coverheat - full central heating cover

Options
Hi. I've just been on uswitch comparing full central heating cover and coverheat came out as best for us (£150 a year including annual service). However, I have not heard of the company before. Any input would be appreciated. Many thanks.

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I could be wrong but I believe they are just a 'cover' organisation that have local plumbers(as opposed to employees that BG have) on call.

If that is the case it will largely depend on how well your local plumber performs and how he responds to emergency calls.

Most of us have the(expensive) BG Homecare contract as a form of insurance. Many threads on their service, with mixed opinions on their performance. It has always been excellent for me - but others have had the opposite experience.
  • terryba
    Options
    You are correct CoverHeat subcontracts to local agents.

I used uswitch to get a Gas Central Heating Protection Plan at a cost of £150 per year in November 2007 - I am still trying to get CoverHeat to come out and give my Boiler & System its 1st service and check up! So far I have wasted 3 whole days waiting for an engineer to come and do this service. Each time I phone their call centre I am told they have no record of my appoinment, I have also emailed them twice with no response. Beware of this so called service.
  • yes_2_bargains
    Options
    Thank you terryba for the reply. Not good that you're not getting the service you paid for. Definitely thumbs down for this company. To be honest when I posted my query, I also sent coverheat an email asking them to send me list of their local agents so that I can gauge whether I should join them or not. That was in October and I never heard back from them. I then assumed that they are not able to deliver the service in my area, otherwise, they won't have hesitated to reply to my mail. Regards
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    What about using Swintons cover and getting it serviced by a local plumber ? Also covers more than just the boiler.

You can get 25% off the price without too much hasle just ask.

http://www.swinton.co.uk/home/home_emergency/
  • yes_2_bargains
    Options
    Thanks deanos. The only reason I looked at coverheat was because they looked cheaper. But as per previous post, I was dismayed at their lack of response. I assumed they might do the same thing to me when I need the actual work to be carried out. So I took cover with British Gas again. I used quidco so had some cashback so in the end they were cheaper than coverheat. Better service too speaking from xperience. Regards
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    I have had experience in using the Swinton cover, i called them up and the guy came out next day, ordered parts and returned following day to fix, so the service was good :j
  • Belfast_Bunny
    Options
    Hi, This is my first post to the forum but I felt I had to warn anyone who is thinking of using Coverheat - DON'T. They've been nothing but trouble. Even from the word go they couldn't find my details even though I had letters from them confirming my initial appointment. That took about 10 telephone calls to put right. When our boiler broke down, I called to book for an engineer to come round. To cut a very long story short, that was 2 weeks ago and my last telephone conversation with them was pitiful.

No-one ever seems to know what's going on with my account - if they can find it. Any requests for a manager to call back to discuss the problems aren't returned. Generally they don't seem to be the brightest sparks in the pack. One of the manager's I spoke to a while ago wasn't much better. Please don't give yourself the stress.
  • kes007
    Options
    Hi, I too was unlucky and took the policy with annual service out in Nov 07. I finally got an engineer to come out begining of January. The engineer arrived looked around said that the air vent for the back boiler was not installed and aborted the visit. They told me that it will cost a further £75 to solve the air vent issue or I could get it done locally. I got the air vent issue resolved by getting a bigger vent installed and called coverheat they booked another visit. Few days later I get a letter asking me to pay £25.85 for an abortive call out charge, which I questioned but had to call them 3 days running to get them to call me back. Initially they called me back and told me that there had been a mistake and I dont have to pay anything then after 10 minutes they called me back and said as the engineer was rebooked I will have to pay to get the service done.
    What the chap (Clive) at coverheat says is if a "fault" is found on inspection then the service will need to be paid for. Clive claims that this is in the general exclusion section, but when questioned about the sub section I was basically told that I had to read and find it for myself.
    The service is normally £75 but as a favour he could do it for £28 by charging me for a call out.
    I have just asked for the policy to be cancelled and a refund issued

Hope rest have better experience than I did
  • dandmquinn
    Options
    BEWARE,these are a bunch of scammers.I have put 7 of my properties on their so called cover.Nearly 2 months have passed (Whilst I have still been paying!!)and 2 properties have still not been inspected.They have failed to turn up for countless appointments,I have disgruntled tenants,I have made 20-30 'phone calls and have sent emails with no response.Their fax will not accept incoming faxes!!!They are an absolute joke.God help us if we did have a heating problem-the tenants would probably freeze to death.I am going to contact Trading Standards about this bunch.They have cocked-up at every possible chance.:mad: :mad: :mad:
  • wheelie74
    Options
    Can't agree more about them. First appointment they didn't show up so I organised another one. In the meantime my boiler started playing up and the engineers told me it was a common problem that was easily fixed. Two days later and after ringing up coverheat (who didn't know anything) the local firm rang to tell me it was a manufacturer's fault so my policy was invalid (£70 +£15 admin please). Wrote to them to explain that they were a complete shambles and I didn't think they were due more cash but just got a letter spouting terms and conditions, what a joke. Had to reinstate my BG policy for an increased premium, they came out and fixed it no probs. I'm in the doghouse for switching and feel livid. What I want to know is whether I can legally withhold payment after all their !!!!-ups or am I going to have fork out?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure