IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

MSE News: Wheel clamping to be banned on private land

Options
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

Comments

• liam8282
    liam8282 Posts: 2,864 Forumite
    edited 17 August 2010 at 11:34AM
    Options
    Fair enough, but what is going to be done about all of those that park without permission on private land?

Will clamping just be replaced with something else? Just read towing also banned, but surely they will have something up their sleeve?
  • trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    liam8282 wrote: »
    Fair enough, but what is going to be done about all of those that park without permission on private land?

Will clamping just be replaced with something else? Instant towing?
    That's going to be banned as well. As for stopping unauthorised parking they will just have to install barriers . Landowners already protect their building by having doors and windows, so just another step in the chain. And don't forget that this ban has been in force in Scotland for twenty years without the collapse of civilization.
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • TRT
    TRT Posts: 33 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Towing is banned too, and it reads as if immobilising a vehicle is also punishable. So what do you do when you want to lock up your car park at night and there's still someone parked in there?
  • trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    TRT wrote: »
    Towing is banned too, and it reads as if immobilising a vehicle is also punishable. So what do you do when you want to lock up your car park at night and there's still someone parked in there?

Just the same thing that happens when the council lock their car-park at night. The motorist will have to wait till the next morning to claim it.
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Fair enough, but what is going to be done about all of those that park without permission on private land?...
    The equalities and criminal information minister says private firms will be banned from clamping or towing vehicles but would still be able to ticket parked cars ...

Hmmm...hope you've got your tin hat on MSE Guy, making comments like that on this board :D
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • liam8282
    Options
    Installing barriers is no solution for a business that has a private car park.

Car parks have to be accessible, but nothing can be done to stop people who do not have permission to park. Oh, except giving an unenforcable ticket.

Yes, I disagree with cowboy clampers etc, but I also disagree with those that are parking on other peoples land without permission.
  • liam8282
    Options
    trisontana wrote: »
    That's going to be banned as well. As for stopping unauthorised parking they will just have to install barriers . Landowners already protect their building by having doors and windows, so just another step in the chain. And don't forget that this ban has been in force in Scotland for twenty years without the collapse of civilization.

So if I wanted to, could I go park on a persons home drive way if they leave the gate open?

I fail to see any difference between doing this, and a person parking on any other private land they don't have permission.
  • King_Nothing
    Options
    So if I wanted to, could I go park on a persons home drive way if they leave the gate open?

I fail to see any difference between doing this, and a person parking on any other private land they don't have permission.

I wouldn't like to see the repair bill you get for your car after you leave it unattended on someone elses driveway, lol.
  • liam8282
    Options
    I wouldn't like to see the repair bill you get for your car after you leave it unattended on someone elses driveway, lol.

So what your saying is, if people do park on private land, the answer is now to damage the cars? :T

Clampers don't seem so bad after all.
  • King_Nothing
    Options
    Parking on the wrong person's drive on the wrong day is always going to equal your car being damaged. How exactly does that equal to me saying the answer to someone parking on your drive is to smash it up? I was just making the observation that, that is likely to happen.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure