MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should Harry pay Ron’s speeding fine?

MSE_Martin
MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Money Saving Expert
Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:
Should Harry pay Ron’s speeding fine?

Harry's jetting off on holiday on a 5am flight. To help him out, Harry’s friend Ron kindly agrees to drive him to the airport. Yet, Harry wanted a lie-in, so they’re running late and cutting it fine. En-route Ron is caught speeding by a camera; he gets three penalty points and a £60 fine. Ron argues Harry should pay, because if he wasn’t doing him a favour he wouldn’t have got the fine.
Enter the Money Moral Maze: Should Harry pay Ron’s speeding fine?

Previous MMDs: Should Scott take Charlene's ad? and Should Carol take Sharon on?

threadbanner.gif
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Comments

• Well,

If it was me, not Ron, I wouldn't ask Harry to pay anything. It was my own fault.

If it was me not Harry, I would pay Ron £60 for so many reasons:

1. It's me! Who don't like getting people into trouble because of me! Enough he has got 2 points.
    2. This will teach me to hire a taxi next time.
    3. For Godness sake, I am flying so early and poor friend agreed to do me that huge favour instead of saying no and enjoying his sleep!

Since Harry is not me, he should pay half of it!!! That's what I call ''Sharing'' as a friend!! And would advise Ron to respect the speed limit in the future, because it is there for a reason!

I am totally against speeding behaviour, especially in 30 and 40 mph areas

Thunderbird
    Be nice, life is too short to be anything else.
  • emily_jackson
    emily_jackson Posts: 1,695
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    i wonder if ron was speeding because they were running late or because he always drives too fast?
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272
    Money Saving Expert
    Just a quick note - i've tweaked the dilemma slightly - so the two posters above were reading something slightly different :)
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • 123xyz
    123xyz Posts: 436
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Yes, Harry should pay the fine. If he was late, he was encouraging Ron to speed so it is his fault. Perhaps he should contribute to Ron's increased insurance premiums too!
    Just off the border of your waking mind, there lies another time ....
  • Pound
    Pound Posts: 2,784
    Forumite
    Maybe Ron could use the 'doing Harry a favour' excuse with the police, see what they make of it. :rolleyes:
  • lellie
    lellie Posts: 1,489 Forumite
    I think harry should pay - Ron will already be taking the rap with the 3 penalty points - so they should split the problem between them.
  • machtzu
    machtzu Posts: 73 Forumite
    Yes, its only £60 anyway. Also if possible Harry should try to take the points too, think Quantum States if he wasn't doing a favour he wouldn't have got caught.
    JB MIEEE MIET
  • lellie wrote: »
    I think harry should pay - Ron will already be taking the rap with the 3 penalty points - so they should split the problem between them.

Me too - sounds about right :D

IW x
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 222 :beer:
    :T Debt free wannabe - Proud to be dealing with my debts! :T

Remember the MoneySaving mantras!

IF YOU'RE SKINT......
    Do I need it? Can I afford it? Can I find it cheaper anywhere else?

IF YOU'RE NOT SKINT......
    Will I use it? Is it worth it? Can I find it cheaper anywhere else?
  • After eading the ''tweaked'' version, The answer is definately he should pay.
    Be nice, life is too short to be anything else.
  • The problem with speeding fines these days is that the first £60 is only the start of it. Getting 3 points on his license will increase Ron's insurance premium each year by around £50 for the next 5 years, if my experience is anything to go by after one flash in October 2003.

In the good old days when few people received SP30s, my insurance company was more than happy to ignore the first 3 or even 6 points but these days they are as keen to apply punitive taxes as Gordon Brown.

I agree that if Harry urges Ron to drive above the speed limit to make up for his lie in bed, he is morally obliged to take responsibility of the consequences of his action. In the same way, if Ron's car runs out of fuel on the way to the airport and Harry misses his flight, Ron has a moral obligation to contribute to Harry's next flight
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure