We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

ooops i've done it again.....more chickens...

Options
yep... after saying no more chickens......and just having just the one left...( was thinking of finding her a new home,so she wouldnt be on her own)

i done it again.....i got more chickens today :D

i must admit...... i do love having chickens.....

we got 2 x 10 week old bantam crosses and 2 pekin chicks.....

i must admit i think every household with a garden should have chickens..... great for recycling surplus food.... manure for the compost heap......great for keeping the veg patch free of weeds etc... in the winter.....etc....

plus those lovely eggs that.....even the so called free range organic eggs you get in supermarkets/ shops dont come near the quality /taste and colour of your own eggs....

where we got the 2 x bantams from... the lady had 2 goats and a sheep in her back garden....:eek:

anyone else got chickens in their gardens?
Work to live= not live to work

Comments

• Jayar
    Jayar Posts: 735 Forumite
    Options
    No I don't, but I remember the taste of those eggs. You're right, nothing you can buy in the shops can compare.
    A friend is someone who overlooks your broken fence and admires the flowers in your garden.
  • squiggle37
    squiggle37 Posts: 794 Forumite
    Options
    My ex's dad keeps chicks, only one thing i miss about that family was the yummy eggs tried every sort of egg in tesco and nothing compares to them, but at least i get points with me eggs now not grief lol
  • Noozan
    Noozan Posts: 1,058 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I recently added two black rocks to my chicken run :D I also have en ex battery hen and a light sussex. They have such great characters, don't they?
    I have the mind of a criminal genius. I keep it in the freezer next to Mother....
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    COOLTRIKERCHICK Posts: 10,510 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    yep they certainly have a personality......

and ducks..... our last duck died a few months ago.....

so then we moved the chicken to the back garden rather than the waste ground by the side of the house......so a smaller run... and now they cant get out to scratch my garden.....

i am really excited with my little pekins.....we used to have a little white pekin cockerel.. he was soooooo cute......

so i think these 2 we had to day are females but not def....

they are wheatens... i think thats what they call the colour...
    Work to live= not live to work
  • troll35
    troll35 Posts: 712 Forumite
    Options
    I would love a few hens but we have a clause in our house deeds which states we are not allowed to keep any animals (it names hens, goats, pigeons and a few others) except household pets.
    I like to live in cloud cuckoo land :hello:
  • scubaleopard
    Options
    We loved our chickens but the 1 night we forgot to shut them in Brer Fox came prowling and killed all 12--- we were broken hearted and couldnt face replacing them. We have so missed the eggs
  • just-saving
    Options
    We haven't got chickens in our garden yet but we will have very soon!

A few months ago we decided we would like to keep chickens but as our wall blew down in the February winds and is only just being erected now we haven't been able to get any as of yet. However, we have been doing our research and are about to build a house for 3 POL chickens. We are going to the Salisbury Poultry Auction this coming Saturday just to have a nose around for ideas on breeds etc. Very much looking forward to having pet chickens who give us fresh eggs. I'm soooo excited!
    Single, free and young (ish) :heartpuls
  • *zippy*
    *zippy* Posts: 2,979 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We got ours a year ago and have become very attached to them, We have a pekin who is a sweetie, two bantam crosses, a silkie and a araucana she lays lovely blue eggs. We keep them free range and they are fed as organically as we can.

As we had them young they only started laying Christmas week, we have been getting 15 eggs a week since, but this week perhaps because of the great weather they are really laying well.
  • susy_2
    susy_2 Posts: 467 Forumite
    Options
    I've had most domestic animals over the years, but I always wanted to have chickens (and goats) lol. But alas, I only have a tiny garden :D
  • Honeydog
    Honeydog Posts: 877 Forumite
    Options
    Yes - we've got 8 purebred chickens. Welsummers and Marans. The eggs are beautiful and chickens have loads of personality. There's nothing like going down to the shed and bringing a still warm egg back up to the house for your breakfast!

They are so funny when they run too! And they always hang around your feet - when you're weeding the garden - looking for stray worms. Then one chicken gets a worm and instead of eating it quietly it runs around squawking and then all the others chase it and try to pinch its worm :) Comedy!

You don't need a huge garden susy - there are some chicken houses called arcs which are sort of toblerone shaped.
    Don't grow up. Its a trap!

Peace, love and labradors!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family