changing from warm air heating to radiators

can anyone recommend who would be able to to the conversion of warm air to radiators , got a guote from british gas for £7200 for the three bedrooms, bathroom, lounge, landing, dinning room ( 7 radiators) surely thats a bit much dont you think !!!!

Comments

• gartshore
    gartshore Posts: 86 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    where2start where do you live , rule of thumb a quote of between £3,000 /£3,500 .
  • hi, we in wellingborough, northamptonshire !!
  • gartshore
    where2tostart i am a corgi registered installer in the Glasgow area , look up the corgi website put in your post code & you will get a list of your local registered installers get two or three quotes & ask for the quote to include disposal of the old system , watch out for any asbestos fluing & cupboard linings as these can be very expensive to remove .
  • Many thanks gartshore, for the info will do that and yes the removal of the absestos on the inside door is going to cost me an arm and leg as well to remove but will check the site you ahve suggested !! cheers
  • gartshore
    where2tostart keep me informed of your progress will be glad to advise you through the process including the asbestos situation , i have much experience in managing large central heating projects with asbestos removal .
  • Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Good evening: At least 3 more itemized, written quotes are in order....price will vary according to the type of system you want installed i.e. combi, heat only boiler and HW cylinder/Megaflow or similar unvented cylinder, brand of boiler, controls etc. See this document from the Energy Saving Trust for more info on the specification and installation of gas central heating systems http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/uploads/documents/housingbuildings/ce30.pdf The presence of asbestos will have an adverse effect on your quotes...My OH, Corgi Guy now steers clear of this type of install...been exposed to enough toxins in his working life :eek:

To find an installer visit www.trustcorgi.com or check out www.iphe.org.uk for a heating engineer who is also a qualified plumber

HTH

Canucklehead
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • Canucklehead, many many thanks to you as well on the info given will message you on my progress when i find the right people to do the job, just the quote i got from british gas is unbelievable and will check the site you have suggested.
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I have a warm air system, my next door neighbour had his replaced with conventional radiator system.
    Something I had never realised - nor did he ! is the amount of wall space you will lose due to radiator positioning. You will find that a major shuffle of your furniture is needed, you may even find that your furniture won't all fit in the same rooms.

It really is surprising when you go from one house to the other and compare.
  • Hi, we are also thinking about changing our warm air heating system to a conventional water radiator system. However from what I have read warm air is far more economical.

We are only considering the change because a british gas engineer told us our system was has an energy efficiency rating of G/H which goes against everything i have read?? (was he trying to get us to get central heating..?)

i would have thought we could get our 25 year old warm air boiler changed for a modern one for much cheaper?

I am a bit confused why warm air isnt more popular?
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    liongoose wrote: »
    Hi, we are also thinking about changing our warm air heating system to a conventional water radiator system. However from what I have read warm air is far more economical.

We are only considering the change because a british gas engineer told us our system was has an energy efficiency rating of G/H which goes against everything i have read?? (was he trying to get us to get central heating..?)

i would have thought we could get our 25 year old warm air boiler changed for a modern one for much cheaper?

I am a bit confused why warm air isnt more popular?

Many websites do indeed say that a warm air system is more economical that a wet/radiator system.
    This is my second house with warm air heating, I thought it was great the first time and still do. I think the reason warm air heating isn't used much today is really just down to fashion. There is also a lot of ill-informed heresay about warm air: it makes your house dusty, they spread germs ! All rubbish !
    In fact the new ones can have electro-static filters fitted which will actually remove the dust from your house.

I would agree with your comment about replacing your warm air unit being cheaper to replace than to install a wet system - sounds like someone trying to drum up trade ! I would also say that the annual maintenance costs of a warm air unit would be considerably less than that of an all singing all dancing modern condensing boiler.

Give these people a ring:-
    http://www.johnsonandstarleyltd.co.uk/

They are the main supplier of warm air units in the UK, I've had to get a few bits to put on my system and they are very helpful.

PS: Welcome to MSE !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport