Road tax for disabled?

Options

Comments

• Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    Funny thing is that I posted about this DLA404 on the other forum and got told that I had been told wrong - apparently I was told right according to what you are now saying.

- as far as I'm aware an old paper 404 or a new 'letter of authority' will be accepted by both a local DVLA or post office
    - but the interwibble will only accept the serial number type from 'letter of authority' but not the old DLA404
    - essentially the internet is the way forward and reissuing constant bits paper lasting only years is out !
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • only_mee
    only_mee Posts: 2,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My old 404 ran out in 2005 i have used the serial number on it every year since to get my tax disc online.
  • sunnyone
    sunnyone Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Richie do I need the cert, to retax my car this year?

I used a new cert. last year for the same vehicle but Ive missed placed it so if I need it thsi year I will have to get my hubbie to phone for a new one.
  • only_mee
    Options
    Yes you need a certificate for the serial number when doing it all online, if you prefer using a post office you need to request one.
  • bery_451
    bery_451 Posts: 1,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    - that's correct, anyone insured and legal can drive your dad
    - but he can only be in one car at a time, so only one tax disk is needed
    - that taxed car can only be used for the disabled person's personal needs
    - it can not be used by the nominated driver for their own personal use

Otherwise a sneaky parent could get ten tax disks, keep one himself, give eight away to his friends in the club and give the last one to his son for helping out as a nominated driver. That would never do would it ? I mean the purpose of the help offered is to help the more than three million disabled people with their mobility needs. Clearly neither his friends in the club or the son has any mobility needs otherwise they would have a VED exemption certificate and log book in their own right - wouldn't they ?

I understand but cant he apply for 2 tax discs at the same address? because there are 2 cars at the same address which he uses both. A estate car to do shopping and a small compact mini car for other purposes such as visits/appointments etc.

Where does it say its only for 1 car only in the terms and conditions?
  • only_mee
    Options
    No it's only one free tax disc.
  • tomtom256
    tomtom256 Posts: 2,221 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    bery_451 wrote: »
    I understand but cant he apply for 2 tax discs at the same address? because there are 2 cars at the same address which he uses both. A estate car to do shopping and a small compact mini car for other purposes such as visits/appointments etc.

How about the moon on a stick!

I think one free tax disc is enough for anyone, how much shopping do they do to need an estate sized car.
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    bery_451 wrote: »

- enough - Andy
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    sunnyone wrote: »
    Richie do I need the cert, to retax my car this year?

I used a new cert. last year for the same vehicle but Ive missed placed it so if I need it this year I will have to get my hubbie to phone for a new one.

HiYa sunnyone,

If you've lost your bit~o~paper just ring the Disability Benefits Unit on 0845 712 3456, you'll find them accommodating, tell them you need a new 'award number', they'll issue a new one via the post and cancel the old number to stop thieves.

NOTE : Sometimes the sequence of the dates mismatch, for example if you renew test / insurance and tax all at the same time the [most people do] insurance can take a month to appear on the Motor Insurance Database (MID) meaning that the internet can not tax your car because no insurance is showing as valid.

One trick is to insure and test your vehicle a month earlier than the tax is due. You will of course lose the value of 1/12th of the test & insurance, but its worth it because it makes 'armchair taxing' painless, and stress free. You will of course only ever need to do this once ever.
  • Ziggazee
    Ziggazee Posts: 464 Forumite
    Options
    I think you are misunderstanding what I told you on the other thread. The new style Vehicle Exemption Certificates (VED) can be used over and over again. The VED is the new DLA404 and the form you use when you 'buy' your tax so you don't need to pay. You only need a new VED if you move address or change your vehicle. You will still need to apply for tax every year the same as anyone else....but you use the form to be exempt from payment.

And....the disabled person is only entitled to ONE free tax disc....regardless of how many cars they have.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure