MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should Hilary buy Chelsea's fags for her?

Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:
Should Hilary buy Chelsea's fags for her?

Hilary is nipping off to Spain for a long weekend; her daughter Chelsea wants her to buy 40 packets of cigarettes as they're a fraction of the price over there and she'll save serious cash. Yet Hilary hates smoking and especiallyhe fact Chelsea smokes in the house where her 5 year old son (and Hilary's grandson) little Bill lives; however if she doesn't buy them Chelsea will buy them elsewhere and they'll be much more costly.
Enter the Money Moral Maze: Should Hilary buy Chelsea's fags for her?

Previous MMDs: Should Victor use his local pharmacist?, Should Frodo give Sam the money?
threadbanner.gif

Comments

• meerustar
    meerustar Posts: 8,560
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hilary should buy the cigs as Chelsea would buy them anyway ... on the promise that Chelsea doesn't smoke in front of her child and the money saved goes on a day out for him :D
  • stogiebear
    stogiebear Posts: 95 Forumite
    Get her the ciggies... Chelsea won't change her habits because her friend Hilary tried to impose a moral will on her.

I, too, dislike smoking and it makes me sick if I get too close to it. But, hey... a friend is a friend and if she wants to smoke in front of her kid, why not...

It only started being dangerous about 15 years ago!!! Most of us were raised quite healthily in smoke filled houses before these new fangled dangers were invented.

By the way - I don't have friends that smoke. It's a character flaw as far as I'm concerned and I have no interested in druggies, drunks and other wastrels... and that includes smokers.
  • alangent
    alangent Posts: 19 Forumite
    absolutely not. If she wants to smoke buy them herself
  • Lard_3
    Lard_3 Posts: 3 Newbie
    No dilema here at all. Fags are cheaper abroad as they dont have so much tax added. If we all buy fags from abroad the chancellor will have to get the money from somewhere else. So everybody will pay more tax. I'm happy that smokers pay so much, in fact the amount of fags that can be brought in from abroad should be restricted so they have to pay more. The places they can smoke now are being restricted, they are hounded from every angle to give up, but at what price to the rest of us? Let them smoke themselves to death while they keep paying all that tax.
  • arthur_dent_2
    arthur_dent_2 Posts: 1,913 Forumite
    She should buy as many as she legally can. Smokers are very heavily taxed by this government and if they can get away with paying a bit less every now and then why not. Any moral objection isn't really relevant as she would do it with or without the cheap fags.

I am a non smoker.
    Loving the dtd thread. x
  • penny.wright
    penny.wright Posts: 11 Forumite
    No, she shouldn't buy cigarettes for friends or relatives, and her daughter shouldn't expose her child to 'passive smoking' which does damage health.

In towns near Dover most cigarettes are bought abroad. A friend said she wouldn't smoke if she couldn't buy the cheaper ones - she was probably deluding herself, though.
  • wildchild
    wildchild Posts: 35
    Forumite
    No Hilary shouldn't buy Chelsea the ciggies - that would be condoning the smoking and that's the only thing Chelsea would latch on to and register. I agree that smokers should keep paying the taxes over here, and maybe, just maybe, the extra cost will make her start thinking about cutting down (preferably in front of the child will be first to go), but I have no objection to her smoking herself to death - it's her life so her right and her choice, just as long as she doesn't do it near me!
  • joannie
    joannie Posts: 45 Forumite
    I have been in this situation and refused to buy cigarettes. She should absolutely refuse too.
  • Let's face it, having 40 packets on tap will result in her smoking more, whereas cost is a limiting factor in this country. So they wouldn't work out that much cheaper anyway.
    I would NOT enable her addiction by buying them.
  • Beate
    Beate Posts: 3,522
    Forumite
    I hate cigarettes and what they do to people so if someone asked me to buy them some, I would absolutely refuse to do so. I do not have to fuel other people's addictions, and I don't care whether Chelsea would have to buy them more expensive elsewhere. To be honest, they should pay as much as possible for their filthy habit. If Hilary thinks that smoking is wrong the only morally right thing to do is to refuse.
    Reclaimed thanks to this site:
    £175 Abbey Mortgage Repayment Fee, £170.03 Capital One Bank Charges £418.07 Lloyds TSB Bank Charges, £2,671.55 Mis-sold Endowment Policy, all for OH
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure