Firefox "V" IE

Options
rushnowt
rushnowt Posts: 24,749 Forumite
Hi

I need some help and advice, Im currently using IE but have heard people raving about Firefox, ive found this site http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ where it says theres a free download.

Firstly is this the full version, and can i just do that, i have windows xp pro, but im worried that if i just download this it might c0ck up my system and i wont be able to remove ?

Ive also heard that you cant access some sites using Firefox ? is this true and if so is there anything i can do about that ?

If i did download it, would it then remove all traces of IE or do they both sit on your system so you can alternate between the two.

Sorry, so many questions, from a technophobe :(

Thanks in advance

Debs x
Nobody can make you feel inferior, without your permission ;)

Love doesn't make the world go round, it's what makes the ride worthwhile

ya still freezing :p

Comments

• Howells
    Howells Posts: 65 Forumite
    Options
    There is only one version which is the full version and it is completely free:D.

It shouldn't mess up your system (I have installed it twice at work (Win2000) and at home (WinXP) with complete success). It has a proper install so you should be able to remove it like any other program.

The only time it touches IE is to import your current IE settings which is really easy to do. IE and Firefox can sit on the same machine and both work independently.

There are some sites that don't work on Firefox but you can download an 'extension' called 'IEView' which adds an extra menu item on the context menu (right mouse click). This allows you to right click on a page and select 'View this page in IE' and up comes the page in IE. Really simple.

There are also loads of other extensions that makes Firefox my browser of choice. My current favourite is 'Adblock' which can remove adverts from pages really easily.

I say go for it!
  • Talon_Karrde
    Options
    I too say go for it....TAKE BACK THE WEB!!
    I have not come across a page that doesn't load with firefox. Even NatWests page, which used to be only IE compatiable works now.

As above, please make sure you rad up on and use the extensions!!
    Talon "Ace" Karrde
    the more i see, the more i know, the more i know, the less i understand
  • sra
    sra Posts: 4,678 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Firefox is completely free for the full version and it sits happily on your system completely seperate from IE.

When you first install it, it asks if you want it to be your default browser. If you pick no to that, then you won't heare a peep out of it unless you click the firefox icon. Everyone can use Internet Explorer as their browser and you can take or leave firefox.

There is a small plugin called ieview that I'd recommend you get right away. This puts a little option in your right-click menu that says "view this page in IE". This means that when you come accross a page that doesn't work, you just click this and the page you want opens up in Internet Explorer right away without you having to cut and paste the address.

I could rave about firefox's benefits all day but the best thing to do is just to try it - as I said - as long as you don't pick it as your default browser, you won't have to worry about it taking over.
  • peter_the_planter
    Options
    The only time I use I.E is to get the autoupdates, the rest of the time we use F.F.Even the wife can use it(oops non pc comment). Its nicer to look at than the boring microsoft offering.
    Down south where, unfortunately, the government does remember us.
  • sra
    Options
    Here's a few quick screenshots to try to convince all you IE holdouts (press f11 to see fullscreen)

Tabbed Browsing - Here, I've middle-clicked (with the mouse wheel) the 4 new posts and they've loaded up in the background ready to read one after the other

I have the mse buddy list bookmarked and made it so that when I click it, it opens in a sidebar - even when I'm not on mse (but I've stopped you seeing who's on my list:D)

Rss feed - A 'live' bookmark showing the latest threads to be posted in the Arms (it constantly updates itself)

One of the hundred of plugins. This one gives you a notepad in the sidebar

You'll also see from the screenshots that I have a folder called mse under the address bar. This contains my 6 fav mse boards - middle-clicking it makes them load simultaneously int tabs ready to read.
  • JasonW_2
    JasonW_2 Posts: 705 Forumite
    Options
    I use firefox for 99% of my browsing, but there are just some sites that dont work on it correctly, and some not at all. The one that springs to mind is Powerhouse website.

I love how I can block all ads and flash on a page unless I want to see it :)

Blocks popups and it actually works, but can let temp popups for sites allowed

The only thing that annoys me, is when typing the cursor is FAR too close to the last character just types. Letters like f, j, i, l, t just disappear and is a pain to type replies without adding an extra space first, backspacing then typing :mad:

JW
  • shrek101
    shrek101 Posts: 2,249 Forumite
    Options
    Yeah as said its free, go for it. Once you get use to it you wouldn't go back to IE. There's a wealth of add-ons (extensions) and themes to give it a refreshing look. You can also get a spell checker useful for forums.

http://spellbound.sourceforge.net/

No longer a user, goodbye folks. PLEASE delete my account. Thank you
  • blinky
    blinky Posts: 1,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I use both. Some sites don't work in Firefox (grr) and other don't appear the same. On the upside the Javascript debugging tools are much better in Firefox.

Tabbed browsing takes a little getting used to but it's useful and is supposed to be in IE7 which is due in the summer.
    Hug provider for depression thread :grouphug:
    "I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell.." - Unwell by Matchbox Twenty
  • Talon_Karrde
    Talon_Karrde Posts: 143 Forumite
    Options
    sra555,

how do you add threads/forums to an RSS feed? I can't find any RSS logo on the site??

cheers
    Talon "Ace" Karrde
    the more i see, the more i know, the more i know, the less i understand
  • sra
    Options
    It tells you about RSS here in the faqs

All forums:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/external.html?type=rss2

Techie Forum:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/external.html?type=rss2&forumids=29

In firefox go to manage bookmarks then File/new live bookmarks you can enter the above address

or you can get this extention then all you have to do is right-click the above links and use the Add Live Bookmark option

Last time I looked there was an error with some feeds - Whenever a poster had put 2 spaces in the title to a thread, the whole feed for that forum would not work.

I'll see if I have a chance today or tomorrow to list the rss address for all the forums then all you have to do is copy the address. (or right-click it if you get the above extention)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure