Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

Muffins muffins muffins - Page 3

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Muffins muffins muffins

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
394 replies 58.1K views

Replies

• SoftstuffSoftstuff Forumite
    3.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    JoJo3 wrote:
    thanks for that Frostie - how much is a "cup" in these american recipes?
    Though of course it easy to convert the recipes to weights and measures, I've converted myself to the "cup" style of cooking. I just use a little cup I have, and do the rest accordingly. So much easier than weighing.
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • thriftlady_2thriftlady_2 Forumite
    9.1K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    JoJo3 wrote:
    thanks for that Frostie - how much is a "cup" in these american recipes?
    An American cup measure holds 8 fl oz of liquid.

If you're using US recipes remember a US pint is 16 fl oz not 20;).So an American quart is 32 fl oz (not 40).
  • janeawejjaneawej Forumite
    808 posts
    ✭✭✭
    I made these yesterday and they are absolutely gorgeous! I changed the recipe a bit to use what i had and make it a bit healthier and have given the origional and my version!

Raspberry and oat muffins makes 12

100g - 31/2 oz oatmeal (I used porridge oats)
    250ml - 9fl oz skimmed milk
    1 med egg
    200g - 7oz golden castor sugar (I used soft brown sugar as this is less processed)
    150g - 5oz p flour (I used 1/3rd wm self r and 2/3 plain white)
    2tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp bicarb
    100g- 31/2 oz raspberries (I used them straight from the freezer)
    2tsp rolled oats to sprinkle

preheat oven to 190 and line 12 muffin tins

mix oats and milk in a bowl

mix sugar, oil and egg in a jug

sieve flour, bicarb and baking powder into a bowl add raspberries and toss gently to coat in flour

stir egg mixture in then oats mixture and spoon into muffin cases, sprinkle with oats and bake for about 15-20 mins

you could use, bluebarries, chopped apple, apricots or just about any other fruit, add 1/2 tsp cinamon for extra flavour if you like it,

these realy are lovely and low in saturated fat too approx 200 calories per muffin:rotfl:
    Member 1145 Sealed Pot Challenge No4 ;)
    NSD challenge not to spend anything till 2011!:rotfl:
  • JillD_2JillD_2 Forumite
    1.8K posts
    these sound lovely, I think I will try them over the next few days.

Can you freeze them once they're made do you think ? Otherwise I will be forced to stuff myself silly with 12 of them which would be 2400 calories :rotfl:
    Jan GC: £202.65/£450 (as of 4-1-12)
    NSDs: 3
    Walk to school: 2/47
    Bloater challenge: £0/0lbs

• bigpaws23bigpaws23 Forumite
    455 posts
    Ooo yummy - thanks. Raspberries are my favourite fruit :)
    When you say you used porrage oats instead of oatmeal, did you grind them to oatmeal consistency or just have a courser texture?

We use loads of oats, so these sound like they could become a family favourite

bigpaws x
  • comping_catcomping_cat Forumite
    24K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could also add some white chocolate chips to that mix, lovely with the raspberries!!!!
  • twinktwink Forumite
    3.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    am i not seeing it or have you missed out the amount of oil in the recipe
  • janeawejjaneawej Forumite
    808 posts
    ✭✭✭
    twink wrote: »

OOPs your right twink! thanks for pointing that out! sorry everyone you also need

50ml - 2fl oz olive oil

I just used porridge oats straight from the pack no grinding or anything! I didnt even think of that but they were great!

Yes i think white choc chips would be heavenly in these too thanks

I would think that if you used fresh fruit it would be fine to freeze them or make half the recipe maybe? however i find that when i bake people seem to come out of the woodwork and its soon all eaten up!!:beer:
    Member 1145 Sealed Pot Challenge No4 ;)
    NSD challenge not to spend anything till 2011!:rotfl:
  • HariboJunkieHariboJunkie Forumite
    7.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    twink wrote: »

They don't call you "eagleeyes" for nothing do they? ;):D :T
  • Just made these muffins tonight and they are definitely very yummy. DD2 says they are gorgeous - better than the carrot/sultana ones I made last week, which I thought were lovely. OH has just had one and says the same - you're onto a winner with this one.

Thank you very much janeawej:A
    "It is always the best policy to speak the truth-unless, of course, you are an exceptionally good liar." - Jerome K Jerome