pet porte catflap

Options

Comments

• toastiest
    Options
    eira wrote: »
    I need a cat proof cat flap-the fixtures on the ones I've had just aren't strong enough. The Siamese 's chip has wandered to under his armpit and I was told that the Porte cat flap wouldn't read the chip. Also there isn't a powert source next to the gaping hole in the wall where the cat flap used to be

If the uninvited cats are enough of a problem, I would say try to get one of these pet portes to work - if it entails getting a new chip that's compatible and getting an extension cable for power source then maybe that's just what you may need to do if these other cats have become too much of an issue :)
  • clancy
    clancy Posts: 490 Forumite
    Options
    Am i able to still ring Pet Porte helpline for advise if needed if i buy it from somewhere else, say ebay or other website???
    Mum of 2 adorable children & 2 cheeky cats who were born on 23.04.2009 :rotfl:
  • shelly
    shelly Posts: 6,394 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    clancy wrote: »
    Am i able to still ring Pet Porte helpline for advise if needed if i buy it from somewhere else, say ebay or other website???

If my memory serves me correctly yes you can.
    I bought our flap from petplanet.co.uk and when it arrived it had some fixings missing. I called petplanet who said I needed to call petporte directly as petplanet obviously didn't have missing parts in stock to send out.
    I called petporte who sent the missing pieces out the same day. I also had to ask about changing the lock timer which they sent info via email.

HTH
  • clancy
    clancy Posts: 490 Forumite
    Options
    Excelent many thanks Shelly
    Mum of 2 adorable children & 2 cheeky cats who were born on 23.04.2009 :rotfl:
  • pianoshazza
    Options
    :)Oh goodness, just did a quick search on here today about cat flaps and now am totally confused! Loads of really useful info, I hadn't realised you could get a "microchip" cat flap! Have got two gorgeous (but I am biased!) 8 month old kittens, both microchipped and desperate to get out.
    I decided to alter my door to garden and have a cat flap put in, sounds simple but what to choose?! This new idea of one that recognises microchips sounds wonderful ,but, my concern is the wiring/plug in aspect of it. How does the wiring go from the door to the plug, is the wire very long , is it unsightly and most of all what about kittens/cats that love to play with wires??!!
    Any feedback or ideas etc would be gratefully received, purr purr!:)
    :female:
  • pusscat
    pusscat Posts: 386 Forumite
    Options
    I have the wires taped along the top of the skirting boards - the wire is very thin and white and the skirting boards are white and the walls cream - so it hardly shows at all. The cats have not touched the wires to date (and we have 4) and one of ours normally chews wires....I think as it is taped up it is not very exciting.

The wire that comes with the flap is about 3m long, so we also have the extension as the closest plug is 5m away.

My eventrual aim is to have a hole drilled through the wall next to the flap and the wire taken direct to a plug socket in the garage, but having had poor experiences with cat flaps in the past I wanted to make sure this worked well before I did "structural work!".

I have had no problems with the microchips - one of my chaps is 19 and his chip is pretty old and has slid down his shoulder - it still works no problems. He is also pretty slow at getting his act together through the cat flap and it still seems to work for him.

On the subject of fitting through, I would not worry too much, I had a Staywell flap before - it was the same sized flap, the neighbours dog chased one of our cats in through the cat flap, the cat (who is not frightened of dogs at all) then decided he was bored of this chasing game, turned on the dog and chased him back out through the flap at full speed...if it can fit a flying Jack Russel then I think most cats will fit!

Puss
    xx

I can honestly say that I have been thrilled with my Pet Porte - there were one or two teething troubles (see my earlier post on this thread for details) but we would not be without it now!

I don't work for them or anything - just impressed to date.
  • pianoshazza
    Options
    :TThanks so much Puss for your reply with loads of useful info........I feel a bit more confident about buying one now. The wire is a good length and so long as my little darlings don't start gnawing at it I'm sure it will be great. Have got to get someone in to alter my back door as its all glass at the mo....will let you know how I get on. am going to read back through the posts to find the best place to purchase from.
    I know my kitties will be glad to get into the big world outside, sure I'll be a bag of nerves tho!
    Thanks once again.....:A
    :female:
  • shelly
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We have the old version of petporte and luckily have a socket close to our back door where the flap is but as pusscat said you can buy extension wires for the flap.
    If the wires become a problem the new smartflap will run on batteries in its most basic mode.

In doing my research quite a while ago I found petplanet to be the cheapest for the old version but they don't sell the old version anymore, only the new version.
    New version is £99.99 with free delivery. (can't link directly to it, link goes funny)

Though this site http://www.thevetpetshop.co.uk/petporte-flap-c-169.html sells the old petporte, the new petporte and also a totally different brand of microchip flap, the Sureflap.

HTH
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    shelly wrote: »
    We have the old version of petporte and luckily have a socket close to our back door where the flap is but as pusscat said you can buy extension wires for the flap.
    If the wires become a problem the new smartflap will run on batteries in its most basic mode.

In doing my research quite a while ago I found petplanet to be the cheapest for the old version but they don't sell the old version anymore, only the new version.
    New version is £99.99 with free delivery. (can't link directly to it, link goes funny)

Though this site http://www.thevetpetshop.co.uk/petporte-flap-c-169.html sells the old petporte, the new petporte and also a totally different brand of microchip flap, the Sureflap.

HTH

If I do get one, I will get the old model as my boys are big boys, especially George:o

Apart from the electrics/battery back up & size of course, is there any differences between them?
  • shelly
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    MrsE wrote: »
    If I do get one, I will get the old model as my boys are big boys, especially George:o

Apart from the electrics/battery back up & size of course, is there any differences between them?

There are a few differences I believe but not exactly sure of them all.

I'll link you to the user guides for both old and new version so you can compare them.....

Old version http://www.petporte.com/pdf/PP0103userguide.pdf

New version http://www.petporte.com/pdf/PP0203UserGuide.pdf

Having a quick look at each user guide there doesn't appear to be as many differences as I first thought.
    I think the main differences are what they promise for the future.

HTH
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport