PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Food drying - Dehydrators (merged)

Options

Comments

• lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It's those jerky type treats that they adore, just thought would be nice to try it out, also will preserve what needs to be used up for a bit longer.

Thanks TL didn't think I could do those in it, itching to try it out now!
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • jaxxy00
    jaxxy00 Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, it can be used for meat! You can dry anything you like - even liquids! :)

Just had a thought: what's the point of drying meat for the dog? Mine will swallow whatever I give him whole! :rolleyes:

:rotfl: Yeah mine too. My main reason for buying this was with the idea of making tripe sticks for my dog. He luvvvvsss them, so i hope it will work doing them. Only thing is i dont know what it is or where to get it from to make tripe sticks. :confused: I know i ask for tripe and am most likely to get it from butchers (would you agree) but ive also heard that tripe can be had from many different animals and also it is got from various parts of the animals (lung, stomach etc). So what would you recommend i buy?
  • lil_me
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Tripe you can get from butchers or pet shops. Got no idea how to make the sticks, if you find out let me know my dog likes the NEttos ones. Think I would have to go out if I made them, it stinks, my Grandad used to eat the stuff and he used to slurp it. Oooooo bad memories of tripe _pale_ makes me feel rather queezy
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • Toxic_Lemon
    Options
    You can get minced tripe. I forget where someone told me you can get it. But that would probably form a good basis to dry.

I bought tripe once - ONCE is the clue! NEVER EVER again. You have never smelt anything like it in your life! :eek: I don't care how much dogs love it - I'm not cooking it again. :(
    TL
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You can get frozen tripe from most independant pet shops. I used to have to cut the stuff up and cook it every weekend, I must be the only person I know whose Saturday job (and Sunday) was working as a kennelmaid!
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • allIcouldwishfor
    Options
    I make biscuits for my dog too. In answer to the question about why dry it, I find it's easier and cleaner to have a pocket of dried treats or biscuits rather that carting around a greasy mess of old leftovers on your walks.

My Tchibo dehydrator arrived today. :j I'm very excited and looking forward to using it.
    I like cooking with wine......sometimes I even put it in the food!
  • lil_me
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm the same, can't wait to try it, but still have no idea where I will store it, grapes going in first :) pleased I checked the instructions as you have to let it run for 30 mins then cool and clean etc, before first use, so it's on doing the heat up now.

With the drying yes, that's the main reason I prefer dry doggy treats, instead of soggy bags or soggy pockets, I'm going to try making some biscuits, just googled and loads came up to try, now I have 2 dogs will be worth while.
  • jaxxy00
    jaxxy00 Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    Options
    moggins wrote:
    You can get frozen tripe from most independant pet shops. I used to have to cut the stuff up and cook it every weekend, I must be the only person I know whose Saturday job (and Sunday) was working as a kennelmaid!

I know the stuff you mean as i have brought that for him thinking he would love. He wouldnt even try it. :confused: I left it down for him for a while too, i think he may have tried to eat a bit but then spat it back out actually. So what the difference is i have no idea.

I buy him those hard dry natural tripe sticks which look all different shapes and sizes, not the uniform looking skinny sticks that you get about 10 or 20 of in a pack. These are sold by weight and you get 100g in a pack for about £1.09 depends where you get them. The pound shop had a great buy, they were doing 200g packs for £1 so everytime i went in i would buy what they had of them. They have since said they are not doing them anymore though. The same as my local Jolleyes store had a 200g pack for £1.29 which was quite a good buy but that supplier no longer doing them so the only option now is 100g for £1.09.

Toxic Lemon you made me laugh about the smell, they do absolutely reak (!!! spelling) when they are dried so god knows what it must smell like when its fresh :eek: We keep the packs of tripe sticks hanging up outside and everyone that visits gets to have a whiff of them because if they havent had a sniff already we always say 'just have a smell of this' holing the bag under their nose :rotfl: As they have no idea what they smell like they have a good ole sniff then cough and splutter when they realise what a pong!!!

I should have thought about this before i ordered the dehydrator because im just beginning to imagine what on earth it must smell like.
    'Fresh tripe in the dehydrator with a fan and heat blowing the smell about eveywhere' omg what on earth was i thinking of :eek:
  • lil_me
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    No I think the tripe will be a no no for me too, my son says grapes going in first but hasn't got the concept of time yet, and when I said they take 13 hours, he just said put them in now, think I will put them in in the morning, no chance I am getting up at 4am just to take them out!
  • allIcouldwishfor
    Options
    lil_me wrote:
    I'm going to try making some biscuits, just googled and loads came up to try, now I have 2 dogs will be worth while.

Mine's a really simple recipe.

Whiz up 100g leftover meat (I can normally pick this much out of the remains of the stock carcass) with 1 egg in a food processor or hand blender,

Add 50g oats, 150g flour and enough water to make a pastry-like dough,

Roll it out to between 5mm and 10mm thick, cut out biscuits using a cutter and bake in the oven at 180 until they are dry (normally 60mins if using raw meat, or 45 mins if using cooked).

Every dog I know loves these, even the fussy ones! They are quite crunchy so not really suitable for older dogs with less than a full set of teeth!

If you don't have any leftover meat, use meat stock instead of water.

I don't bother with the cutters anymore unless I'm making them for presents. I just roll out to fit a baking sheet then score into 1cm squares with a knife before they go in the oven then break them up when they are cooled.
    I like cooking with wine......sometimes I even put it in the food!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport