since the Supreme Court decision in Nov 2009 here
REMEMEBER BY DOING THIS YOU ENCOURAGE OTHERS WHO MAY BE TOO SCARED TO RECLAIM

How to report your success/failure:

1. Click reply to enter you story.

2. Report your story in the following format:
  • Bank name:
  • Amount Reclaimed:
  • Amount they paid:
  • The story: (Just a few sentences, please include how far you went did you a. just write a letter, b. threaten to go to court or c. actually go to court)
***** Want to tell your story in a newspaper/on TV? *****

Hi all. If you've had a refund we need your help

Bank Charges is often in the news and we are frequently asked if we have any MoneySavers that are willing to tell their stories to the press.

If you'd like to help spread the news and encourage others, please e-mail [EMAIL="casestudy@moneysavingexpert.com"][email protected][/EMAIL] (sorry but we can't answer questions at this email address) with as much of the following info as you can:

* how much was your claim for
* how much did you get back
* who is your bank
* a daytime phone number - we often need to reach people at very short notice
* whether you are happy to appear in the papers,tv or both
* where you live
NOTE IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS
ABOUT RECLAIMING BANK CHARGES
PLEASE FIRST READ THE GUIDE:
Bank Charges Reclaiming

Comments

• Hi there.

I am kind of in shock at the moment. My story is I sent the first letter to Abbey using the template on this site for claiming under financial hardship on the 16/11/09. Never heard anything from them and when the test case reslut came through on the 25/11/09 I though I would get the standard letter say you will get nothing due to test case blah blah blah. Yesterday morning I got a letter from Abbey dated 03/12/09, saying that they have looked at my claim and taken into account my hardship and as a gesture of goodwill will be refunding unauthorised overdraft charges totaling £1270.00!!!!!!!! They are sending me out a cheque. I originally claimed £2125.00. What the heck? Hope Martin sees this and it helps his case, x
  • I just thought I would post on here to tell everyone that my bank ( Natwest ) rang me last week ( just after the high court judgement ) to confirm my financial hardship and inform me that they are still refunding bank charges! I am now waiting for a letter making me an offer, I have been told by them that they go back 6 years, and this to me would be a considerable amount of money, I am so poor at the moment due to illness and waiting for ESA. so I am waiting eagerly for the offer, then maybe I can buy my daughter some Christmas presents!
    I will post again when I hear from them.
    Received two letters today, one offering me £3006 and one offering £249, for my two accounts: "Having reviewed your financial situation I am happy to make an exceptional offer"
    I can hardly believe it and am still shaking! Needless to say I will accept and should have the money in my account next week.
    I first applied in September, Grateful thanks to Martin, and Money Saving Expert for making this possible!:j :j :j :j :j
  • Received two letters today, one offering me £3006 and one offering £249, for my two accounts: "Having reviewed your financial situation I am happy to make an exceptional offer"
    I can hardly believe it and am still shaking! Needless to say I will accept and should have the money in my account next week.
    I first applied in September, Grateful thanks to Martin, and Money Saving Expert for making this possible!:j :j :j :j :j

Congratulations to you:j:T, gives other peeps some hope!!:beer::beer::beer:
  • Bank: Halifax
    Amount Reclaimed: 5000.00

Amount they paid: 2400.00
    How long did it take: since July 09
    The story: They paid this amount into my bank account last night, since I've had my case looked at by the customer services they have been excellant in helping me, first phoned them at begining of Nov 09 thought that after court case they would not help anymore but nothing was mentioned about case at all they just continued as normal helping me.
    The only thing was that they would only go back 6 years and my claim was from 2001, but i really thought it was all lost, but now can have a great xmas knowing there will be no-one knocking at my door (only santa)
  • Hi all,:wave:
    Just wanted to post to tell people not to give up hope.
    I have been going through reclaiming under financial hardship with HSBC for 25 weeks,it has been a real nightmare and many times my oh has wanted to give up as it has caused a great deal of stress.
    Today we received £3200.00 from HSBC,since the court case they have been very helpful and we are just grateful that it has been sorted out,it was one hell of a fight.
    So just wanted to say dont give up ,keep on to them let them know how desperate your situation is.I wish you all the best of luck.
    Also thanks to Martin and all who post here.xx:A
    :jI am a M.S.E. addict and proud of it.:j
  • Bank: Natwest
    Amount Reclaimed: 1800
    Amount they paid: 1800
    How long did it take: since Sept 09

Wrote a letter to Natwest claiming hardship, they quickly sent reply asking me to fill out financial form. Filled it in and returned, after 2 weeks they sent me a letter saying I had undervalued my income and they didnt think I fell under the hardship category, I then sent them a stern letter with more evidence of hardship and threatening to go to the Ombudsman.

About 2 weeks later the supreme court ruling occured, thought that was it to be honest but I got a letter last week saying they are offering me the full amount :O)

Great Xmas present, thanks to all the guys on the forum especially Martin.

Hope this gives hope to other people to pursue it, you have nothing to lose.
  • The Bank: RBS
    Amount claimed: £2036.75
    Amount offered: £1676.00

The Story: Made redundant in May and still unemployed, I began my claim 28th August 2009, using Martin's excellent guide and template letter, describing my hardship situation...heard nothing for several weeks so wrote again...the bank sent me a form to fill in about my hardship situation, but several weeks after i returned it i got a letter from them to say they hadn't received it and couldn't consider my case without it, but they didn't include another form- I copy every document I get though, and was able to fire back a copy immediately and by recorded delivery this time...:rolleyes: That was nearly 2 months ago to the day, and the court ruling in the banks favour in the meantime sort of led me to think I'd missed the boat, so I was pretty surprised to open my mail today!!!:rotfl:

It's not the full amount I asked for, but it's a tidy bit of surprise cash and I've accepted. Not going to hold out for any more...I can clear my most pressing Visa debt (good bye card forever!) and even have a wee bit left over, not bad after Christmas!!

THANKS MARTIN :money: Have a merry christmas everyone, and the very best of luck to all those still in the process...

ps: Always scan or photocopy EVERYTHING, and post by recorded delivery, it helps you dodge any stalling tactics by any officialdom you're interacting with! ;)
  • Lon
    Lon Posts: 2 Newbie
    Bank: Halifax
    Amount Reclaimed: £797.56 (inc. 8% Interest)
    Amount they paid: £500
    The story:

Sent original letter requesting £797.56(Nov 09), got a reply offering £192, which was the difference between the old £25 charges and new £12. Nearly accepted but read some more posts on here and got inspired! Wrote back(22 Dec 09), saying that i was not happy with the offer and hinted at the court action route using fragments from Martins court threatening letter. I said i would drop the complaint if they paid me £500 within 14 days. Received letter yesterday saying they have credited £500 to my account, checked it on-line and cannot beleive it!

Cannot thank you enough Martin, you are a genius! I bow down!! :money:
    What you are doing is great for consumer rights and the public.

Power to the people!

:T
  • Sappoo21
    Sappoo21 Posts: 114 Forumite
    charges of £7000 with Nationwide under the hardship route they paid me back £330 I found fos pretty crap and Nationwide clawed back about £150 of charges from this but did get back £73 with citi when only had about £110 of charges so they were more considerate. Am I able to still try to claim back more from Nationwide if they have paid some and taken some of it back?
    help much appreciated
  • Yes you can sappo. You need to read thoroughly the lending code section 9(link on my signature).
    I have not worked for NatWest Bank since February 2009

This username is no longer active.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport