Five OS Pleasures in your day today

1) Seeing all my homemade preserves lined up on their shelf in the garage. They look as good as a stained glass window.

2) The smell of my laundry as I took it off the line, best smell in the world.

3) Taking a batch of muffins out of the oven.

4) Coming back from Tesco without any extras even though the kids were with me.

5) The appreciative words of thanks from my family as they finished their evening meal.

So come on, what are yours ?
[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• 1. Making a delicious veggie curry for tea.

2. Seeing my chooks run out of their house this morning, pleased to greet the world.

3. DH and DS trying on their HM silk waistcoats for a wedding on Friday.

4. Picking beans, tomatoes, sweetcorn, lettuce, cucumber, onion (red and yellow), shallots, damsons, apples, plums and flowers, fresh from the garden.

5. Watching the Small Penguins careering down a hill in their HM (from scrap wood) go-cart.

And finding that thriflady is my long-lost younger sister ;)

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    THriftlady how do you get your family to say thankyou ;)
    I am not kidding.
    The only OS pleasures I had today were
    1. mending 5 items of clothing
    2. Own chicken's egg for breakfast
    3. Teaching DS to make sushi and him doing it better than me - and he is 7 years old :)
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • Mine were:

1-Not using the TD to dry the washing-put on airer
    2-Made a Shepherds Pie from odds and ends
    3-OH & DD used vouchers for a free lunch and drink (mcdonalds/Starbucks)
    4-Used vinegar solution for splashes on kitchen window
    5-Used spud water to water the plants
    6-Lidls and got whole weeks shop for £18

Im just showing off now...lol

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Sarahsaver wrote: »
    THriftlady how do you get your family to say thankyou ;)
    I am not kidding.
    :)
    Well, it is a very rare occurence which is why I included it. And, we did have chocolate fudge pudding which they love above all things ;)
  • tracyg
    tracyg Posts: 508 Forumite
    1. Drying 3 loads of washing on the line and it smelling fresh and dried for free
    2. Feeding my 10mth old son own made meals from the batch cooking in the freezer
    3. Eating a ready meal type chicken thing for tea as it was yellow stickered cost almost nothing and realised how gross and nasty it was and how OS cooking from scratch is much better
    4. Dropped off a load of old clothes for recycling
    5. Taking some boxes of books to charity shop - not OS really but made me feel good

EDIT to add 6. Meal planned from freezer and cupboard for the week (thankfully all ready made junk has been used up now!)
    Lightbulb moment 15th Feb 2007:doh: Now Debt Free and plan on it staying that way!

Baby on board!:D
  • 1. Only spending 69p cos I made my lunch AND bulk-bought snacks on Sunday.
    2. Eating my yummy veggie stew I froze.
    3. Using Milk of Magnesia as a face mask, not spending £15 on expensive skin care... and seeing that it's done wonders for my oily skin
    4. Using 1/2 the amount of washing powder and putting the machine on 30 degrees
    5. Spending time on here! :rotfl:
    Old-styler, crafter and freebie junkie!
    Frogga's Amazing Weight Loss Campaign: Member no.20 since 2/9/07 -- lost 10lb
    :love:Wedding bells 04/10/08 :love:
  • 1. Going to the city farm for freshly laid eggs.
    2. Having some of the eggs for lunch with freshly made HM bread.
    3. Using my courgette flowers for the first time (stuffed), after seeing
    them selling for 50p each at "Foodies at the Festival" yesterday.
    4. Having a freshly made HM "Best Ever Chocolate Brownies" for dessert.
    5. DS putting some HM strawberry jam into HM yoghurt and saying not to
    bother buying the Yeo valley yoghurts in future he prefers HM!

It would be nice if I could take credit for the above - but most of them come from advice and information I have read on this site. So thanks everyone.
  • emmie1234
    emmie1234 Posts: 237
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'm still getting into it but here goes...

1) Haven't used the tumble dryer, put clothes on the airer
    2) Made menu plan for the week
    3) Went shopping and stuck to list without any extras came in at £35 for the week all in (inc pet foods and cleaning stuff/toiletries)
    4) Bought a pack of minced beef that was on offer, bigger size than I normally buy, but I separated it up into 3 portions and froze two (is this os?) In the "old" days I would have prob used the whole pack and then thrown the leftovers away :eek: Has worked out loads cheaper, shepherds pie, lasagne and spag bol sorted from one pack that was only about 50p more than the size I normally buy and I will be getting 3 meals from it.
    5) Haven't done this today but I've been planning getting some blankets/ thermal curtains and draught excluders together for when the colder weather sets in.

Em
    Marriages are made in heaven, but then again so is thunder and lightning!!!.....getting divorced lol :j

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    Trying to "up" my income and rookie oldstyler
  • shell2001
    shell2001 Posts: 1,817 Forumite
    1. Taking the 2 for £5 chickens and making a roast with it, baguette fillings for us all last night, Coronation chicken for DH and mines lunch, Chicken & Leek pie tonight, enough left to make couple of portions of chicken curry for the freezer. Plus half a pie left for lunches!

2. Making my own pie pastry for a few pennies, with the littles helping.

3. Doing the flylady kitchen task today and knowing the inside of all my kitchen cupboards are as shiny and the outside.

4. Getting a positive comment from DH about his pack up lunch. HM onion and chive rolls with coronation chicken filling.

5. My DD1 saying your the bestest cooker in the whole world - as she takes another bite of the chocolate orange cake we made yesterday- lol
  • astep70uk
    astep70uk Posts: 338 Forumite
    Picking home grown lettuce from the garden - grown by my 5 year old from seed, and lovingly tended by him!

Feeding my 6 month old little girl homemade meals all day, and not resorting to jars of food

My 5 year old asking to make a jug of HM lemonade this morning, rather than the nasty squash in the cupboard (we polished it off by lunchtime though!)

Taking HM apple and raisin flapjack out of the oven

Eating HM beef stew and mash for tea, and saving some for babe tomorrow

Polishing off the last of the HM sultana scones with MILs HM raspberry jam with my coffee this morning

Using microfibre cloths to clean the bathrooms instead of nasty chemicals
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure