Anyone had experience of a company/solicitor doing the work of reclaiming? (merged)

Options

Comments

• seangenius
    Options
    mia2007 wrote: »
    I have used bank smart and you have nothing to worry about!
    They have a secure log in so that you can check your claim status via there website.
    If you no longer have your secure log in details you can email them [EMAIL="support@bank-smart.co.uk"]support@bank-smart.co.uk[/EMAIL] and they would provide you with your details,after clearing the security questions.
    Hope this helps

I disagree completely, and contest that this is a geniue posting. In my opinon the company symmetric systems t/a bank-smart are dodgy. They tried to take me to court for disputing their cancellation fee after I cancelled their service

They lost their argument against me after their claim was dismissed by the judge because their terms where ambigous and badly written and there was no case to justify their fee.

They claim to do work for 10 % on a no win no fee basis this is set out in their terms of engagement letter but their terms and conditions where clearly different. It clearly stated if you claim falls within a certain value they will see a minimum fee of £150+VAT. When I refused to pay they added £50.00 for a debt collection fee (which wasnt included in their claim) and when it was going to court add on £150 for a processing fee. The court case reference was [FONT=&quot]8QZ17000[/FONT] and was held in Croydon County court on 16th March 09.

I would strongly advise that you avoid this company and do it yourself. I intend to obtain the judge's decision in writing and post on here for all to see.

Also it is important to note that on their website they claim to be dealing with £100,000,000 of claims. I find that hard to believe when the company hasn't filed any returns for 2 years due to being a small company they are exempt and has an acid ratio of .83 also they have no phone no in which you contact them.

Avoid, Avoid Avoid
  • esmerellda
    esmerellda Posts: 2,237 Forumite
    Options
    seangenius wrote: »
    I disagree completely, and contest that this is a geniue posting. In my opinon the company symmetric systems t/a bank-smart are dodgy. They tried to take me to court for disputing their cancellation fee after I cancelled their service

They lost their argument against me after their claim was dismissed by the judge because their terms where ambigous and badly written and there was no case to justify their fee.

They claim to do work for 10 % on a no win no fee basis this is set out in their terms of engagement letter but their terms and conditions where clearly different. It clearly stated if you claim falls within a certain value they will see a minimum fee of £150+VAT. When I refused to pay they added £50.00 for a debt collection fee (which wasnt included in their claim) and when it was going to court add on £150 for a processing fee. The court case reference was [FONT=&quot]8QZ17000[/FONT] and was held in Croydon County court on 16th March 09.

I would strongly advise that you avoid this company and do it yourself. I intend to obtain the judge's decision in writing and post on here for all to see.

Also it is important to note that on their website they claim to be dealing with £100,000,000 of claims. I find that hard to believe when the company hasn't filed any returns for 2 years due to being a small company they are exempt and has an acid ratio of .83 also they have no phone no in which you contact them.

Avoid, Avoid Avoid

Well done for standing up to these people, showing them up for what they are, and thank you for posting. I hope it is okay I have copied your post over to another forum as I think it is important as many people know to avoid as possible.

Have you reported them to the Ministry of Justice?
    LegalBeagles
  • seangenius
    Options
    ewftes wrote: »
    hi i used a company called BANKSMART to reclaim my bank charges, all was going well i received a letter in february last year saying how much i would receive, since then ive received a couple of emails but nothing to say how my case was progressing, i have emailed BANKSMART twice this month giving them my case number and asking for a update, but nothing, they have no contact telephone number on there headed mail only an address.
    could you please help

cheers:beer:
    Send them a cancellation notice, they terms and conditions will not hold up in court. They had a claim against me and it was dismissed. However you should seek proper legal advice before doing this.
  • seangenius
    Options
    You need to check what the agreement was with the company. There is no such thing as "no win, no fee" and you may find that in the small print there is a cancellation fee.
    Their terms & conditions won't hold up in court providing you send them a cancellation notice. I would suggest anyone who is involved with them do this immediately.
  • seangenius
    Options
    esmerellda wrote: »
    Well done for standing up to these people, showing them up for what they are, and thank you for posting. I hope it is okay I have copied your post over to another forum as I think it is important as many people know to avoid as possible.

Have you reported them to the Ministry of Justice?
    No but I will as well as the OFT
  • esmerellda
    esmerellda Posts: 2,237 Forumite
    Options
    12 weeks isnt over ambitious for credit card charges, unless they do no work.

Theres no need for your case to go to a solicitor at all. Credit Card Claims are not on hold.

Check the company you are using on https://www.claimsregulation.gov.uk
    LegalBeagles
  • seangenius
    Options
    Discharge them in writing stating "contract frustation" due to "non perfomance" also write to your bank and recind their authority to act on your behalf.
  • sharpeibekky
    Options
    Hi just a question.

Over the past week have recieved a phonecall from a company ststing that if you pay them £49.50 they will send you the info pack that you need to request your charges back from the bank. It's per bank account, and most people recieve money back within 6wks, 10wks at the max. Instead of chasing the bank for all paperwork etc this pack contains it all to reclaim back 6yrs worth that you are intitled to, the man said some banks only will allow 2 yrs worth of bank charges, but with these forms it bypasses the slowwing down of the process that the banks can do also you do not need all your bank statements to send off.

What do u all think of it, to be honest we have probarly over £1500 in charges in 1 account, aswell as 2 other accounts that we have recieved charges for but not as much.

my husband said to the man how do i know your telling the truth etc, gave compnay name, business number to trace with companies house etc so all seems above board but wondered if any of you had experienced similar.

Regards
    Rebecca
  • Orford
    Orford Posts: 2,199 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Over the past week have recieved a phonecall from a company ststing that if you pay them £49.50 they will send you the info pack that you need to request your charges back from the bank
    All you will receive is a set of template letters, exactly the same as available here and on all the other consumer sites, the only difference being it won't cost you £49.95
  • MercMan
    MercMan Posts: 460 Forumite
    Options
    My GF got a phone call from a firm called BAB charging exactly the same fee. She put the phone on speaker so I could hear them. They told her that the Court had found in favour of the customers and she was 100% certain to get her charges refunded.
    "What does not kill you makes you stronger"

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport