Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales > Freecle / freecycle and balloons on sticks (Page 119)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Freecle / freecycle and balloons on sticks
Views: 350,549
# 2361
lindseykim13
Old 14-03-2012, 8:28 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Wanted to vent my annoyance at people actually offering junk. I replied to this add
offered-various-toys, kids magazines, clothes, suitable for car boot.

Turned out to be a mouldy granny style shopping trolley, ripped and stained clothes (5 items) no toys, no magazines.
The lot needed to be dumped and thats exactly what i did, some people really take the pee and expect a free dump service.

I couldn't give something that disgusting away- i made my dh clean the rabbit hutch we gave away the other week.

Last edited by lindseykim13; 14-03-2012 at 8:31 PM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to lindseykim13 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2362
cigarwife
Old 14-03-2012, 10:12 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

At my wits end with local freecycle moderator, who insists on moderating everyones posts. I had sent a message practically begging her to post a TAKEN message (I had sent 4 in total, a further 2 after sending this email were also ignored but she doesnt have any problems posting anyone elses messages including another freecycler who constantly posts gushing about all the wonderful things she gets and how lovely all the freecyclers are, which is nice but blocks up all the offer/taken/wanteds).

This is the message I sent
Quote:
Can I please ask why you wont allow TAKEN posts to be published? I have twice posted now to ensure i no longer get request emails for an item that has now been taken and would be extremely grateful if you could moderate this board correctly and allow a post through for an item that has been taken.
This was the reply from the mod, i didn't even know i was looking for those words to be honest
Quote:
Some messages end up as spam.
The words you are looking for are 'please' and 'thank you;
Am not a total newbie, I lost my previous log in details after taking a very long break from this site
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cigarwife For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2363
dizziblonde
Old 14-03-2012, 10:18 PM

I actually started posting on my offers that "I am on pre-moderated status still so it may take a while for any takens to appear following this offer"... seemed to speed up the takens getting through somewhat.
The Following User Says Thank You to dizziblonde For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2364
Mrs.W
Old 14-03-2012, 11:13 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Last week I offered a four year old Dell laptop on fc.

I was staggered by the number of responses. But not a single one managed to include the word 'please' or anything close.

I'm not being overly sniffy here, 90% of the responses included the words, "If it works, I'll have it!" Followed by a request to call a mobile phone number.

Two days later I gave the thing to Oxfam.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mrs.W For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2365
cigarwife
Old 15-03-2012, 12:05 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

I recently posted several items to giveaway and included the message that the items would only be given to the most polite reply and not given to the first person who emails. I received a few emails of support from people with their horror stories of rude replies, but not one polite email for any of my offers. So it can all go to the recycling centre instead sometime.

I have now left freecycle, too many rude people demanding stuff and totally fed up of the mod.

I posted some gift vouchers last week, they can only be used in the uk (i live outside the uk), someone emailed me to demand i post them to her as she doesnt live in the freecycle group area and so cant collect them. Ended up giving them to someone who brought round a box of chocs in return
Am not a total newbie, I lost my previous log in details after taking a very long break from this site
The Following User Says Thank You to cigarwife For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2366
JimmyTheWig
Old 15-03-2012, 9:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarwife View Post
I posted some gift vouchers last week
Against the rules, I believe!!
# 2367
chickywiggle
Old 15-03-2012, 12:59 PM

ohh Mrs W I would be overwealmed if someone offered an old laptop (so long as it worked) and would have written a lovely message. Normally tho when they do get advertised I don't even ask for them as they are right over the other side of the city so i can never get to them (don't drive + 2 small kids and a full time job).

I know i've thrown things before because i either got no polite replies or the only polite ones were from my stalker carbooter.

LOL at the mods reply cigarwife not sure they even read your message... i can see a please.
Want to read reviews, recipies and meal plans - head over to Chickywiggle.blogspot.co.uk ... there may be a competition.
# 2368
mttylad
Old 15-03-2012, 9:15 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Cigarwife, try your local Freegle group instead.

They are not bound by the extreme Freecycle rules as much so dont have the same stick up their butt
# 2369
shelley_crow
Old 16-03-2012, 8:05 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindseykim13 View Post
Wanted to vent my annoyance at people actually offering junk. I replied to this add

Turned out to be a mouldy granny style shopping trolley, ripped and stained clothes (5 items) no toys, no magazines.
The lot needed to be dumped and thats exactly what i did, some people really take the pee and expect a free dump service.

I couldn't give something that disgusting away- i made my dh clean the rabbit hutch we gave away the other week.
I had a similar encounter.

