What have you baked today?

Comments

• elf06
    elf06 Posts: 1,547
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Do you have apple squares in Scotland? They're just a layer of pastry on the bottom, cooked diced apples in the middle, topped with another layer of pastry and a sprinkle of caster sugar (and they always get squished in the paper bag on the way home). I always thought they were lovely but I've never seen them in Engalnd, and I daren't make them as I'd only scoff the lot myself.

We have something that sounds very similar in our Mr T although they are triangles not squares :rotfl:
    Emma :dance:

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
  • I feel a bit inadequate on this thread but I love to read :D Yesterday I made another batch of oatcakes...I'm still getting the hang of them....these were too dry....I shall keep practicing until I perfect it ;)

Does anyone know - is oatmeal the same as oatbran? Hubby called me from Asda earlier as I'd put oatmeal on the shopping list to say that he could only find oatbran and would that do? I said yes....but now I'm having second thoughts *clueless*
  • angeltreats
    angeltreats Posts: 2,286
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I feel a bit inadequate on this thread but I love to read :D Yesterday I made another batch of oatcakes...I'm still getting the hang of them....these were too dry....I shall keep practicing until I perfect it ;)

Does anyone know - is oatmeal the same as oatbran? Hubby called me from Asda earlier as I'd put oatmeal on the shopping list to say that he could only find oatbran and would that do? I said yes....but now I'm having second thoughts *clueless*

Yum, oatcakes.

Bran isn't the same as oatmeal unfortunately. A quick google brings up this:

Oat bran is the outer husk of the oat grain. The bran of grain is normally discarded during the milling process, which is unfortunate, since it contains the bulk of the dietary fiber of the grain, along with a large amount of useful minerals. When the bran is left on, the grain is marketed as “whole grain,” and in the case of oat bran, the bran is also sold separately, for people who want to up their fiber intake.

Do you have any porridge oats? You could throw a few of them into a food processor to make oatmeal for oatcakes.
  • oooh thank you for that :) I had a look earlier but became google bamboozled :S

We have lots of porridge oats :D (value, of course ;) )...but no food processor. Never mind, I dare say I shall create something :D
  • janb5
    janb5 Posts: 2,615
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    edited 19 October 2010 at 1:03PM
    sb44 wrote: »
    I have tried shortbread, that was great, I think I have tried Tiffin, not sure if the rock cakes would be too much like their name!

;)

Hi sb44 here is the tiffin and the rock cake recipe.

TIFFIN

8 oz biscuit crumbs ( small pkt digestives in poly bag crushed with rolling pin )
    4 oz marg
    2 oz sugar
    1 tablespoon golden syrup
    1 tablespoon cocoa
    cooking chocolate

melt marg sugar syrup and cocoa in large pan. Stir in biscuit crumbs. Mix well. Put into gresed cake tin( shallow - swiss roll tin) approx 7.5" Press down and allow to cool.

Melt choc and pur on top. I usually use Sainsbury plain choc. Can melt choc in microwave but dont overheat. Nuts/sultanas can be added for a change.

Put in frig and when chilled score and slice.

FLAPJACKS

250 g unsalted butter ( have used salted and it is fine)
    1.5 tablespoons of golden syrup
    1 cup of sugar
    1 cup of dry coconut(dessicated)
    1 cup of plain flour
    2 cups of oats
    teaspoon of baking powder
    pinch of salt( optional)

Heat oven to 180deg C
    Melt butter and golden syrup in saucepan
    While this is melting stir the rest of the ingredients in a bowl
    When melted, add the butter and gold syrup to the mixture and stir well.
    Place mixture into greased baking tray and press doown firmly.
    Put in oven and cook for 15 minutes or until golden brown
    Leave to cool in tin until cold.
    Cut and enjoy.

Sainsbury sell the measuring cups which are about £2.50, I think.:j
  • Re potato scones and soda farls - just today I have taken delivery of a brand new cast iron griddle (the sort that sits over two rings on the cooker). I am going to make potato bread and soda farls till there is a stockpile of them in my kitchen :D

Funny you should say that about the eclairs, I seem to see them all the time with normal cream (although it's probably been sweetened a bit). But back home they were often filled with mock cream which apparently a lot of people preferred to 'real' cream, but I never could stomach the stuff. To this day I really don't know what it's made of, despite working in a bakery that used it. It put me off eclairs for years, until I learned to make choux pastry at college and could fill it with whatever I liked.

Do you have apple squares in Scotland? They're just a layer of pastry on the bottom, cooked diced apples in the middle, topped with another layer of pastry and a sprinkle of caster sugar (and they always get squished in the paper bag on the way home). I always thought they were lovely but I've never seen them in Engalnd, and I daren't make them as I'd only scoff the lot myself.

Good luck with the farls and potato bread,let me know how it goes.Do you think you could give me the recipe for potato bread?It sounds good.I have a griddle that I bought nearly a year ago and still haven't used.

I think we have apple squares in Scotland.

As for the eclairs,I think I'd rather have real cream.I had one on holiday recently and the filling tasted like real cream.It was lovely! :D

Here you can get millefeuille with a cream or a custard filling.The cream one is nicer.

Thanks janb5 for the tiffin recipe.
  • sb44
    sb44 Posts: 5,203
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    janb5 wrote: »
    Hi sb44 here is the tiffin and the rock cake recipe.

TIFFIN

8 oz biscuit crumbs ( small pkt digestives in poly bag crushed with rolling pin )
    4 oz marg
    2 oz sugar
    1 tablespoon golden syrup
    1 tablespoon cocoa
    cooking chocolate

melt marg sugar syrup and cocoa in large pan. Stir in biscuit crumbs. Mix well. Put into gresed cake tin( shallow - swiss roll tin) approx 7.5" Press down and allow to cool.

Melt choc and pur on top. I usually use Sainsbury plain choc. Can melt choc in microwave but dont overheat. Nuts/sultanas can be added for a change.

Put in frig and when chilled score and slice.

FLAPJACKS

250 g unsalted butter ( have used salted and it is fine)
    1.5 tablespoons of golden syrup
    1 cup of sugar
    1 cup of dry coconut(dessicated)
    1 cup of plain flour
    2 cups of oats
    teaspoon of baking powder
    pinch of salt( optional)

Heat oven to 180deg C
    Melt butter and golden syrup in saucepan
    While this is melting stir the rest of the ingredients in a bowl
    When melted, add the butter and gold syrup to the mixture and stir well.
    Place mixture into greased baking tray and press doown firmly.
    Put in oven and cook for 15 minutes or until golden brown
    Leave to cool in tin until cold.
    Cut and enjoy.

Sainsbury sell the measuring cups which are about £2.50, I think.:j

Thanks, shall show my daughter at the weekend as she has decided she wants to help. :)
  • ive just baked chocolate melting pots ready for pudding.... yum yum yum :j
    does my bum look big in this sig?
  • Diflower
    Diflower Posts: 601 Forumite
    Just taken a tray of brownies out of the oven.
    Still in it is a tray of the apple & cheese dog biscuits. The cheese is a rather old bit of castello blue I found at the back of the fridge:)
  • janb5
    janb5 Posts: 2,615
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I have done the tiffin and the flapjack recipe lots of time and it is very reliable which is handy. Tiffin is gorgeous and very fattening I should think! Forgot to say to melt the chocolate very gently in microwave - maybe 1 minute at a time. HTH
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure