PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Batch cooking ideas please

Options
I am due to go back to work full time in September and am not looking forward to it at all.

I am looking for recipes that I can batchcook and freeze to make my life simpler.

I have a 5 month old and a 2 year old I would prefer to spend my time with after work so any ideas are much appreciated.

Along with adult meals am making stuff for the baby too.

Think I have a big task ahead of me but it will be worth it if I can spend more time whith the kids when I get home.

Thanks in advance:T

Teresa
Although I get lonely :shocked: as a single mother there are always two smiling angels ready to give me the biggest hug in the world. Love you babies :grouphug:

Fear is a disease....Hope is it's only cure!

Comments

• marklefty
    marklefty Posts: 84 Forumite
    Options
    I read a book which included the subject of batch freezing it suggested
    1) Cooking a whole batch of minced beef with onions for use with sheppards pie, spag bog chilli con carni. (we buy minced beef from the local butcher in 10 Lbs for about £14.00 and bag of onions from the market for a fiver)

2)Stewing steak and onions for curries and stews etc again stewing beef from the butcher about the same price as the mince.

3)Making two or three cakes in the same oven

Also when cooking a meal make twice the amount and freeze the rest

hope this helps
  • Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Here's a few main courses, all will freeze well and all using mince:
    Lasagne
    Meatballs
    Homemade burgers
    Chilli con carne
    Bolognese sauce

A couple more for the heck of it:
    Chicken in a creamy mushroom sauce
    Chicken schnitzels

Side dishes:
    Home made chips part cooked
    Mashed potato with cheese

Baked goods:
    Muffins
    Scones
    Pancakes (remember to put greaseproof paper between)

Something I always do when I do the batch cooking is when we eat one of those meals it tends to be accompanied by fresh pasta (only a four minute cook) and fresh steamed veggies (cut up veggies quick, pop into microwavable bowl with 3 tbsp water, cover, on high for 5 mins). Speedy meals ;)
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • Topher
    Topher Posts: 640 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    When we batch Bake/cook, we buy two or three chickens to roast, then section them up and bag them, we make litres of a tomato sauce (fried onions, tinned tomatoes, tomato puree some sugar, passata if you have it.) litres of curry base (takes hours to cook down so really handy to have as a meal starter.) Chicken stock (from the roasted bones & bits) All are divided into our family sized portions, bagged, frozen in boxes which are later removed leaving handy rectangular shaped frozen meal starters.
    We use these as bases for many meals to come, rather than cook complete meals to freeze. It really takes the sting out of having to cook from scratch after a hard day's work, and we found we didn't always want to have a fully prepped meal from the freezer.
    Rectangular sponge cakes, plain & chocolate are reasonabley versatile pudding bases too.
    T.
  • Eels100
    Eels100 Posts: 984 Forumite
    Options
    Soup soup soup ...
    The easiest one being:
    Lightly fry some onions (don't stint, the more the better), add some chopped carrots for colour, and then chuck in some chopped potatoes OR some lentils. Add loads of seasoning (I prefer just salt and LOADS of pepper) and simmer for ages. Then whizz if you prefer smooth. No stock, ultra-healthy, cheap as chips and freezes really well.

Also, lasagne/bolognese/chilli/mince freezes well, and various stews/curries/goulash etc etc. Limitless!
  • Bunnie1982
    Options
    We are trying to cut down on the amount we spend on shopping, it's usually between £20-£25 a week for 2 of us which I know is reasonably good already.

I was wondering what other meals I can batch cook to last us a few days?

I can only seem to make spaghetti bolognaise, stews and soups last
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I always cook two shepherds pies at a time and freeze one (bulk it out with lots of veg too).

I do the same with lasage. Cooked a s/pie last night for tea and put a lasagne in the oven at the same time to freeze. Used the same meat sauce.

When we eat the lasagne there's always enough left to reheat for the following night for tea.
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • CarolnMalky
    CarolnMalky Posts: 14,254 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Chili Con Carne is a good one too...we make a vat of that and freeze it in batches and keep some for lunches/dinners.
    If you obey all the rules...you miss all the fun!! Katherine Hepburn
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    These might help:-

Batch cooking ideas please

Batch cooking tips

Once a month cooking

Once a month cooking (freezer cooking)

And you'll also find help in the Cooking section of the MEGA Index sticky at the top of the forum listing.

:)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Bunnie1982
    Options
    Thank you all, that has helped me loads
  • tr3mor
    tr3mor Posts: 2,325 Forumite
    Options
    Chilis, currys, anything really. If Mr T's can sell frozen meal X then you can make yourself X and freeze it! ;)

If you're ambitious you can plate up whole roast dinners and freeze them, best to let them defrost slowly before microwaving them though!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure