Options

Comments

• john1
    john1 Posts: 406 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    S0litaire wrote: »
    Oh had many! but biggest one was YEARS ago

My biggest waste of cash was buying an "Atari Jaguar" games console (with the cd/dvd addon)
    Bought it with my first monthly pay cheque in 1994

what a waste... lol ^_^ First and last console I've EVER bought!

Have you checked going rate on eBay recently ??
  • villager51
    Options
    Bought a magnetic window cleaner that looked so good I bought 2. After trapping my thumb between the 2 magnets & finding that the windows just got streaky not clean I ebayed them at a loss!
  • adonis
    adonis Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    villager51 wrote: »
    Bought a magnetic window cleaner that looked so good I bought 2. After trapping my thumb between the 2 magnets & finding that the windows just got streaky not clean I ebayed them at a loss!

The best use I found for them was removing the security tag that the assistant in Mr T's left on one of the wife's purchases, saved a trip back to the store.
    The alarms must have been on the blink that day.
  • Pinkypants
    Pinkypants Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    oh forgot also had this at some stage.

http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=827&c=psion_series_3a

Was crap and forgot it was in my bag one day, throw bag on floor smashed the screen,
    Helping the country to sleep better....ZZZzzzzzzz
  • zigzigzag
    zigzigzag Posts: 64 Forumite
    Options
    Sony Viao laptop - premium price for a totally rubbish product, it died just after its one-year warranty expired (and Sony would not honour the 2-yr warranty that is supposed to apply to all products, the manager actually told us that their laptops are not built to last longer than a year, hence why their warranty is only one year). Thought I would pay the extra for a good-quality product, but learned that high-cost doesn't equal high-quality.

Sony camera-phone: took the worst photos known to humankind.

Asus Eee netbook: slow to the point of useless, such a small amount of memory that it couldn't even accept normal Microsoft and anti-virus updates. Unusable.

Samsung Tab 7-inch tablet: unbelievably slow, and crashes constantly. Unusable.

And some non-tech items:
    Breville kettle: Brand-new - I switched it on and left the room, it's 'auto-off' failed and it boiled the whole kettle dry, ruining the brand new cupboards above it with water damage (had just had a new kitchen installed, argggghhh).

Donut-shaped baking pans - they do not produce anything resembling donuts.

Just-add-boiling-water pasta-cooking canister - does not cook the pasta at all.
  • IDProtected
    Options
    - several devices meant to open any or all bottles, jars etc. They don't.
    - printers. Each works fine when new, then because they're used so seldom they cake up, conk out, but generally stop working.
    - chip cutter (thing that looks a bit like a tennis racquet)

But good things that were definitely worth it
    - George Forman grill, bought mainly for toasted sandwiches, but now used for sausages, fish, chips, onions, burgers, etc, etc, in fact the oven is feeling decidedly neglected since we got it.
    - runner bean slicer
    - boiled egg pricker
    - wall mounted, hand operated tin opener.
    The above three are decades old and really do their jobs.

The jury is still out on the dishwasher we recently acquired, it seems to me that by the time I've loaded it, I could have just washed the dishes and saved the electricity.

Is it a Spong bean slicer? I used to love using my Gran's old Spong, best fun a child could have!
    Owed @ LBM, including mtg: £85961.15, As of 1st August 2016: £14481.01 :j
    September 2016; out of debt and have savings for the saddest reason. RIP Aunty, I'll never forget you:(

Never begin a sentence with "And". Unless you are the Goo Goo Dolls that is.
  • Solarjunkie
    Options
    Yes, it's a cheerful red Spong that screws on to the edge of the table - the posh 2 bean version! Used every time I have fresh beans.
    Deal with things as they are, not as they should be.
  • spud17
    spud17 Posts: 4,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Is it a Spong bean slicer? I used to love using my Gran's old Spong, best fun a child could have!

Bit off topic, but I remember a slightly more modern version of that.

A mates mother had one which clamped to the table, he improved it by removing the handle, then fitted/bodged on an old windscreen wiper motor.
    Connected up a battery, result was bits of pulped bean everywhere.
    I hate to think what would have happened to any body parts which got caught.
    The mk 2 version was banned before it could be built.:rotfl:
    Move along, nothing to see.
  • teakbank12
    Options
    Just been viewing a Blackberry Playbook 64GB on a local selling site, supposedly only months old for £60?? Been trying to decide wether it will access Yahoo e-mail to save lugging my laptop around (seller didn't know). Keep looking at Kindles but cannot decide.

Now to the money i've wasted over the years...
    £1,200 Sony Betamax in 1979 which was a lot of money in those days!!
    A portable B/W 4" Tv combi Radio/cassette also from the 70's!!
    George Foreman grill, never used so wife gave it away!

Good job the wife don't read this site as i have a garage full of "gadgets" that i keep as they may be of use one day :)
  • Rosamundi
    Rosamundi Posts: 33 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OH hates eating fruit so he bought a smoothie maker.

Fruit bill went through the roof for 2 weeks.

Horrendous to clean, inside the spout went mouldy. For the last 6 years it has lived in the cupboard with the OH insisting I can't get rid of it .... just wait until my next day off!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure