Anyone else giving up smoking?

Hi,
Yet again I am giving up smoking and have started today. I'm feeling OK so far but know worse is to come.
Does anyone have any ideas about not giving in due to boredom/cravings/habit? I'm going to try not to use patches as I am trying to save cash as well as myself!!
Anyone else in the same boat?

threadbanner.gif

Comments

• jellyang
    jellyang Posts: 117 Forumite
    Yes I am giving up next week.
    I gave up earlier in the year but fell off the wagon :mad:

I have taken delivery of the new Paul McKenna 'quit smoking 'book/DVD
    I have also bought a packet of inhalors from boots, they do contain nicotine but are not as expensive as the patches. Freinds have said it helped them, more for doing something with your hands than the nicotine.

I have gone cold turkey before & it is hard.

This is my fourth serious attempt , I will crack it sooner or later :rolleyes:

Jelly
    :D
  • jellyang
    Just wondered if you have gone to one of the web sites where you can download a meter. It calculates how much money you have saved & how many ciggies you have not smoked. It is good for motivation.
    pm me if you would like the addy.

Jelly
    :D
  • WelshWoofer
    WelshWoofer Posts: 5,076 Forumite
    It's my third go too! Stupidly I gave up for over a year about a year ago and then caved in during a time of extreme stress (OH had operation). It's been on and off ever since but I want to give up all together again. I currently smoke about 6 or 7 a day (sometime less) so I'm not a really heavy smoker but really want to be smoke free and a bit richer!!!
    Good luck to you too
  • can you post a link for the site? Seriously thinking about it as I have a dire cold so cant smoke & realised over Christmas how disgusting smoking is! Cant you get patches etc on prescription?
    Heres some sites that may help!
    http://www.excite.co.uk/directory/Health/Support_Groups/Smoking_Cessation
    I my join you but regardless this comes with big hugs!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• I started cutting down before Christmas and have got from 40 a day to 10. It should be 5 or 6 by next Friday and my plan is to be down to zero and stable by the time we move into our new house at the end of January. I've tried and failed quitting cold turkey and with NRT, but this approach seems to be working for me so far.

What p***ed me of was that when I searched for websites offering advice on cutting down, tips etc, I couldn't find any because the results were swamped by the hysterical "cutting down is no good, you've got to quit, won't somebody think of the children?!!!!!!!!" rantings of the extremely well paid professional anti-smoking lobby.:mad:
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Trying to, haven't had one day fully cigarette free yet but sometimes just a few puffs from one in a day so am doing much better. Determined to try better after New Year, probably picked the worse time to start in December but figure if I can do this well with the Christmas stress I can do it any time :)

My vitally important things to me I did were -

Cutting out the early morning one
    Making myself stand in rain with no coat if I light one
    Doing something else when I have my other routine ones (on way back from dropping kids off etc)
    Something to twiddle with
    If I get the urge at bedtime I go to bed earlier lol
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • i gave up in march, never wanted to, wakin up in intensive care with pneumonia not good so had too. a close friend died a few weeks ago an i stupidly had a couple, now back to 10 a day, im devastated, cant believe im puttin my health at risk again. so come jan 1st im off them, i dont drink alcohol either so im a cheap date!!
    Married my amazing hubby on 8th September 2012 :j:j
  • jellyang
    This is my first attempt at a link so fingers crossed

https://www.stopsmokingcenter.net/Default.aspx
  • .ner needs to change to .net but other than that you got the link spot on cheers will show the OH!
    "You have succeeded in life when all you really want is only what you really need"
    live simply so that others may simply live
  • smog_2
    smog_2 Posts: 120 Forumite
    Hey guys

I quit a couple of years ago and found this meter really really helpful.

It tells you amount of money and life saved according to how musch you smoked.

http://www.silkquit.org/sqmmiv/meter.aspx

Every time I caved and had to fill it in I felt terrible about myself - it was a real incentive to carry on.

My big tip would be every time you feel like you are absolutely desperate for a ciggie tell yourself you'll wait 5 mins and see how you feel then. Then distract yourself (run a bath, clean, start cooking dinner). My cravings would always pass.

All the best

You can do it

And you'll feel amazing for it

xxxx:beer: :T :A
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business