🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

The Great 'Which gadgets were your biggest waste of cash?' Hunt

Options

Comments

• onesixfive
    onesixfive Posts: 485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    • Bread maker - stuck on top of a cupboard
    • Food Processor - takes up a full cupboard in kitchen with all its attachments
    A simple hand whisk blender which cost less than a tenner & fits in a drawer is used far more frequently than either.

Are we going for Best Gadgets one week on here....I have dozens!! Paint Pod, Pineapple Corer !, Tabletop Dishwasher, Extending feather duster, handheld stairs vacuum.........
  • davejones3187
    Options
    I bought the MCI300 so I could listen to internet radio on a decent sound system and to stream the music from my PC. Not only is it technically disappointing - sometimes working, sometime not - but the support from Philips has been absolutely appalling.
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Toastie maker - used at uni in halls but its so much faff to use. Not sure where it's gone now, probably in the bin lol
  • geri1965_2
    geri1965_2 Posts: 8,736 Forumite
    Options
    Sandwich toaster
    Breadmaker

Waste of time.

I've just been given a slow cooker and George Forman grill. Time will tell on those!
  • bluesnake
    bluesnake Posts: 1,460 Forumite
    Options
    Orange juice press - cost £16, hard to clean, half an orange is often too large and the juice goes everywhere, the number of oranges to get one glass is both expensive and takes a lot of effort, and it is quite a tall device.
  • purpleweasel
    Options
    One of those mandolin slicer-thingys. My OH wanted it but i have always thought it was a lot of assembly/messing about/washing up for the amount of time it might save. And i was scared it would slice the tops of my fingers off
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Any tin opener that isn't one of the simple butterfly ones.
  • fatheroftwogirls
    Options
    A reply to some peoples 'waste of cash'

Breadmaker, used so much the second one is getting worn out like the first.
    It goes on most evenings for a house full of lovely fresh bread smells in the morning.
    Took a while to find the right flour for great taste.
    George Forman Grill, used occasionally.
    Does toasted sandwiches well without the fuss of the the bread not fitting to the specific gadget.
    See above regarding bread.
    Slow cooker.
    OH uses it regularly, great to put on in the morning, go out for the day and supper is ready on return accompanied by delightful aromas.
    Also good for dinner parties as timing can be flexible.
  • Solarjunkie
    Solarjunkie Posts: 385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    - several devices meant to open any or all bottles, jars etc. They don't.
    - printers. Each works fine when new, then because they're used so seldom they cake up, conk out, but generally stop working.
    - chip cutter (thing that looks a bit like a tennis racquet)

But good things that were definitely worth it
    - George Forman grill, bought mainly for toasted sandwiches, but now used for sausages, fish, chips, onions, burgers, etc, etc, in fact the oven is feeling decidedly neglected since we got it.
    - runner bean slicer
    - boiled egg pricker
    - wall mounted, hand operated tin opener.
    The above three are decades old and really do their jobs.

The jury is still out on the dishwasher we recently acquired, it seems to me that by the time I've loaded it, I could have just washed the dishes and saved the electricity.
    Deal with things as they are, not as they should be.
  • jaydeeuk1
    jaydeeuk1 Posts: 7,714 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 20 March 2013 at 3:51PM
    Options
    Dreamnine wrote: »
    Blackberry Playbook - I used it about 5 times - piece of crap.

Microsoft Windows 710 phone - as above.

Surprised about the nokia 710 - last year I thought it was the best phone you could buy for under £120 (wife loves it), made my xperia play feel like an antique. What did you not like about it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 9 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport