NEW ICICI Feedback Poll - Are the problems all cleared up?

Options
MSE_Martin
MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
What's this all about?

ICICI Banks's HiSave* account is (at the time of writing) the top rated instant access bank account on the market paying 5.15% interest, though please see the Top Paying Instant Access Savings Accounts article for more details.

Why do a poll?

When the account launched there were hideous delays for people attempting to open one, so much so I suspended its MoneySavingExpert mention. Yet soon afterwards things started to get better.

The idea of the poll is to see now - roughly a year on - whether all problems have improved.

Past polls

This poll was first conducted on account opening, giving pretty terrible results - however a follow-up poll conducted a few months afterwards showed good signs of improvement (see here), with the general feedback saying that the process had been smooth and quick (50%, exclusing those who had just applied) or it had gone through with some small time delay or hassle (20%), with only 15% of people saying that the application had been a nightmare.

If you have attempted to set one of these up since, please vote in the poll, and let me know how it went.

Thanks for your help

Martin

threadbanner.gif

* These are ‘affiliated links’ which invisibly take you via commercial price comparison services which then pay this site per click You shouldn’t notice any difference, the links don’t impact the product at all and the editorial line (the things I write) is NEVER impacted by the revenue.

If it isn’t possible to get an affiliate link for the best product, it is still recommended and still included. To get the same without an affiliate link go to icicibank.co.uk . Click on the following link for more details on this site’s
ethical financial stance
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

If you've applied to ICICI please give feedback on your experience 349 votes

Applied recently: Opened smoothly, runs smoothly
39% 137 votes
Applied recently: Problems opening, runs smoothly now
2% 10 votes
Applied recently: Opened smoothly, problems running account
3% 12 votes
Applied recently: Nightmare all round
6% 24 votes
Applied early: Opened smoothly, runs smoothly
24% 84 votes
Applied early: Problems opening, runs smoothly now
7% 27 votes
Applied early: Opened smoothly, problems running account
2% 8 votes
Applied early: Nightmare all round
4% 17 votes
Only just applied
8% 30 votes

Comments

• F_T_Buyer
    F_T_Buyer Posts: 1,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have only ever had one problem with ICICI, in that I instructed ICICI (via the website) to take a large amount of cash from my linked account. Waited about a week and nothing happened, had to phone, e-mail and the like and was told to do it again.

But as this transfer still showed as active I refused to enter it again, because if both had gone through I would have been gone massively overdrawn. It took about a month to sort it, had to send screen shots etc. Eventually the cancelled the order.

From now on, I don't use the website to transfer money into that account. I just send it from my linked account instead. Runs fine.
  • misskool
    misskool Posts: 12,832 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Haven't had any problems yet, still waiting for one apprehensively.

Edit: Although it annoys me how their website if often down for maintanence!!
  • Elmer_Dudd
    Elmer_Dudd Posts: 201 Forumite
    Options
    Had loads of problems opening and running the account.
    No matter how many phone calls, emails and letters I write I get no sense out of them.:eek:
    Even letters to CEO :mad: have gone unanswered about unauthorised direct debits mess.
    Stayed with ING even though they have lower rate as they seem more reliable.
    Only leave a tiny amount with ICICI that they cannot muck up!
    Bye
    Elmer:cool:
  • RightRevBod
    RightRevBod Posts: 598 Forumite
    Options
    My wife and myself both opened accounts last month. Mine opened without any problems (that I know of). When they sent the pin notification to my wife, they had forgotten to replace the ribbon in the printer (or some such problem) because no digits were visible.

The only other thing is that there seems to be a day of so longer delay than other banks before the money is visible in your account fter a deposit.
    [size=-2] If this post was unhelpful, please tell me.
    If it was helpful, please tell everyone - Press the [highlight]Thanks[/highlight] button!
    [/size]
  • chedburgh
    chedburgh Posts: 42 Forumite
    Options
    I had no problems opening an account. I had received the password and was up and running in around 2 and a half weeks, i was expecting to wait much longer.

Cheers
  • MoJo
    MoJo Posts: 542 Forumite
    Options
    Opened with no problems, and no problems since. Had to contact them a couple of times with queries and got timely, sensible replies. The only thing was I didn't realise I had to go back to the site to pick up my reply the first time, and thought they were ignoring me D'oh!
  • hollybank_2
    Options
    No problems except when trying to access website from another comupter. Had to go to the States for family stuff and unable to get my ICICI account online from my folks computer. Had my husband try on his (here in the UK) and still nothing! But when I got back and tried again from my own computer, instant access.
  • frogman_2
    frogman_2 Posts: 173 Forumite
    Options
    Opened my account last year; which went smoothly. Since then, I've had a couple of issues (always my fault!) which their 0800 customer service has sorted out.

In my experience, the BACS withdrawls tend to take exactly 3 days and the website needs to have a better availablility.

For a relatively simple process, getting the best rate in the UK is a great comfort. Strange how it doesn't even get mentioned in a lot of the mainstream media...
  • buffers
    buffers Posts: 1,220 Forumite
    Options
    Opened a joint account approx a year ago and have had no trouble whatsoever in operating the account. It's a winner as far as we are concerned.:j :T
    Jesus loves you:j Everybody else thinks you're an idiot:rolleyes:
  • um5000
    um5000 Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    Opened a year ago, and the password they sent never worked!
    Tried emailing them, but never got a response at the time.

I called them a few weeks ago and they tried to fix it on-line, didn't work and got a new password sent out.

Impressed that it's a free-phone number helpline! They were pretty helpful too.
    Bit worried that I needed very few security details to convince them who I was over the phone though.. and no interest on my opening quid for a year - guess it's so small per month didn't register..

Seems to work ok now, but still have a worrying feeling there's something potentially dodgy!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure