Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• MissCJB
    Options
    I have recently tried to claim compensation from KLM for a flight I took in December 2012.
    I was due to land just before noon into Venice on a flight that had taken off from Amsterdam, having flown from Newcastle first thing that morning to connect.
    Just as we were on the descent into the airport the captain announced that there was a technical fault with the landing gear and so we needed to return to Amsterdam so that the fault could be fixed. This then meant the 2 hour flight lasted 4 hours and didnt get us anyway.
    Once we arrived at Amsterdam it was complete chaos. We were given a 10 euro voucher and asked to return 45 minutes later.
    When we arrived back at the desk they said that 40 passengers had been selected to go on a flight that evening to Treviso (a 45 minute coach journey away) that would leave at 7pm. Luckily our names were on the list and this mean that 5 hours later we were finally on a flight to Italy. As this plane was due to land in Treviso the captain announced that due to fog we would have to land in Venice as this is the only airport with sufficent lighting to land in fog. So this worked out better for us.
    However as flights finish earlier there there was no transport as we had arranged to take us to our hotel so waited a further 45 minutes to get an Alilaguna to the other side of Venice and walk to the hotel over numerous bridges with 2 suitcases and my elderly mother.
    This meant that we didnt arrive at the hotel until midnight having travelled from 5am that morning.
    When I contacted KLM they are trying to deny that it was a technical fault with the inital flight that delayed me. I am so infuriated that they are lying to me when I was there. They are claiming the original fault was due to fog. I actually have a friend who knows someone in Air Traffic Control and at the time he confirmed that it was a techical fault.
    Is there any way I can prove that the flight was delayed due to technical fault or that there was no issue with weather at the time I was meant to land?
  • bazaar_2
    bazaar_2 Posts: 147 Forumite
    Options
    MissCJB wrote: »
    I have recently tried to claim compensation from KLM for a flight I took in December 2012.
    I was due to land just before noon into Venice on a flight that had taken off from Amsterdam, having flown from Newcastle first thing that morning to connect.
    Just as we were on the descent into the airport the captain announced that there was a technical fault with the landing gear and so we needed to return to Amsterdam so that the fault could be fixed. This then meant the 2 hour flight lasted 4 hours and didnt get us anyway.
    Once we arrived at Amsterdam it was complete chaos. We were given a 10 euro voucher and asked to return 45 minutes later.
    When we arrived back at the desk they said that 40 passengers had been selected to go on a flight that evening to Treviso (a 45 minute coach journey away) that would leave at 7pm. Luckily our names were on the list and this mean that 5 hours later we were finally on a flight to Italy. As this plane was due to land in Treviso the captain announced that due to fog we would have to land in Venice as this is the only airport with sufficent lighting to land in fog. So this worked out better for us.
    However as flights finish earlier there there was no transport as we had arranged to take us to our hotel so waited a further 45 minutes to get an Alilaguna to the other side of Venice and walk to the hotel over numerous bridges with 2 suitcases and my elderly mother.
    This meant that we didnt arrive at the hotel until midnight having travelled from 5am that morning.
    When I contacted KLM they are trying to deny that it was a technical fault with the inital flight that delayed me. I am so infuriated that they are lying to me when I was there. They are claiming the original fault was due to fog. I actually have a friend who knows someone in Air Traffic Control and at the time he confirmed that it was a techical fault.
    Is there any way I can prove that the flight was delayed due to technical fault or that there was no issue with weather at the time I was meant to land?
    start your claim, (NBA first ) then see what they are prepared to tell a court for the reason, youve got a lot of evidence in contradiction to them
  • isii
    Options
    Hi all, hopefully someone with more experiences could help me.

I had delayed flight from Los Angeles to Amsterdam by 4 hours which caused delay on connection flight (5 hours delay in total).The flight was bought marked as DL (delta) but was operated by KLM (connection flight was KLM bought together). Additionally, I am not sure if a checked-in online propperly before delay announcement. I went through online check-in (including luggage, passport numbers, and seat picking) but at the end I choose to pick up boarding pass at the airport becouse I have no printer.

I filled the claim form on the KLM website and was informed that they issued a travel credit voucher "as a commercial gesture" for 100USD per passenger.

Should I take this one or insist on higher compensation?

Thank you for any help.
  • natsplatnat
    natsplatnat Posts: 3,033 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Seems like a really silly question - but how do I find out why my flight was delayed? No-one I have asked (airline and tour operator) wants to shed any light!
    Are they obliged to share this information??
    start = Wed 19th Nov 2008 £21,225
    end = Mon 28th Sept 2015 DEBT FREE!
    I love a good plan - it may not work.... but I love a good plan!
  • steyu
    Options
    My flight provider Iceland Express/Astraeus went into administration and although I paid for tickets with Mastercard they have stated they are not responsible under Section 75 claims.Anybody else had similar issues and what can be done please?
  • cam1873
    Options
    I recently applied for compensation for a flight delay dating back to June 2006. I made my claim in February 2013 to my flight operator Thomas Cook and was fobbed off with a plane servicing excuse.

I then took my complaint to the CAA as advised by MSE. They then had me waiting for weeks until I finally received a reply on Monday 19th August 2013 stating that as my complaint was now over 6 years old they could not take it any further.

Having logged this complaint with both the Travel Company and the CAA prior to the expiry date surely it must still be valid?

My delay was almost 24 hours as I was heading out to Mexico on my honeymoon.

Any ideas if this is legit?
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    cam1873 wrote: »
    I recently applied for compensation for a flight delay dating back to June 2006. I made my claim in February 2013 to my flight operator Thomas Cook and was fobbed off with a plane servicing excuse.

I then took my complaint to the CAA as advised by MSE. They then had me waiting for weeks until I finally received a reply on Monday 19th August 2013 stating that as my complaint was now over 6 years old they could not take it any further.

Having logged this complaint with both the Travel Company and the CAA prior to the expiry date surely it must still be valid?

My delay was almost 24 hours as I was heading out to Mexico on my honeymoon.

Any ideas if this is legit?

Forget it over 6 years ago. Plenty of posts on the various threads will confirm.
  • friendofbillw2
    Options
    111KAB wrote: »
    Forget it over 6 years ago. Plenty of posts on the various threads will confirm.

To clarify, you have to have started COURT ACTION within the six years to be inside the limitations. Anything short of court action does not count.
  • natsplatnat
    natsplatnat Posts: 3,033 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Seems like a really silly question - but how do I find out why my flight was delayed? No-one I have asked (airline and tour operator) wants to shed any light!
    Are they obliged to share this information??

Olympic kindly confirmed the times we were due to fly and the time we actually flew... but no-one seems to want to confirm why we were delayed!!
    start = Wed 19th Nov 2008 £21,225
    end = Mon 28th Sept 2015 DEBT FREE!
    I love a good plan - it may not work.... but I love a good plan!
  • romanby1
    romanby1 Posts: 294 Forumite
    Options
    Olympic kindly confirmed the times we were due to fly and the time we actually flew... but no-one seems to want to confirm why we were delayed!!
    Write a NBA letter stating you will be making a claim in the small claims court if they do not give you a satisfacory reason for the cause of the delay and then decide if you want to proceed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback