What frugal find came your way today?

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 23 February 2010 at 7:45PM in Old style MoneySaving
I'm not talking groceries here, (although they are wonderful too:j)

I mean items that you had decided not to purchase but came your way in frugal fashion - asked around for and were gifted, freecycled, found in a skip or on the street, charity shop, or home-made by someone for you.

A couple of weeks ago I was admiring a 'bunny in a box' Easter egg. I really liked this bunny and kept thinking how nice he'd look sitting on our bed :rotfl:The price was an extortionate £6.99! so I didn't feel it was a good buy. I promise you that I only pointed it out to someone I work with and she said 'Oh, I got that last year and its been in the back of the wardrobe ever since. You can have it if you like. I was going to chuck it away to make more room.

I'm so glad I resisted the urge to buy it. Now I have a lovely brown rabbit and saved him from the land-fill

My colleague didn't want anything for him, but I will take her in a couple of home-made muffins next time I bake:)

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• zarazara
    zarazara Posts: 2,264 Forumite
    I found a hazel stick in the hedge, I aim to make it into a walking stick.
    "The purpose of Life is to spread and create Happiness" :j
  • zarazara
    zarazara Posts: 2,264 Forumite
    :)I found some silk flowers in a bin the other week. they look nice in my kitchen kitchen window after a wash and tidy up.
    "The purpose of Life is to spread and create Happiness" :j
  • I inhierited (sp?) a set of three Mason and Cash pudding basins from my nan.
    I LOVE them but the second largest of the set was missing .... found new ones on bay of e for about £25 :eek: I was umming and ahhing for ages (even before I was MSE!) and finally decided it was too much money.

Whilst visting my parents at xmas I saw a pudding basin in CS for 50p - bought it and lo and behold it's the missing basin!!! Couldn't believe my luck! Now everytime I see the 4 basins nestled together it makes me feel all warm and fluffy :)

But of course now I want ALL of the 'missing' the pudding basins

Well done on your rabbit !
    Bon App's Scraps!
    :)
    MFb40 # 13
  • zarazara wrote: »
    I found a hazel stick in the hedge, I aim to make it into a walking stick.

Oh what a nice, creative idea :T
  • Reverbe
    Reverbe Posts: 4,210
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    A free dvd from a token in my flatmates paper, the Sainsburys magazine and a brand new book in the charity shop that I had been looking at at full price - for only £1.
    What Would Bill Buchanan Do?
  • zarazara wrote: »
    :)I found some silk flowers in a bin the other week. they look nice in my kitchen kitchen window after a wash and tidy up.

Nice :) good find
  • I inhierited (sp?) a set of three Mason and Cash pudding basins from my nan.
    I LOVE them but the second largest of the set was missing .... found new ones on bay of e for about £25 :eek: I was umming and ahhing for ages (even before I was MSE!) and finally decided it was too much money.

Whilst visting my parents at xmas I saw a pudding basin in CS for 50p - bought it and lo and behold it's the missing basin!!! Couldn't believe my luck! Now everytime I see the 4 basins nestled together it makes me feel all warm and fluffy :)

But of course now I want ALL of the 'missing' the pudding basins

Well done on your rabbit !

That was lucky:eek:
    It's uncanny how often these things turn up when you just have a little patience isn't it?
  • Reverbe wrote: »
    A free dvd from a token in my flatmates paper, the Sainsburys magazine and a brand new book in the charity shop that I had been looking at at full price - for only £1.

Yay :T That reminds me that I had been looking at a knitting book on Amazon - and found it for £1 in a charity shop too!
  • budgeteer wrote: »

That was lucky:eek:
    It's uncanny how often these things turn up when you just have a little patience isn't it?

Thinking about it the same thing happened with two enamal pie dishes - I had two (no. 2 and 4) and found no. 1 and 3 in a CS ... perfect fit - I must have a good eye :rotfl:
    Bon App's Scraps!
    :)
    MFb40 # 13
  • Icey77
    Icey77 Posts: 1,247
    Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I've been keeping an eye on eBay for an Ikea Leksvik side table. Finally one came up and I can nip over to collect it this week and it was less than half the price of a new one :)
    Whether you think you can or you can’t, you’re probably right ~ Henry Ford
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport