since I bought it, (Cruise disengaging by itself and seat belts not retracting, damaging the paintwork) the manner in which they dealt with this made me consider PX for a new model. I am talking to the dealer then seeing what I can get it for online. Perhaps I am one of the few lucky (and happy) VW Touran owners. One thing to note is that I had taken it to them for all previous work and servicing (just the once so far) so maybe they took this into account as well.

I am all for the independents to work on my car but it could have been very costly if this was a factor in getting it repaired under warranty.
  • KDH_2
    KDH_2 Posts: 130 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 18 June 2009 at 8:56AM
    Options
    Well ........... found this thread after my ESP light came on this morning :mad:.............. 4 months warranty left :T ... will be phoning dealer later!

Touran 1.9 TDi - 18.5K miles 56 plate 10/06
  • harveybobbles
    harveybobbles Posts: 8,973 Forumite
    Options
    Hurrah! Normally the light comes on during month 37 or at a mileage of 60,001...
  • hewhoisnotintheknow
    Options
    my new vw didnt get to three days old before having to be returned to the dealer
  • KDH_2
    KDH_2 Posts: 130 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    KDH wrote: »
    Well ........... found this thread after my ESP light came on this morning :mad:.............. 4 months warranty left :T ... will be phoning dealer later!

Touran 1.9 TDi - 18.5K miles 56 plate 10/06

My car's booked to have this sorted out under warranty next week :j

but interestingly spoke to someone today with a March 06 Touran 2.0TDi that suffered the same fate last wednesday (the day before mine) ....... now this car is out of warranty (but only 24.5K on clock) and the owners, with a bit of knowledge gleaned from this thread, have managed to get VW to fully cover the cost. Strangely the VW garage in Darlington had an ABS unit in stock,already to put in.......why would a garage have one of these in stock........could be that this is happening to vast numbers of 3 year old Tourans:mad:
  • Bigcol_2
    Options
    My 2005 TDI Touran has not only suffering form the ABS fault but also another common fault with the clutch/flywheel. We are facing a total repair bill of over £2000. On a car worth about £5000, that is ridiculous.

My local dealer say VW will look at free replacement of the ABS pump if your car is less than 4yrs old, or less than 100k miles and if VW serviced. Failing that the dealer will try for a goodwill payment from VW. Our car is just over 4yrs old and has 2 services from a VW independant so I guess VW will make a derisory offer.
  • hewhoisnotintheknow
    Options
    Bigcol wrote: »
    My 2005 TDI Touran has not only suffering form the ABS fault but also another common fault with the clutch/flywheel. We are facing a total repair bill of over £2000. On a car worth about £5000, that is ridiculous.

My local dealer say VW will look at free replacement of the ABS pump if your car is less than 4yrs old, or less than 100k miles and if VW serviced. Failing that the dealer will try for a goodwill payment from VW. Our car is just over 4yrs old and has 2 services from a VW independant so I guess VW will make a derisory offer.

get rid of it, it will only get worse
  • harveybobbles
    harveybobbles Posts: 8,973 Forumite
    Options
    another common fault with the clutch/flywheel

This is common on most cars these days.

Good idea in theory, just not made well enough.

Weve never paid out more than 600quid for one.
  • Bigcol_2
    Options
    get rid of it, it will only get worse

I fully intend to if VW don't do the decent thing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport