PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What foods can/can't you freeze?

Options
Kelinik
Kelinik Posts: 3,319 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 27 September 2011 at 5:46PM in Old style MoneySaving
I'm new here and on the DFW forums and am just trying to get my head round things so sorry if I ask daft questions. :o

I'm focusing on my food shopping, because it is ridiculously high at the moment, and have questions about cooking bulk meals to go in the freezer. My Mum was always very cautious of freezing things when I was growing up so I don't know what foods actually are safe to freeze and which ones she was right about. For example she'd never, ever freeze fresh fruit which is now something I do all the time!

So when cooking meals what shouldn't/can't be frozen? For example cooked sausages? Ratatouille? Fish dishes? In the past when I've made meals from scratch I've only ever made enought for that night so basically I need to know which of the things I already know how to make can be doubled up and start to fill up my (empty) freezer. :)

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
:heart2: Mumma to DD 13yrs, DD 11yrs & DS 3 yrs. :heart2:

Comments

• wigginsmum
    wigginsmum Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    Options
    Cooked sausages would be fine as long as you thoroughly reheat them. Ratatouille should be fine (it's not so different from pasta sauce); certain soft fruit like strawberries would go mushy.

Casseroles, stews, curries, pies, soup all freeze well. I wouldn't personally freeze stirfry as I don't find it turns out so well; instead I chop leftover meat and add that to stirfry that I'm making fresh.
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
  • chatta
    chatta Posts: 3,392 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Things that contain a lot of water dont freeze well if you want them to look the same when you defrost them. Doesnt mean you cant freeze them though.
  • newleaf
    newleaf Posts: 3,132 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I find most things can be frozen as long as they are fresh (ie not past use by date) and properly sealed. If you think about the things you see in the freezer at the supermarket, that will give you a good idea. Then there are a few other things you might not think of, like milk and cream, cheese, loaves of bread. If something isn't suitable for freezing it will say so on the package (sometimes things have been previously frozen and you can't then re-freeze). You must defrost carefully (slowly is best) and then reheat things thoroughly until piping hot to avoid any unpleasant tummy troubles.
    Official DFW Nerd No 096 - Proud to have dealt with my debt!
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Hi Kel....I freeze all bread bar the first few slices, takes more than a week to get thru one loaf, so take out slice at a time and either leave in the fridge part or put straight into the toaster. No more mouldy bread.
  • chatta
    chatta Posts: 3,392 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I freeze semi skimmed milk. Be warned though the fat is the last bit to freeze so when you take it out it is usually bright orange, dont worry this is fat that will mix back in as it defrosts, ends up white again when fully defrosted.
  • jayarr_2
    jayarr_2 Posts: 182 Forumite
    Options
    something i've been womndering about is cooked meats-bernard matthews meats say that theyre suitable for freezing, asda's own dont..are asda's just being overcautious or do BM's do something dofferen to theirs..?
    Budget for Jan/Feb £240 per 4 weeks
    Week 1-£52 :rolleyes: Week 2-£75 :eek:
    Week 3-£60.66 :confused:Week 4-£29.98 Total=£217.58
    w/c 18th Feb: £6.50
  • katiepoppycat
    katiepoppycat Posts: 1,669 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    asda's cooked meats are made by all different manufacturers, some of whom use frozen meat way back in the supply chain. If it's says suitable for freezing, it is. However, just because soemthings been frozen before IN THE SUPPLY CHAIN doesn't mean it's not safe to freeze at home - most bacon has to be frozen in order to slice the damned stuff!
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Kelinik,

Most things can be frozen as long as they haven't been previously frozen. If meat has been frozen raw, you can change it's state (ie cook it) and refreeze it once. As others have said, some things with a high water content, just don't freeze well.

These older threads might help you:

Once a month cooking (freezer cooking)

Cooking for the freezer... Help!

Meals for freezer

quick and easy freezer meals

Pink
  • bulchy
    bulchy Posts: 955 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I freeze just about everything, you ask my daughter. I got 3 punnets of raspberries on friday for £1, it was the end of the day and greengrocer obviously needed to get rid, we had half with cream for pudding that night, and I decided to freeze the rest to use in apple and raspberry crumble later on. DD remarked that I freeze everything these days :rotfl:
    If you freeze cream, remember to whip it first, it will usually tell you to do this on the carton, but last time I bought cream in bulk, reduced to 12p a carton, the woops ticket was covering this info, and it was so long ago since I had froze cream myself that I had forgot, so it ended up being thrown away :rolleyes:
    You can prepare pies, but dont bake them, put them in the freezer then there ready to put in oven when you need them.
    I even freeze any rice that we have left over when we have curries, just make sure its cooled thoroughly first, I always seem to have a single portion of rice in the freezer, it comes in handy.
    I also freeze cooked meat, like turkey etc, if I think we're not going to be able to use it all up. At easter we had turkey for dinner, I used the leftover meat for curry next day, and froze the rest, ready sliced, made a delicious casserole with it a few weeks ago.
    After reading through this reply,my daughters right, I do freeze everything ;)
    Oh and I also clean everything with stardrops, just ask her :rotfl:
    Sue
  • anniecave
    anniecave Posts: 2,443 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've tried freezing ham before, but if it's got added water in it tends to be a bit soggy after defrosting. I freeze quite a lot of things, you just have to remember not not to freeze raw meat that has already been frozen and defrosted - like chicken or prawns. That would be asking for food poisoning. Be careful when reheating rice after freezing as well, reheated but not properly cooked rice is even more asking for food poisoning.
    Indecision is the key to flexibility :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport