🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

pet porte catflap

Options

Comments

• toastiest
    Options
    pusscat wrote: »
    The only improvement I could suggest would be a "mouse sensor" that would not let ANY cats carrying live or dead prey into the house - but I guess that is a long way off :-)
    Have a search for "flo control" flo being someone's cat who keeps bringing mice in.
    They used image recognition quite cute actually. I'm sure it's possible but I guess it would cost so much that people wouldn't buy it?

I'd love to get a petporte but I am worried that it is too small also as my big boy cat often has to run away from attackers and has ended up scraping the fur off his back to get a fast entry! The current hole is 17.5 x 17.5cm and I can see that he has to take his time to get in and out harm free.
  • ajb69
    ajb69 Posts: 135 Forumite
    Options
    toastiest wrote: »

I'd love to get a petporte but I am worried that it is too small also as my big boy cat often has to run away from attackers and has ended up scraping the fur off his back to get a fast entry! The current hole is 17.5 x 17.5cm and I can see that he has to take his time to get in and out harm free.

If you download this PDF:

http://www.petporte.com/pdf/PP0203OpeningTemplate.pdf

and print it out at 100%, it will show you how big the flap is - so you could hold it up against your current flap and see if there's any difference?

This is for the SmartFlap by the way, if that matters.

EDIT - just to clarify, this is the flap size only, the surround is obviously a bit bigger and you can find a template for that here: http://www.petporte.com/pdf/PP0203Template.pdf

Cheers

Drew
  • clancy
    clancy Posts: 490 Forumite
    Options
    Really wished i never opened & read this thread as i now HAVE to have one of these, was on the verge of purchasing a catflap where my main concern was being able to lock it, Its all new to me (after having housecats for 17yrs) but after reading some of your stories about other cats entering the home and even some breaking the flap to gain entry i cant risk not getting a Petporte, and seeing as i have my kittens microchipped i think i would be silly not to get peace of mind at night...
    Mum of 2 adorable children & 2 cheeky cats who were born on 23.04.2009 :rotfl:
  • Jonesy_McJones
    Options
    clancy wrote: »
    Really wished i never opened & read this thread as i now HAVE to have one of these, was on the verge of purchasing a catflap where my main concern was being able to lock it, Its all new to me (after having housecats for 17yrs) but after reading some of your stories about other cats entering the home and even some breaking the flap to gain entry i cant risk not getting a Petporte, and seeing as i have my kittens microchipped i think i would be silly not to get peace of mind at night...

You could always try a regular cat flap first...? We had a Staywell one (with a switch to lock it - closed, open, in only, out only) before the Pet Porte one - we made sure that they both needed the same size hole in the glass so we could just 'upgrade' if we needed to.
  • clancy
    Options
    You could always try a regular cat flap first...? We had a Staywell one (with a switch to lock it - closed, open, in only, out only) before the Pet Porte one - we made sure that they both needed the same size hole in the glass so we could just 'upgrade' if we needed to.

I understand what your saying but i was looking for a cat flap with a lock as i would prefer to close & lock it if both cats are in, one of my cats loves nothing more than to go out around 9pm and disappear for around 3 hours at a time, which means i have to stay up waiting for him (he is 8 months and i couldnt leave him out overnight) so having a cat flap would stop me having to stay up waiting for him but i think i would also worry about other cats getting if left unlocked, my other cat has for the last 3 months not ventured out much maybe once a week for an hour, and is like a big mummy's boy who just wants cuddles and hugs. The one who goes out is a bold bruiser who battles with the cats around here with no fear, even to the point of being attacked a few months ago by an elder cat who bit him on the tail and within an hour it was infected and he couldnt move it, as soon as he was better and allowed out again he ran straight to the elder cat as if nothing had happened, which means he prob gets chased quite a bit and no doubt gets chased back to our garden, we have a lot of cats where i live and i have noticed even more since my cats started going out as if they sensed they were kittens and wont to show terriority. Knowing i can get a cat flap which will only allow my cats in and can also lock after my bruiser has come in for the night is ideal for me i just never knew they existed, thought the closed thing to making the catflap work for my cats only was the magnitic ones which is a no go for me as my cat cant wear a collar anymore as he had got 4 seperate collars caught in his mouth where he tries to remove them ( the last time was so horrific for him and me i decided not to bother putting him through that again as he is microchipped) Sorry for rambling on lol
  • pusscat
    pusscat Posts: 386 Forumite
    Options
    toastiest wrote: »
    Have a search for "flo control" flo being someone's cat who keeps bringing mice in.
    They used image recognition quite cute actually. I'm sure it's possible but I guess it would cost so much that people wouldn't buy it?

The "flo control" is fantastic!!!

I have sent a link to Mr P who is an IT bod - asking if he can sort something similar out for us!
  • tux900
    tux900 Posts: 410 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    pusscat wrote: »
    I have sent a link to Mr P who is an IT bod - asking if he can sort something similar out for us!
    Being a fellow 'IT bod' he might like my homemade cat feeder!

Mathew
  • pusscat
    pusscat Posts: 386 Forumite
    Options
    MJNewton wrote: »
    Being a fellow 'IT bod' he might like my homemade cat feeder!

Mathew

Wow - WAY TO GO!!!:T:T:T

That looks great - hope the cats appreciate it!

Have sent a link on to teccy land - so no doubt your invention will be being admired by a whole office full of tec's tomorrow morning :rotfl::rotfl:
  • clancy
    Options
    Can anyone tell me if they have had a problem with there cat being to big for it, one of my 9 month old cats is already a bit of a porker and im worried he might get even bigger and not be able to get through it with ease???
  • tux900
    tux900 Posts: 410 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 6 February 2010 at 10:45AM
    Options
    Hi Clancy,

Of course, there's 'big' and there's 'big' but one of ours is somewhat on the likes-his-food side of the line and he gets through no problem despite at first glance you thinking there'd be no chance.

If you really think you might have an issue you might want to consider purchasing the 'old style' Pet Porte (i.e. not the new Smart Flap version) as this was somewhat bigger.

Mathew
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family