I was successful in getting a double pushchair for my neighbour. I went and picked it up but it was getting dark. The woman was very nice, I thought it would be great. I dropped it off next door. OMG, I went around to look at it and it was mildewed to high heaven and have furry mould where food had been left on it before it was stored. You wouldn't want to touch this pushchair, let alone put a baby in it! The funny thing was the woman stipulated that she didn't want it to be sold. My neighbours dumped it for her for free. I was shocked.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shelley_crow For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2370
Amanita
Old 16-03-2012, 1:42 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTheWig View Post
Against the rules, I believe!!
No - discretion of local group.

For eaxmple we allow vouchers and coupons to be offered but not requested ( or we'd be overrun)

The Following User Says Thank You to Amanita For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2371
chickywiggle
Old 19-03-2012, 6:38 PM

Quote:
WANTED: golden syrup/treacle tins (empty) please
do they think people are going to wash them as well.... don't know about you but i don't fancy that task! it's heard enough getttin it off the spoon.
Want to read reviews, recipies and meal plans - head over to Chickywiggle.blogspot.co.uk ... there may be a competition.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chickywiggle For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2372
pinkladyof66
Old 19-03-2012, 7:52 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

i had to chuckle on ours just

Taken: Strollers and dison hover

# 2373
pulliptears
Old 21-03-2012, 1:33 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
WANTED: Tefal Actifry
Hi I am after a Tefal Actifry but budget doesn't stretch to a new one.
If anyone has one they no longer want or use please let me know - I'm
happy to collect
yep, I just happen to have a 200 gadget lying around unused!!
*This is my bargain you mewling quim*
# 2374
saver2000
Old 21-03-2012, 3:16 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindseykim13 View Post

I hate it when I get something off ebay where it hasn't be cleaned up. I'm paying good money, the least they could do is give the items a quick clean.
I always dust my items down and try to clean them up a bit.
I bought a computer monitor on ebay once it was all covered in soil and fluff!
# 2375
StaffsSW
Old 21-03-2012, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarwife View Post
At my wits end with local freecycle moderator, who insists on moderating everyones posts. I had sent a message practically begging her to post a TAKEN message (I had sent 4 in total, a further 2 after sending this email were also ignored but she doesnt have any problems posting anyone elses messages including another freecycler who constantly posts gushing about all the wonderful things she gets and how lovely all the freecyclers are, which is nice but blocks up all the offer/taken/wanteds).

This is the message I sent This was the reply from the mod, i didn't even know i was looking for those words to be honest

Why are so many FC mods jumped up little jobsworths with Napoleanic complex's? I have a very tenuous connection with Staffs Moorlands FC, but I keep getting complaints directed at me about the attitude of the mods. Saying that, some of the emails that get forwarded to me about him are comedy gold!

He checks people against the electoral role when they apply to join, and also searches for them on facebook etc to see if they are suitable to join. If he doesn't like your email address, you're barred, if you live on the wrong side of the street, you're barred, if you don't offer high enough quality items, you're barred, if you complain about anything... you get the idea.

And if he is really angry, you GET AN EMAIL IN BRIGHT RED CAPS TELLING YOU TO GROW UP!

And no doubt he will find this on Google, so hello Mr F
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to StaffsSW For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2376
dizziblonde
Old 22-03-2012, 11:52 AM

Two wanteds in the same day from one person (a serial ridiculous wanter - get at least 4-5 a week from them):
Wanted: Planters, plants/trees and water feature
Wanted: Gas barbecue and garden furniture

... do you want us to come and Ground Force the garden up for you as well? I can't quite manage the whole Charlie Dimmock sex symbol thing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dizziblonde For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2377
Amanita
Old 22-03-2012, 12:31 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew8975 View Post

And if he is really angry, you GET AN EMAIL IN BRIGHT RED CAPS TELLING YOU TO GROW UP!
Hmmm - might try that one myself.

# 2378
cigarwife
Old 22-03-2012, 6:03 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Too big to dispose of

Hi I am looking for a motorhome/camper van with a engine that works.

Does not matter the age or condition.
Couldn't even be bothered to put Wanted in the title box let alone use manners
# 2379
pinkladyof66
Old 22-03-2012, 8:45 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

wodden cot bed no matress colection

lol

# 2380
mttylad
Old 22-03-2012, 10:43 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

RE getting mouldy junk from the groups, it is entirely upto you if you choose to take something that has not been described correctly.

If you turn up and something really is junk, if it is really mouldy and dirty say so. If it can be cleaned up and reused then thats another thing entirely.

You are under no obligation to take something, simply say "no - sorry but it is not as descried so I will not be taking it from you."
The Following User Says Thank You to mttylad For This Useful Post: Show me >>