Great 'Isn't it obvious?' MoneySaving Hunt revisited

Former_MSE_Penelope
Former_MSE_Penelope Posts: 536 Forumite
edited 10 May 2011 at 7:19PM in Old style MoneySaving
Great 'Isn't it obvious?' MoneySaving Hunt revisited

Three years ago we asked you in the Great 'Isn't it obvious MoneySaving' Hunt about your MoneySaving ways which you thought were obvious, but weren't necessarily to others. We reckon it's time to revisit this hunt and get loads of new gems.

View past Great Hunts.

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]

Comments

• namakemono
    namakemono Posts: 248 Forumite
    edited 12 May 2011 at 3:25PM
    It's got to be cashback sites for me- nobody I know has heard of them really, and a couple have even insisted they must be a scam even though I've shown them that I've been paid from them!
  • MaggieBaking
    MaggieBaking Posts: 964 Forumite
    edited 12 May 2011 at 7:41AM
    Tesco Rewards - I still know lots of people who don't know about converting them into 3 times their value!!

We love the cinema tickets and restaurant vouchers!! :)

A friend got married a couple of years ago. I realised her hotel was included in Tescos Rewards so for £30 in vouchers I was able to have a 2 night stay there for FREE! I just couldn't believe it at the time.
  • oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Growing your own fruit and veg,making homemade hearty soups,keeping chickens.
  • espresso21
    espresso21 Posts: 196 Forumite
    I stumbled across a cashback site last night and thought it must be a scam; however, I've still signed up as it sounds like a good idea. It's good to hear someone say they have used them and really got money back!
  • Ladyhawk
    Ladyhawk Posts: 2,064 Forumite
    I was telling some colleagues today about topcashback... they also thought it about scam. I think they may have come round to my way of thinking!
    Man plans and God laughs...
    Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry. But by demonstrating that all people cry, laugh, eat, worry and die, it introduces the idea that if we try to understand each other, we may even become friends.
  • boots_babe
    boots_babe Posts: 3,225
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Shopping around!

So basic, yet so many people fail to do so. Whether it's clothes shopping, food shopping, or bigger things like utility bills, cars, loans, mortgages, etc.

My mind boggles when I think of how much money people waste simply due to buying from one place all the time.
  • Simply using leftovers in inventive ways

the left over mash potatoes dont have to be mash for the 2nd night they could be fish cakes/shepards pie/bubble & squeak it doesnt have to be boring!
    HSBC [STRIKE]£3223.20[/STRIKE] £2060.00
    Cap1 [STRIKE]£1724.91[/STRIKE] £1782.00
    OD [STRIKE]£939.78[/STRIKE] £200.00
    No 49 of £2012 in 2012.. £645.10 so far & Crazy Clothes £14.09/£100.00 ReducingtheToiletryStash2012 UU12/IN 20 March Grocery 0.00/£65.00 & LbsNot£s Lost 14Lbs
  • espresso21
    espresso21 Posts: 196 Forumite
    Using credit cards with money-back rewards. I always pay my credit card back at the end of the month to avoid debt, but I get quite a bit of money back. If you're going to spend the money anyway you might as well be rewarded for it, and if you also use a cash back website, then that's a bonus!
  • Patr100
    Patr100 Posts: 2,558
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Get a bike!
  • rachbc
    rachbc Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    Not buying stuff you don't need! And having a strict definition of need!
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport