The Great ‘Crucial Phone Numbers’ Hunt: Easy numbers for when things go wrong.

Preparation is crucial… when things go wrong, it's always more difficult to get the numbers you need.

So I wanted to tap MoneySavers' collective conscience to find out what numbers everyone should have, from the direct dial to the local policestation, to a locksmith, car glazer, roadside recovery policy number and more.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Comments

• Paparika
    Paparika Posts: 2,476
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    for car numbers, write down all the necessary emergency contacts (and policy details if necessary) on a small piece of card, and slip it into the tax disc holder.
    Life is about give and take, if you can't give why should you take?
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Ambassador
    I have a ring binder file with punched pockets which contain the receipts for any work done in the house and garden. If the roofer, plumber, electrician etc did a good job, his invoice and a positive comment about the standard of work goes into the file.

So if I needed to call a plumber urgently, I would call him first and be assured that he will turn up and do a good job.;) If he was unavaliable, I always ask him to give me his personal recommendation of who else I should try.

My file helps me to find reliable craftsmen quickly and avoid the cowboys.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected] views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • So, what number do you call from your mobile in an emergency? 999? NO! Call 112 - the European emergency number. Works in the UK, and best of all:

* the operator will not ask your number - they already have it
    * the operator will know where you are - to within approx 50 feet in some areas
    * the operator will ask you only which service you need - and will then put you through to the emergency service in the very area you are in, and pass on your number too. Ever tried to remember your number when you dial 999?

Best of all - you do not even need a SIM card in to use 112 or 999. Even if the phone is locked, you can still dial 112 or 999.

BUT - do use 112, it is faster, it is more accurate, it will help services find you if you are in real trouble. :A
  • adam2484
    adam2484 Posts: 436
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    i store them in my mobile...
  • mobilez
    mobilez Posts: 66 Forumite
    So, what number do you call from your mobile in an emergency? 999? NO! Call 112 - the European emergency number

It appears 999 and 112 are the same service and run in parallel [from Ofcom website]

That said, it's probably sensible to teach kids 112 as this will work in more countries!
    * the operator will ask you only which service you need - and will then put you through to the emergency service in the very area you are in, and pass on your number too.

The services above should work with both 999 and 112 calls. You dial the number - the operator asks which service - then connects the call to the chosen emergency service, announcing your number to them as they connect the call (tried and tested)

If you have caller ID turned off on the handset or dial 141 to withhold your number - this will not matter - the operator will still have your number on their screen when you call.
    Best of all - you do not even need a SIM card in to use 112 or 999. Even if the phone is locked, you can still dial 112 or 999

In the UK and many other countries you cannot dial 999 or 112 without a valid sim card! You must have an active sim in the phone to dial 999/112. You don't need credit - just a signal/coverage eg if you can receive incoming calls you should be able to dial 999/112.

If a phone is "keypad locked" you can almost always still dial 999/112 (the oldest retro-phones will only dial 999 whilst key-locked) - however if the phone is network locked eg locked to Orange then you can often only dial 999/112 with a correct-network sim in.
    do use 112, it is faster, it is more accurate, it will help services find you if you are in real trouble

112 was introduced in the UK as part of an attempt to have a universal emergency number across the EU (999 has been in use in the UK since 1937). Both numbers should offer the same service.

:) Mobilez
  • ukmonkey
    ukmonkey Posts: 3,024
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    So, what number do you call from your mobile in an emergency? 999? NO! Call 112 - the European emergency number. Works in the UK, and best of all:

* the operator will ask you only which service you need - and will then put you through to the emergency service in the very area you are in, and pass on your number too. Ever tried to remember your number when you dial 999?

Best of all - you do not even need a SIM card in to use 112 or 999. Even if the phone is locked, you can still dial 112 or 999.

BUT - do use 112, it is faster, it is more accurate, it will help services find you if you are in real trouble. :A

Most, if not all of this post is incorrect, as has already been pointed out.
  • Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Good morning:

If you smell gas then call:
    0800 111 999 for England, Scotland and Wales
    0800 002 001 for Northern Ireland
    01624 644 444 for Isle of Man
    01481 749000 for Guernsey
    01534 755555 for Jersey
    • If you are calling from a mobile phone then go outside first.
    • Do NOT smoke, do NOT turn light switches on or off and do NOT do anything to create a spark.
    • Turn off the supply at the meter. If you do not have to switch on a light to do so, open doors and windows and wait outside for the emergency engineer to arrive.
    HTH

Canucklehead
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • lisafenn
    lisafenn Posts: 10 Forumite
    Hi Guys

This is my first posting on the site.

I have found a free phone number for directory enquiries

0800 100 100

I use it all the time.

Hope this is useful to everyone

kindest regards

Lisa :)
  • earthmother
    earthmother Posts: 2,563
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I don't have actual numbers to mention - but I do keep a list pinned to the wall by the phone of emergency (and other useful) numbers - saves me having to find the phone book or mobile phone (if it has charge on it).

The list starts with the local GP, Out of Hours, Local Minor Injuries unit and the nearest two A&Es (other towns). Then I have direct family mobile numbers, school and playgroup contact numbers, the health visitor and the dentist.

My thinking being that this list isn't just for me - it's for my mum if she's keeping an eye on the kids for me, and for any emergency service who may need to enter the house in case there's no-one here able to answer their questions.

I shall keep an eye on this thread to see what other additions I need to put on there - already added the Gas number.

:)
    DFW Nerd no. 884 - Proud to [strike]be dealing with[/strike] have dealt with my debts
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    lisafenn wrote: »
    I have found a free phone number for directory enquiries

0800 100 100
    But remember virtually no freephone numbers are free to call from a mobile.

However, it is possible to make free freephone calls from your mobile's inclusive minutes (if you have a contract with gives you those) by using one of the below gateway (dial-through) numbers. If one doesn't work for you, the other will:

0200 222 0900

0200 222 0700
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure