PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

recipe book recommendations please

Options
anyone got any recomendations for me for simple receipes? I know i could go online but my printer is a bit rubbish and i don't currently have broadband so would be easier to get a book [plus i like books :D]

thanks very much!
:rotfl:five children? I must be mad........ :rotfl:
aug grocery spend - £166.45

Comments

• moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    One I use all the time and is falling apart through overuse is "The Cost Conscious Cook" by Maggie Brogan.

It's so easy to use, the recipes are all very simple and cheap to cook. I think I paid a fiver for it new and it's worth it's weight in gold.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    "Real Fast Food" by Nigel Slater is a book I've borrowed from the library several times. Have just got it with seven other cookery books (including Real Fast Puddings) for £10 + p&p from TheBookPeople.

I also like How to Eat by Nigella and Delia's Cookery Course from the 70s or 80s.

Problem is I read these books and then just cook the same stuff I've always cooked! In fact I think I like books that use the same recipes I've always used - as soon as I see words like half an inch of lemon grass, I'm off!
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I love "The Paupers Cookbook" by Joanna Innes and "The Goode Cookbook" by Shirley Goode as they are simple and not fiddly or expensive. They also have good tips like buying a whole chicken and then jointing it yourself as it is much cheaper that way.:):)
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • moggins
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    elona wrote:
    I love "The Paupers Cookbook" by Joanna Innes

So do I but it looks like I have mistakenly thrown away my copy with the 11 carrier bags full that I got rid of this weekend :(

I still have the new revised edition but it's nowhere near as good in my opinion, especially after she took out the programmed eating section.

• filigree_2
    filigree_2 Posts: 1,025 Forumite
    Options
  • catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    My favourite is the Good Housekeeping cook book I have had my original copy in regular use for 29 years now and it is falling to bits! I prefer the older edition and managed to replace it at a car boot sale last year for 50p! Roll on Car Boot sale season!
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • crana999
    crana999 Posts: 573 Forumite
    Options
    You could try using your library then perhaps buying your own copy of a book you really like from there..?
  • swampytiggaa
    Options
    crana999 wrote:
    You could try using your library then perhaps buying your own copy of a book you really like from there..?
    have tried my library but it is total pants when it comes to cook books.......

have just ordered the cost conscious cook and real fast food for about £1 each on amazon.... saves me trecking into town and getting sidelined by the bookshops i suppose ;)

thanks everyone
    :rotfl:five children? I must be mad........ :rotfl:
    aug grocery spend - £166.45
  • hilstep2000
    hilstep2000 Posts: 3,089 Forumite
    Options
    I've got 3 I use all the time. 'Delia's Complete Cookery Course' (all the basics, plus some) , 'How to feed your family for £5 1 day' by Berndine Lawrence, and 'Bubble and Squeak, the leftover cookbook' by Jan Arkless.
    I think the second two are out of print, but you could get the library to find you copies!
    I Believe in saving money!!!:T
    A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

• moggins
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The Bubble and Squeak one is good too, I don't use it as often as I should though.

I have to admit to being a cookbookaholic! I have about 80 now, I must try and have a clear out as I only use about 6 regularly, most of the time I am experimenting with concoctions of my own.

I picked up a copy of The Austerity Cookbook at a car boot sale yesterday for 10p, there's some good ones in there too.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family