PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Muffins muffins muffins

Options
I have searched the internet but all the recipes I can find are American. Sweet and savoury recipes welcome.

Thanks

Comments

• Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    http://www.wwrecipes.com/convert.htm

Use this to convert weights etc and you can make American muffins. Sainsbury and ASDA sell US cup measures.

www.deliaonline.co.uk has sweet and savoury recipes.
  • Eliza252
    Eliza252 Posts: 449 Forumite
    Options
    http://www.food.gov.uk/healthiereating/bus/recipes/209982/

This is the one I use because its so simple and very good results - I just replace the blueberries with whatever I want - apple, chocolate etc

From our own good old Food Standards Agency, who would of thought they have a soft spot for cake! ;)
    I've made my debts bite-size too depressing to look at all at once so am handling them one at a time - first up Graduate Loan £1720 paid off! only £280 to go!!!
    Money to raise for tuition fees: £3000
    When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on!!
  • lynnemcf
    lynnemcf Posts: 1,233 Forumite
    Options
    Does anyone know how to substitute apple sauce (or is it apple puree) for the oil / fat? I've seen it on American sites.
  • kazd
    kazd Posts: 1,127 Forumite
    Options
    I don't suppose for one minute anyone out there has a recipe for Lancashire Oven Bottom Muffins or one for Barm Cakes (Flat Bread Rolls for those of you who are not au fait with them)
    £2.00 Savers Club = £34.00 So Far

+ however may £2 coins I have saved in my Terramundi since 2000.

Terramundi weighs 8lb 5oz
  • Eliza252
    Options
    I've made my debts bite-size too depressing to look at all at once so am handling them one at a time - first up Graduate Loan £1720 paid off! only £280 to go!!!
  • Eliza252
    Options
    oops! My bad. the link above is not an actual recipe, here is one anyway:

4 cups flour 1 tea sp salt 1 tea sp sugar 1 package dry yeast 1 quarter cup lard
    Set the yeast working with the sugar and half the liquid warmed to tepid. sift flour and salt .rub into the lard. When the yeast is frothy add it to the flour with the remaining liquid. mix to a soft dough; cover and leave to rise for one hour. punch down, knead lightly; divide into small pieces 2 by 3 inches. Leave for about 20 minutes brush with water dust with flour and bake at 425 degrees for about 15 to 20 minutes
    makes about one dozen

- I think Barm cakes are essentially the same cake (I may be inviting some criticism here!) - just they are from a different region
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    kazd wrote:
    I don't suppose for one minute anyone out there has a recipe for Lancashire Oven Bottom Muffins or one for Barm Cakes (Flat Bread Rolls for those of you who are not au fait with them)

Or tea-cakes as they're known over the hill ;)

I'll never forget the time a friend of mine went into a bakery in Yorkshire and asked for a muffin, only to be presented with a cake :rotfl:

BTW, tea-cakes are currant buns darn sarf just to confuse matters even further :D
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• MrsMW
    MrsMW Posts: 590 Forumite
    Options
    Tea cakes in Yorkshire are not the same as oven bottom cakes. It also depends which part of Yorkshire you are in. Since we moved I am totally confused by the names, so now I just point to what I want. LOL
  • streetgirl74
    Options
    I have got lots of bananas and thought i might make some muffins, does anyone know some easy muffin receipes please :confused:
    :eek:

:wall:
  • mirakl
    mirakl Posts: 484 Forumite
    Options
    1/2lb self raising flour
    6oz sugar
    4oz melted butter
    1 egg
    2 tsp baking powder
    8 fl oz milk

1/2 lb anything you want to flavour them

Method
    mix all dry ingredients together
    beat egg
    mix melted butter, milk and beaten egg into dry ingredients

Don't over mix, it should be the constitency of lumpy porridge, don't be afraid of adding more flour if you think it looks too wet, or tasting it to see if it's sweet enough.

bake at 200oC for 20 mins.

this should make about 10 - 12 depending on how much you fill the muffin cases, I prefer to make 8 HUGE ones from that mix.

I'll double check the recipie tonight to make sure that's 100% correct
    My Doctor told me that "1 out of 3 people who start smoking will eventually die." The other two apparently became immortal.

eBay £00-00
    Amazon £00-00

Grand Total £99-41
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business