PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make your own ice cream

Options
There are loads of ways to make vanilla icecream here's the cheap and the really cheap way to make it :

Cheap -

4 Eggs separated
4 ounces of icing sugar (sifted)
1 tsp of vanilla essence or 1 pod of real vanilla if you want to push the boat out
300 ml Double cream

1. Whisk the egg whites until stiff and add the icing sugar 1 tablespoon at a time, whisking well after each spoonful.

2. In another bowl whisk the yolks and the vanilla essence/vanilla seeds together then gently fold this into the egg white mixture.

3. If you are posh ;) add the mixture into an icecream maker. If you are as poor as I am then pour it into a large tupaware container and pop it in the freezer, then keep stirring it every 10 to 15 mins to break up the ice crystals and make it smoother. You will know when its ready it will be like icecream and not milkshake.

The Really Cheap way -

This method was used during and after the war when fresh eggs and cream were a real luxury. You can tell its not the real thing but its not too bad.

4 tbsp cornflour or cornstarch
90g granulated sugar
500ml milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Method

1. Mix together the cornflour and sugar in a bowl. Stir in just enough of the milk to form a thin paste.

2. Bring the rest of the milk to the boil in a non-stick saucepan. Pour the hot milk into the cornflour paste in a thin, steady stream, stirring constantly.

3. Return the mixture to the pan and bring to the boil over a moderate heat, stirring constantly. Once the mixture boils adjust the heat to a gentle simmer and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.

4. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the vanilla.

5. Lay a piece of greaseproof paper directly on the custard and slightly up the sides of the pan, to prevent a skin forming. Cool the mixture, then chill in the refrigerator.

6. Once the vanilla mixture is thoroughly chilled, either use an icecream maker or pop it in the freezer and keep stirring it as explained earlier.

Just right for these hot summer days try it with the honeycomb recipe I posted a few days ago or smash up a bag of malteesers and mix them in. Or pour some Baileys over it.

Again be careful with raw eggs not really suitable for pregnant women etc etc.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    use the cheap way, but throw in diced frsh fruit. ::)
  • Jaycee_3
    Options
    Chocolate Chip Ice Cream (Easy!!!)

Ingredients

large carton Double Cream
    tin of Condensed Milk (not evaporated)
    1 packet Chocolate Chips

Whip the cream to the floppy stage until it stands in soft peaks.
    Stir in Condensed Milk and chocolate chips.

Pour into a loaf tin (lined with freezer cling-film or foil) and freeze.

To serve: Cut into slices with a knife (dip knife in hot water to make it easier) and serve with home made chocolate sauce made with Mars Bar and a little milk.

PS: If you want to make the ice cream a bit more special, you can add some liquer like Grand Marnier.

June
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    There's a related thread on Ice Lollies you can see... Click Here

And there are a couple more in the "Cooking" section of the MEGA Index which is currently a sticky at the top of the board.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Mado
    Mado Posts: 21,776 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    For those with more adveturous tastes...I highly recommend Chestnut creme ice cream: :D
    1 tin of chestnut cream
    1 tin of low fat evaporated milk.

In the ice cream maker or otehrwise... mix freeze, mix again and so on.
    I lost my job as a cricket commentator for saying “I don’t want to bore you with the details”.Milton Jones
  • Zziggi
    Zziggi Posts: 2,485 Forumite
    Options
    Has anyone got any other ice-cream receipes please? (preferably those that don't use cream)

Got my ice-cream maker with my boots advantage card points yesterday so i'm going to be having a go soon. Wasn't too impressed with the receipe booklet that came with the ice-cream maker. I got kids with milk intollerance so wanted to make ice-cream with soya milk as they are really young and feel they are missing out on ice-creams on hots days. I can substiutue cows milk for soya milk in the ice-cream receipes but all the receipes seem to also want double cream and i can't get hold of non-dairy cream.

So i thought i'd post my dilemma on the OS board 'cos someone is bound to have a solution..... :think:
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The only one I could find is this one:-

A [size=+0]vanilla bean,[/size] or a [size=+0]lemon rind,[/size] is first boiled in a quart of [size=+0]milk.[/size] Take out the bean or peel, and add the [size=+0]yolks of four eggs,[/size] beaten well.

Heat it scalding hot, but do not boil it, stirring in white sugar till very sweet. When cold, freeze it.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • jordylass
    jordylass Posts: 1,093 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I prefer to sorbet to ice cream, no milk or cream in these, they are usually made with a syrup which is 1oz sugar to 10ml water which I find too sweet, but a search for sherbert (which is the name for it in the states) should get you some recipes.
    There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so.
  • Kippsy
    Kippsy Posts: 259 Forumite
    Options
    I have a recipe for strawberry yoghurt Ice cream.... but if you want totally non-dairy ice cream I don't know how to make it but I know a very good brand you can get in the supermarket.
    oooh look only about 220 posts and I got round to doing my Avatar already!!
  • jordylass
    jordylass Posts: 1,093 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Could I have your yogurt recipe. I love frozen yogurt.
    There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so.
  • Alison_B
    Alison_B Posts: 2,124 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Does anyone have any good ice cream recipies? Bought a recipie book an they have things in like Chocolate and Rosemary ice cream and I want the good old fashioned simple recipies.

I have an ice cream maker but it gets a thick coating of ice at the bottom. Can you tell me how to make it without the machine but by hand.

Many thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family